Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Made a stupid move and took my car through guided rail car wash

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Made a stupid move and took my car through guided rail car wash

So, I didn't realize it was a guided rail car wash until after I had paid for it. All it said on the outside was that it was touchless. When I realized it wasn't and I was already pulled up, I saw a vehicle behind me and I felt somewhat pressured to just go through so I didn't hold up the line. Anyways, I went through and the first little bit I felt my front left tire rub up against the side and then it got adjusted and it was fine for the rest of the car wash. After leaving I looked and felt it all and it seemed to be fine, I went in to ask if it was indeed metal railing and they said it had a plastic covering over it, so that was a bit of a relief.

When I got home I took my hand and felt the inside of the front left tire (where it rubbed) and I felt this little crack, but it seems so odd. I thought it would have been more rubbed off than cracked if anything, but maybe this is just an anomaly with the rim and it's all fine? I put my phone in the inside of my tire and tried to get some pictures, here they are (I rotated the tire around a bit to get a few different angles):

What do you guys think? I'm never doing that again.. only by wand, I've learned my lesson.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

curb wheel? I've done it at a Taco Bell drive thru, didn't even order anything because they had nothing I wanted.

But their tiny drive way left me with a curb wheel mark on my wheel.

I'm over it now as it's hardly noticeable, and it's just one wheel and its aftermarket.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't believe that is a safety concern and would be glad to see its on the inside where only you are aware it's there.
To me it looks more like damage to the wheel's finish coating.

Great lesson learned, I wouldn't have thought this would happen in a car wash and have warned my wife over and over about avoiding them, which she has, but now I can show her this.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kevin70
I don't believe that is a safety concern and would be glad to see its on the inside where only you are aware it's there.
To me it looks more like damage to the wheel's finish coating.

Great lesson learned, I wouldn't have thought this would happen in a car wash and have warned my wife over and over about avoiding them, which she has, but now I can show her this.
That's exactly what it is. I took it and propped it up a bit in the sunlight so I could see it better and it looks completely fine, just a bit of ridge built up from the coating. I don't think this would have even happened from the car wash, I don't recall it hitting any of the rim there, just a bit of the tire. So it must have came from the factory like this.

Well, close call and lesson learned... only doing wand wash from now on. :-)
Old 07-10-2015, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Just a comment on DIY drive-in (water wand) car washes:
A few years back in a car other than my Audi, I used one of those and while I was on high pressure wash, the brass (I guess it is brass) tip on the water wand (my term) came flying off and hit the car. It left a tiny chip that luckily I was able to hide and mostly rub out. It was a lesson learned. The spray tips are threaded on and this one had loosened up (I guess with all the vibration it gets) and at just the right time in its life came flying off under the high water pressure. Now I test all the tips by hand, making sure they are fully tight, before I pull the trigger. I keep a Leatherman tool with me in case I have to tighten one, but haven’t had to since that one sorta bad incident.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have any suggestions of products that help to lower curb rash... Specifically the face side? Found some foam looking stuff on Amazon that goes on the lip but I'm in the fence about it.

4 Pack Rimskins - Car Rim Protector (Silver) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JW3EWVE/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_crtPvb8ABJTVD

Last edited by mroberte; 07-14-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

here you go...

Amazon.com: Superior 26-6441 Chrome 10" Long Adjust-O-Matic Curb Feeler: Automotive Amazon.com: Superior 26-6441 Chrome 10" Long Adjust-O-Matic Curb Feeler: Automotive

Old 07-19-2015, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran my wife's van through one once and it ripped the back bumper off. The wash at first wouldn't pay to have it fixed saying their equipment doesn't do that. It was a fight but they eventually did. Never will I go through any automated car wash again.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I stopped going to automated car washes, they make swirls on the metallic paint which I don't like.

Lately after my last detailing visit, I've been going to the Touchless laser car wash.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bring a bucket, car suds, and some towels to the WAND.
And quarters but some take CC
And go late at night to avoid any hassle. The wand stalls are a ghost town after 9 pm. And no one will complain about you taking up time. They are always lit. I've gone as late as midnight sometimes

i use the minimum quarters to clean and fill the bucket as well as soak the car and lightly spray with final rinse setting. NEVER use high pressure on your paint or even wheels (if u got the 19s)
then i lather a micro fiber and clean in top to bottom. A final rinse does the trick.
dry up. flawless everytime

Quick Reply: Made a stupid move and took my car through guided rail car wash