Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Retrofits and CAN bus

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofits and CAN bus

I知 in the process of retrofitting the TPMS sensor and Audi side assist in an Audi A3 8V. The user manual states that side assist should be connected to the CAN bus extended in the red connector behind the steering wheel, and TPMS should be connected to the CAN bus extended in the black connector in the A pillar on the driver's side.
Is it possible to splice both cables together to the CAN bus behind the steering wheel? Can two cables be connected together in the same splice?
Old 01-27-2023, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

the TPMS and Side Assist cables can go into the can-bus together. There are two wires for each system one for can high and one for can low. Ports 7 and 17 in the canbus port.

the canbus is located behind the steering column not the steering wheel. You will need to remove the lower dashboard cover to access it easily.

if both your systems have the aftermarket port combining connectors which dont require cutting or stripping of the wires to connect, then you can just connect the wires sequentially.

Originally Posted by Morten88
I知 in the process of retrofitting the TPMS sensor and Audi side assist in an Audi A3 8V. The user manual states that side assist should be connected to the CAN bus extended in the red connector behind the steering wheel, and TPMS should be connected to the CAN bus extended in the black connector in the A pillar on the driver's side.
Is it possible to splice both cables together to the CAN bus behind the steering wheel? Can two cables be connected together in the same splice?
Old 01-30-2023, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AUDI CANBUS

I have a question for mod hub.
I bought this system from aliexpress and it required me to mess with my can bus. It was wires 13 and 31 and 18 and 54 which is positive and negative. I did everything properly and connected everything and I was getting codes for random systems failing. So I was removing the retrofit and installing it back to em spec until I accidentally snapped the pins off of 13 and 31. I tried to solder them together but I don't think that worked. I then checked the fuses to see if they were broken or burnt but they seem in fine condition. I now don't have my virtual cockpit, safety features, transmission selector, navigation, mmi (radio and bluetooth work). I need to fix this asap and I am very scared nothing can be done.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

First of all, what car are you driving?

portsat that number would seem to suggest you are driving a MLB type car rather than MQB.

also what are you installing? Even after connecting cables, there would generally be a coding process for the new modules.

as for the snapped pins, I知 unsure of how you managed to snap the pins. But usually that would require brand new pins and to pare the wire back a bit if required and crimp the new pins on.

soldering it may be restricting the pins from being inserted fully.

you will need to find the pins from an automotive parts stockist.

Originally Posted by Avi Patel
I have a question for mod hub.
I bought this system from aliexpress and it required me to mess with my can bus. It was wires 13 and 31 and 18 and 54 which is positive and negative. I did everything properly and connected everything and I was getting codes for random systems failing. So I was removing the retrofit and installing it back to em spec until I accidentally snapped the pins off of 13 and 31. I tried to solder them together but I don't think that worked. I then checked the fuses to see if they were broken or burnt but they seem in fine condition. I now don't have my virtual cockpit, safety features, transmission selector, navigation, mmi (radio and bluetooth work). I need to fix this asap and I am very scared nothing can be done.