Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Road Bike in S3 and Other Size Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road Bike in S3 and Other Size Questions

I am heavily leaning towards a 2018 S3, but am really concerned about the size coming from my B8 S4.

Anyone fit a 58cm road bike in the trunk? No problems with my S4 (front wheel off, seat down).

Any other scenarios where you have found the S3 too small? I almost never have someone in the back, but may occasionally have my 3 year old or infant daughter.

Considering a new S4 as well, but seems more luxury than sport now. :/

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2017, 07:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I have done exactly what you are describing. I removed BOTH wheels (a new Specialized Allez Comp Race) and used a coulpe of blankets to prevent any grotty transfer tot he carpets. My bike was a 58cm frame. Hope this helps...Elena
Old 08-28-2017, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have no doubts it will fit with both wheels off. Have you tried fitting it with the rear wheel still attached? I may just bring my bike to the dealer and hope they let me try to fit it in an A3 loaner or even a new A3.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 2015 with a 58cm road bike. With the seats down, and the front wheel off, I could carefully fit the bike inside. The limiting distance was chainring to saddle and the distance between the car's rear wheels. I had maybe an inch to spare, and had to be careful which way my pedals were oriented. I'm roughly 73cm BB-Saddle.

I haven't tried my 2017/2018 RS3 but expect it'll be identical.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for responding! I actually brought my bike to the dealer today and was NOT able to fit it in an A3. My limiting distance was the bottom of the tire to saddle, but I only tried with the handlebars facing in towards the front of the car. Maybe it would fit with the tire towards the front of the car...

Regardless, I'm in the process of placing an order for a 2018 S3, assuming all the numbers work out. Worst case scenario I need to remove my rear tire and/or use a roof rack.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I went in from the trunk with the rear tire facing the front, and handle-bars in last. good luck!

I was stunned at how much stuff my wife got in the RS3 trunk this weekend - a large suitcase, a small suitcase, a few laptop bagss, two 5 gallon pails of fruit, and small cooler, and more bags of fruit. with four of us in the car.