Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

RS sport exhaust for 2022 RS3

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2022, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default RS sport exhaust for 2022 RS3

I have this question of what is in the RS sport exhaust package for the 2022 RS3. Is it just for looking or it actually is a different exhaust to the standard one that sounds different? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2022, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

It’s a different exhaust to the stock version. It has a slightly more aggressive sound, as well as active damper “flaps” that can open/close to adjust the sound depending on drive mode.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by royalnewjersey
It’s a different exhaust to the stock version. It has a slightly more aggressive sound, as well as active damper “flaps” that can open/close to adjust the sound depending on drive mode.
Thanks for the answer. Do you know if that would be the same as the exhaust system on the 8V RS3? Because from what I read from the forum, it seems to be a somewhat noticeable difference to someone, while others said it barely makes a difference, especially the ones on the RS5.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jkliao648
Thanks for the answer. Do you know if that would be the same as the exhaust system on the 8V RS3? Because from what I read from the forum, it seems to be a somewhat noticeable difference to someone, while others said it barely makes a difference, especially the ones on the RS5.
I can't speak from experience since no one in the US has a heard an 8Y RS3 yet. But from all of the reviews I've watched of cars overseas, the reviewers say that the new 8Y RS3 performance exhaust is louder and more exciting than the outgoing 8V. And those are UK/Euro spec'd cars that have extra baffling for spark mitigation regulations. Audi is on record saying the 8Y cars in USA will be even louder than European cars since they don't have those baffles. So I'd say there's a good chance most people will be able to hear a solid difference.

Overall, exhaust is such a subjective thing. One person might think a car is too quiet, another thinks the same car is too loud. It all depends on your personal preference / tolerances to NVH. The only thing I can say is that if you don't upgrade to the performance exhaust, you won't get all the wiring and programming to do a valved exhaust (even aftermarket) - so it might be worth getting just for the potential of valved aftermarket exhaust systems down the line.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by royalnewjersey
All modern S and RS cars have the flap
Old 06-20-2022, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
All modern S and RS cars have the flap
Does that mean it's more of a cosmetic improvement for black tips than a sound improvement to the exhaust?
Old 06-20-2022, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jkliao648
Does that mean it's more of a cosmetic improvement for black tips than a sound improvement to the exhaust?
No, it will be a sound improvement. Standard “A” and “S” cars do technically have flaps is what he was saying.

but those are generally used for cruising in V4 mode or for startup reasons or whatever. The performance exhaust option has a different muffler altogether, so regardless of the flaps, it will sound better, and react to your drive modes.
Old 09-25-2022, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Just bringing this back to the top with a question. I am on the waiting list for an RS3 allocation and my build does not include the Sport Exhaust. I didn't want to spend the $1,000 because I know I'll probably get an aftermarket exhaust at some point. Do both the standard exhaust and Sport Exhaust feature the flap control? Do they both get louder when you press the RS Mode button? Just from reading above, it sounds like they do. My salesman couldn't tell me.
Old 09-25-2022, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by JetDriver77
Just bringing this back to the top with a question. I am on the waiting list for an RS3 allocation and my build does not include the Sport Exhaust. I didn't want to spend the $1,000 because I know I'll probably get an aftermarket exhaust at some point. Do both the standard exhaust and Sport Exhaust feature the flap control? Do they both get louder when you press the RS Mode button? Just from reading above, it sounds like they do. My salesman couldn't tell me.
yes
The following users liked this post:
JetDriver77 (09-25-2022)