Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

RS3 vs S5 sportback Decision..decision..

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS3 vs S5 sportback Decision..decision..

Hey guys,
Today I would like to get some advice and comments from you guys.
I am 2017 S3 saloon owner but got into an accident and it turns out to be a total write off. and now i am forced to be back in market.
I did test drive both RS3 and S5 sportback a couple times and after thoughts and thoughts, I cannot really come up with a final desicion.
Not to mention that i had S3.. so I know pretty much everything about RS3 other than the performance, so if I go for RS3 I am kind of worried that it will be too similar, and rationally speaking, I think S5 is a all around, well-refined GT.
From my perspective, both cars look great outside but S5 has a WAY BETTER interior and features. I thought S3 & RS3 have clean and neat interior, but after sitting in S5, those two felt like little bit out-dated to be honest.
A3 family got FL recently but we will get full change model less than 3-4 years i believe. This worries me a bit too. On the other hand, S5 just came out.
After looking at various videos on youtube, I was expecting that at least RS3 will outperform S5 badly, but well.. I could definitely feel that RS3 got better sound and more power but did not really see the HUGE difference in real life. It was not a whole new level of performance.
If I want to feel that "RS feeling" in a RS3, I really had to push it hard.
My local dealership offers little better deal with S5 sportback as well.

My head tells me that S5 is rationally a good purchase, but somehow.. i just keep thinking about Nardo grey RS3.
Sorry guys.. may be I am just way too indecisive
I am 28. not married. 9 out 10 times, I will be the only one who will be in a car. It's good to have extra space and luxury features, but It is not a must.
And most importantly, RS3 is still a class leading pocket rocket.

What would you guys do?
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Havingt had both. I prefer the RS3. The S5 feels so heavy and big. Less nimble. It crushes the RS3 as far as features. seat massagers were cool but I the S5 never made me feel the way the RS does.. I had to get used to it being small but I like it now cause of how agile the car feels. One thing I feel that the RS3 lacks is the full RS design. Could argue it's an S3 at the end of the day. Loved that about my RS4.. You knew it was an RS and not an S4. That being said I do not regret my decision one bit. The car is a blast to drive and own. I have kids and I am pretty active so space has not slowed me down. The RS3 is my daily. Just my opinion but I never got excited driving the S5.. Was a nice Sedan. the RS3 feels much more like a sports car in relation and the proof is in the Butt dyno . ;-)

Last edited by andru1313; 04-18-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I went through that cycle, did an excel matrix of attributes of what I want in a car, and loaded in all the stuff I was looking at - RS3, S5, M2, M4, S7 and R8 as the dark horse.... I know.. diverse collection. I based it on price where some new, some used to get to roughly the same pricepoint. Ended up getting a used R8. For my metrics, S5 ended up last on my list, though I've always loved it. Right now I have an R8 and an S3 as a daily driver. RS3 is a monster, but still the most expensive version of Audi's cheapest car and it shows in a number of areas. R8 was a way better choice for me, though I do miss the virtual cockpit.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well you're in the RS3/S3 sub-forum so I think you can guess what most of us here will choose. The RS3 is a pretty amazing vehicle. It's fast, nimble, and is overall fun to drive. It likely won't be in production for too many years so this is your chance to get one (new). I haven't driven the S5 but it looks nice, especially with the sport back, and is surely more practical if that's a real use case for you. It's not as nimble as the RS3 but maybe that's not as important to you. Also, what you said about previously owning an S3 is a good point. Change is healthy.

Bottom line is that only you will know what will make you happy and what you'll regret if you choose wrong.

So choose the RS3 haha
Old 04-19-2018, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

RS3
Old 04-20-2018, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went through the same thing recently. I have an R8 that is "my car" and only I drive it. This was to be a "family fun" car I chose the S5 SB because of the more creature comforts and power seats. My wife and son drive it all the time. All the RS3 I could find at the time had dynamic plus which was a no-no to me as well. Still, a small part of me wants an RS car so I am on the list for the RS5 SB at my dealer.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

S4....split the difference...best of both worlds. The S5SB is too big and honestly will not age well. The RS3 is just too small & lacks a lot of good features the S4 has.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went through the same process a few months back. I may be older than you and the creature comforts and flexibility of the sportback won out. I still want an RS3 and love the car but I believe it would have gotten a little old for me and Id be wanting the flexibility and comfort of the S5 SB. As a third car in the household, maybe. The s5 is fast enough and I enjoy it in the 100 or so miles I drive a day through the Texas hill country. I got the S5 with all the bells and whistles for less than I would have gotten the RS3. The RS would have been more dynamic and "nimble" during my ride no doubt and I am sure that 5 Cyl would wake up the neighborhood in the mornings while putting a grin on my face but the S5 is a great compromise. On to the best of both worlds with the RS5 SBK when it comes around.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

After 3 years of ownership I traded my 2015 A5 in on a 2018 S3 just today. Although the A5 is a beautifully designed car I found it very large outside and very small inside. i did not like the driving position. Although I have only been an S3 owner for just a couple of hours I already feel much more comfortable in the car. It wants to run and I'm looking forward to running with it.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff968
After 3 years of ownership I traded my 2015 A5 in on a 2018 S3 just today. Although the A5 is a beautifully designed car I found it very large outside and very small inside. i did not like the driving position. Although I have only been an S3 owner for just a couple of hours I already feel much more comfortable in the car. It wants to run and I'm looking forward to running with it.
Congrats on the new ride!

Quick Reply: RS3 vs S5 sportback Decision..decision..