Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S3 sort of "squirelly" behavior

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S3 sort of "squirelly" behavior

I posted but must be in wrong forum-I have just 1,000 miles on my S3-19" pkg with Conti Contact sports -anybody noticed that on any road surface, other than super smooth, when going highway speeds that the car seems for lack of a better word, "squirelly"-seems to move side to side and requires constant steering corrections. Does not appear to be any alignment problem, as the car will track true on a smooth surface and at lower speeds. Any thoughts-going to the dealer on Mon, but I know they'll tell me it's fine. Coming from a 15 y old TT (Mk1), just for referrence.
I would appreciate any input from owners of the S3, and would like to also know what tires are on your cars.
Thanks
Old 03-13-2015, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hmunster2
I posted but must be in wrong forum-I have just 1,000 miles on my S3-19" pkg with Conti Contact sports -anybody noticed that on any road surface, other than super smooth, when going highway speeds that the car seems for lack of a better word, "squirelly"-seems to move side to side and requires constant steering corrections. Does not appear to be any alignment problem, as the car will track true on a smooth surface and at lower speeds. Any thoughts-going to the dealer on Mon, but I know they'll tell me it's fine. Coming from a 15 y old TT (Mk1), just for referrence.
I would appreciate any input from owners of the S3, and would like to also know what tires are on your cars.
Thanks
Your steering rack could be defective. Mine did that (exactly as you described) from the day one I purchased the vehicle. I took it to the dealership. They said a defective rack so they replaced the rack and reprogramed the steering. Now it is a lot better. It is still Audi steering so it is not going to be perfect but it is a lot better now.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Question, does it feel like the wind is pushing your car around but there is no wind? Like an 18 wheel passing you at like 60 mph faster then you're currently going? Only you're alone on the road going highway speeds.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I only have 300 miles on my S3 and I thought I know I felt that at one point but have not really experienced it again so for me it could have been the wind. I felt it on an overpass/onramp that was on a curve.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Audis or VWs 4Life
Question, does it feel like the wind is pushing your car around but there is no wind? Like an 18 wheel passing you at like 60 mph faster then you're currently going? Only you're alone on the road going highway speeds.
Exactly, better description than mine.
What do you think? If they can't find out what it is, or if this is just the car itself, I'm getting rid of it. It takes all the pleasure out of driving, feels very unsure on the road
Old 03-16-2015, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

The conti summer tires are going to tramline a lot more than any all season tire, if that is what you are coming from...
Old 03-25-2015, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

this is happening to my brand new S3 as well.. very annoying and it doesn't really track in a straight line on highways. is there a definitive way to tell if the steering rack is defective without taking it into the dealership?
Old 03-25-2015, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by blam89
this is happening to my brand new S3 as well.. very annoying and it doesn't really track in a straight line on highways. is there a definitive way to tell if the steering rack is defective without taking it into the dealership?
In my car it was also clunking when turning steering. After Audi replaced the rack and reprogrammed the steering it now works great. I dont feel any jerkiness or anything like that at highway speed anymore. Something obviously was done to get it work properly. If my S3 was fixed I see no reason why yours cant be.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks. My dealership called me to followup on the car before I posted here and I mentioned the car seemed to track to the left ever so slightly (alignment is off a bit) but I neglected to tell him about the 'squirreling' effects. Did you have to pay for having the dealership check out your car?

I may give it another week or two before deciding to bring her back to the dealer for a checkup. money is tight right now and dont want to be handed another bill.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think that you need to pay for the diagnostic tests when your car is symptomatic. The dealer will gladly deal with your issues if they can replicate. They will do everything to bring the car back to the factory specs and try to make your ownership experience as smooth as they can. I dealt with Audi. AOA is extremely responsive to those kinda issues. I would call AOA and have a customer relation agent call directly to the service manager. After that rest is assured that your car will a receive very thorough attention. It is Audi's obligation to keep your car within factory specs for the first 4year or 50,000 miles.

Quick Reply: S3 sort of "squirelly" behavior