Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S3 Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S3 Transmission Issues

Hi Guys,

I have a 2018 S3 with approximately 17k miles at this time. I have had noticeable issues with the transmission over time since about 6k miles. Ive had 2 instances of a very loud thud from the transmission under hard acceleration coming from a stop. I've also had a similar thud in manual mode normally going to second gear. I've also had numerous occasions of the car going out of gear under light acceleration coming from a stop as well. The gear indicator is blank at the time when this happens, I let off the throttle and then it catches in gear again back to D.

Ive brought it to the dealership and mentioned all of these issues and they said they couldnt find any problems. No codes and they couldnt replicate any of the problems. Ive had the car since new and its getting progressively worse. I was thinking maybe a transmission flush might help? Just because any codes havent been stored doesnt mean there isnt a problem right? Has any else experienced any of these issues?
The following users liked this post:
Jly888 (10-24-2019)
Old 10-30-2018, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We all get hard shifts sometimes, it's a function of the dual shift tranny - but I don't know that I would call it a THUD... maybe. Its particular to downshifting.

How loud is it on a scale from 1 - 10?

Old 10-31-2018, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thud was a solid 10. It felt like the transmission was going to drop from the car. Never heard anything like it in all of the vehicles I've driven...
Old 11-03-2018, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rcracer2471
The thud was a solid 10. It felt like the transmission was going to drop from the car. Never heard anything like it in all of the vehicles I've driven...
Yeah, that's not normal, how many times has it happened?
Old 11-05-2018, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing has happened to me a few times. Tends to happen in manual mode if you forget to shift and let it run all the way to redline. Feels like you hit a huge pothole.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

I have a 2018 S3 with approximately 17k miles at this time. I have had noticeable issues with the transmission over time since about 6k miles. Ive had 2 instances of a very loud thud from the transmission under hard acceleration coming from a stop. I've also had a similar thud in manual mode normally going to second gear. I've also had numerous occasions of the car going out of gear under light acceleration coming from a stop as well. The gear indicator is blank at the time when this happens, I let off the throttle and then it catches in gear again back to D.

Ive brought it to the dealership and mentioned all of these issues and they said they couldnt find any problems. No codes and they couldnt replicate any of the problems. Ive had the car since new and its getting progressively worse. I was thinking maybe a transmission flush might help? Just because any codes havent been stored doesnt mean there isnt a problem right? Has any else experienced any of these issues?
I meant to respond to this post sorry new to this forum, I’ll copy and paste

Have you had this issue resolved ? My 2018 a3 Makes these clattering noises at low speeds. With more and more frequency almost a handful of times, it will slam into like a downshift. I always check to see if i have been rear ended because it’s that bad. I haven’t taken it to the dealer. I had what i thought were issues with the tranny on my 2016 a3 but nothing like this. These jerks are violent.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi Guys,

I have the same problem for my s3 2018. I just picked it up from the dealership and they couldn't find anything. They did the same tests you mentionned but nothing came up. Not even on the computer journal.

Keep us posted if you find the problem. I will do the same
Old 10-25-2019, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Not an expert and no personal experience of this kind but may I offer a speculation. The problem seems to be sporadic (otherwise the dealer would see it easily), is not progressing quickly and leaves no codes. So lets eliminate the least likely. If there physical damage to the gears or clutches, the symptoms would become quickly more apparent. Faulty solenoid would likely display a code. That leaves the gear oil, wrong level or local contamination.
I recently tried to get a quote from a non-Audi place on cost of doing the 40k mile service i.e. oil and filter change. Now Audi has a very specific and time consuming procedure to verify that the oil level is correct, otherwise damage can result they say. Well this guy who claims 20 years experience with VAG cars said all they do i drain an refill with exact same amount and nobody is complaining. He was emphatic. The problem with his method is that if the level is wrong it will be repeated and secondly as the car is not idled or shifted through the gears (this needs to be done at an exact temperature) as the level is checked some grunge which may be lodged in a control circuit will not be flushed. You will also find bad web advice of the same kind.
So as a long shot you might try having the DSG service done early.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Update??

Hi Guys,

hi did you fix or find the source to ur problem??
Old 05-23-2023, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I apologize for bringing up this old thread. I had a similar issue with my car, it was stuck in limp mode. After extensive diagnosis, it turns out that the mechatronic unit fails, it triggers multiple codes causing my transmission to go to limp mode. I did a lot of searches on this issue and came on in depth article which may be worth reading, search for " Audi transmission problems on YOUCANIC" and you will see an article that goes over common causes and possible fixes, you can read about it yourself. I hope this information can assist someone else with a similar issue.