Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models
Old 07-29-2016, 10:20 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Send To Car feature, Audi Connect, Navi Update!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Send To Car feature, Audi Connect, Navi Update!!!

If you have AUDI CONNECT please read the entire thread.

FIRST, SEND TO CAR:

(no reply in the fb group, so here we go again)

1. Question
Has anyone been able to get SEND TO CAR on google maps (on pc) to actually, SEND TO CAR?
It says it's working, in google maps. but it's not showing up in the car.
FWIW, it's not intended for this to work on your mobile device, only on a pc.

2. Go Around
Purchase an app called SEND TO PHONE in your phone's marketplace. it's $3.99. you can verify it works before paying.
I bought it, it works.
Send To Car
Allows you to use the native map app in the mobile device to send destinations to your car.
A lot easier and more reliable than using a car's system IMO.

3. Cool Option
Using the mmi app works. you can use the app on your mobile device to choose a listing/contact in your phone's directory,
and SEND TO PHONE. tried it, it works. It also has a FIND MY CAR option which is handy if you live in a big metro area.

I'd REALLY like to hear back from some of you who have tried to use SEND TO CAR before I speak with Audi this week!!!

NEXT UP, A MAP UPDATE!

I have downloaded the new 2015 Digital Map update for Navi.
edit, I had to remove the link b/c my "public link" dropbox links were suspended, b/c of this!
just go and log into myaudi and get it.

You will need about 15 min to download. and 15-20 to upload.
You should drive your car around the block after loading it, just in case, to charge the battery.
Or you can upload it during your commute.

I would like to hear back from you. Please chime in with your input regarding Send To Car.

Thank you!!!

Last edited by RyanS3; 02-15-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

I regularly use Send to Car in my RS5. Older gen MMI, but this part works the same. Make sure the account name you configure in myAudi is the same you are using in Google Maps. This may or may not be the same as the email address you use to login to myAudi.

Following is an older screen capture, but the current screen doesn't look much different. Configure the account name you want to use and then use the same in Google Maps.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ryan,

I have had endless trouble getting send to car to work. While i can get the destination entered and sent from either the mmi app or google maps, when I go to actually select the destination, it doesn't parse correctly into the nav.

I just get an error message (forget the exact wording) that says the destination cannot be entered and must be done manually. The only workaround I have found is to actually add the online destination as a contact in my directory and then to use the GPS entry.

Have you had this issue as well?

I haven't heard of that app send to car...I'll have to check it out.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,069 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by dlmmail18
Ryan,

I have had endless trouble getting send to car to work. While i can get the destination entered and sent from either the mmi app or google maps, when I go to actually select the destination, it doesn't parse correctly into the nav.

I just get an error message (forget the exact wording) that says the destination cannot be entered and must be done manually. The only workaround I have found is to actually add the online destination as a contact in my directory and then to use the GPS entry.

Have you had this issue as well?

I haven't heard of that app send to car...I'll have to check it out.
When you select the online destination in the MMI, make sure you select the address with the flag next to it. That's the actual location with GPS coordinates from Google Maps. The second address below that is the human readable version. If you select that one, the MMI has to parse it which may or may not work depending on the format.

Take the following example. The highlighted address is the actual location. The one below is the mailing address. I picked this example, because it highlights the important difference. The mailing address of Amillias is Melville Rd, but the restaurant is actually in the back of the building accessible from Locust St. Google Maps knows this and sends the correct GPS coordinates to the MMI, which are closer to Locust St than they are to Melville Rd. Sometimes you may even just see GPS coordinates as the destination.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got the Maps update. Installed fairly quickly.

As far as the Send to Car, I rarely use the feature from my computer. I've used the MMI Connect app on my iPhone, and search google destinations through that. It has worked without fail every single time I've used it. It's a free app. Then I just pull the directions up from the saved Online Destinations in my Navigation menu.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, sending to my MMI works every time.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
When you select the online destination in the MMI, make sure you select the address with the flag next to it. That's the actual location with GPS coordinates from Google Maps. The second address below that is the human readable version. If you select that one, the MMI has to parse it which may or may not work depending on the format.

Take the following example. The highlighted address is the actual location. The one below is the mailing address. I picked this example, because it highlights the important difference. The mailing address of Amillias is Melville Rd, but the restaurant is actually in the back of the building accessible from Locust St. Google Maps knows this and sends the correct GPS coordinates to the MMI, which are closer to Locust St than they are to Melville Rd. Sometimes you may even just see GPS coordinates as the destination.

Thanks for the tip. I think I actually read this online somewhere (might have even been one of your posts). Unfortunately, neither address seems to work for me.

The only thing that works is adding as a contact. At that point there is a third 'address' added which is essentially a set of GPS coordinates. This works for me...but neither of the other two.

Did any of you guys have to set any settings to get your send to car working? Something like setting a default city, or something else?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Tried the app, didn't work. Better off using the free one from Audi. Just gave $3 to someone as a test. Hahah.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1st off, thank you to everyone who has replied thus far!

Originally Posted by Storm982
As far as the Send to Car, I rarely use the feature from my computer.
you say rarely, but that implies it worked for you?
you used Send to Car, by using google maps on your pc, to successfully send an address to your car?

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Yep, sending to my MMI works every time.
you used Send to Car, by using google maps on your pc, to successfully send an address to your car?
or you're using the MMI app? which works for me.

Originally Posted by Syrome
Tried the app, didn't work. Better off using the free one from Audi. Just gave $3 to someone as a test. Hahah.
I used their free test prior. it worked.
I paid the $3. deleted the free app. and the real app works.
perhaps go back and try the free app?
Old 02-16-2015, 09:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It works for me by using the send to car from google maps on my laptop.
I'm running Android, and installed a Send to car app on my LG G3. It works from there as well.

Quick Reply: Send To Car feature, Audi Connect, Navi Update!!!