Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Some MMI / Nav / Audi Connect questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some MMI / Nav / Audi Connect questions

Hi All - I ended up buying a new 2015 A3 Quattro sedan from the local dealer recently - it was still brand new and the price was right so I took the plunge. The car still included the trial subscriptions for Sirius XM and Audi Connect but now I have some questions about what happens if I let these subscriptions expire.

a) I presume Goolge Earth in the nav requires the Audi Connect subscription to be active?

b) Ditto for the "online destination" feature when looking up addresses in the nav?

c) Where does the nav get traffic info? Is it via internet (Audi Connect), Sirius XM traffic service, or will it revert to one if I don't have the other?

d) I assume the address / POI info are stored in the car's memory and not kept up to date online even if Audi Connect is on? Same for the (non-Google Earth) maps? The only way to update these is to download latest from Audi on to an SD card and upload it to the car?
Old 02-25-2017, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by machthree
Hi All - I ended up buying a new 2015 A3 Quattro sedan from the local dealer recently - it was still brand new and the price was right so I took the plunge. The car still included the trial subscriptions for Sirius XM and Audi Connect but now I have some questions about what happens if I let these subscriptions expire.

a) I presume Goolge Earth in the nav requires the Audi Connect subscription to be active?

b) Ditto for the "online destination" feature when looking up addresses in the nav?

c) Where does the nav get traffic info? Is it via internet (Audi Connect), Sirius XM traffic service, or will it revert to one if I don't have the other?

d) I assume the address / POI info are stored in the car's memory and not kept up to date online even if Audi Connect is on? Same for the (non-Google Earth) maps? The only way to update these is to download latest from Audi on to an SD card and upload it to the car?
a) Yes

b) Yes

c) With your MY it comes through SiriusXM and requires a separate traffic subscription. I believe it still comes with a 4-year complimentary subscription.

d) Correct, the POI stored on the car are part of the map data and need to be manually updated. They are severely out of date, though even if updated. With Audi connect you get Google Local Voice search, so you can make online POI searches. For example press the voice control button on the steering wheel and say "Google search Starbucks near me" or just "Google search Starbucks". It understands pretty much anything Google understands. You can also do a Google search using the MMI controls instead of using voice, but voice is a lot faster and easier.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superswiss
a) Yes

b) Yes

c) With your MY it comes through SiriusXM and requires a separate traffic subscription. I believe it still comes with a 4-year complimentary subscription.

d) Correct, the POI stored on the car are part of the map data and need to be manually updated. They are severely out of date, though even if updated. With Audi connect you get Google Local Voice search, so you can make online POI searches. For example press the voice control button on the steering wheel and say "Google search Starbucks near me" or just "Google search Starbucks". It understands pretty much anything Google understands. You can also do a Google search using the MMI controls instead of using voice, but voice is a lot faster and easier.
Thank you!