Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Sway bars and other suspension components

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fairfax 4.0T
salvadorik, have you tried driving your S3 with the suspension in the automatic mode? It gives a comfortable ride when simply driving along, but I believe the car senses when you're cornering or pushing it, and firms things up.
Yeah I tried it. It is what it is. It just the way the S3's suspension is set up. Nothing bad here I just got used to a different ride. I will have to mod the suspension anyways. Thx for your response though.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by salvadorik
I got H&R RSB installed. It made a significant improvement in body roll. I think it is a must have mod for anyone who bought an S3. I will however go further and have the front bar installed as well. This car needs to be stiffer. If I could I would proceed with braces and strut bars etc to further stiffen up the chassis. The stock springs are too soft. That needs the swap as well for better ones. I dont wanna rash with H&R springs. I am waiting to see if other better options roll out to the market soon.

The springs are perfect for me, I like it stock, unless it wasn't a daily driver or I was tracking it (obviously).

The real problem, IMO, is that the lateral stiffness is simply not equal front to rear, I think bars on the front might be a mistake. But I'm not an expert by any means.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, OP, what are you planning to do with the suspensions?
I'm looking at B14 with H&R Sways (front and rear).
Old 03-13-2015, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by reyoasian
So, OP, what are you planning to do with the suspensions?
I'm looking at B14 with H&R Sways (front and rear).
Good plans you have my friend.

I already did rear bar. I will place an order on the front bar as well soon. I am just trying to find cheapest vendor with free shipping.

As far as getting rid of mag ride and swapping them with aftermarket coilovers, I am not going to rash here. The manufacturers keep rolling out the new products as this car very new in the market. Once it matures and there is a well accepted set of coilovers among enthusiasts comes out then I will make a move. Right now I am taking it one step at a time. It is kinda pricy as well to do everything all at once.

As I said in the beginning, I need the suspension that is comfy (perhaps even more comfortable than the stock set up), confidence inspiring, planted, and very little body roll. S3' bouncy characteristic needs to be eradicated once and for all!
Old 03-13-2015, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Good plans you have my friend.

I already did rear bar. I will place an order on the front bar as well soon. I am just trying to find cheapest vendor with free shipping.

As far as getting rid of mag ride and swapping them with aftermarket coilovers, I am not going to rash here. The manufacturers keep rolling out the new products as this car very new in the market. Once it matures and there is a well accepted set of coilovers among enthusiasts comes out then I will make a move. Right now I am taking it one step at a time. It is kinda pricy as well to do everything all at once.

As I said in the beginning, I need the suspension that is comfy (perhaps even more comfortable than the stock set up), confidence inspiring, planted, and very little body roll. S3' bouncy characteristic needs to be eradicated once and for all!
KW DDC coilovers would work with Mag Ride but cost an arm and a leg. I'm still shopping around, depending on price variance might go for H&R Street Performance, or KW V2....
Old 03-13-2015, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

KW DDC coilovers would work with Mag Ride but cost an arm and a leg. I'm still shopping around, depending on price variance might go for H&R Street Performance, or KW V2....
And B14? What about B14? Is it good?

KW DDC coilovers - what about them? Are they really worth the price?
Old 03-14-2015, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

And B14? What about B14? Is it good?

KW DDC coilovers - what about them? Are they really worth the price?
B14 is the best bang-for-buck for street use. It's decently-priced with great quality. It lacks damping adjustment but that's because it's built to be a 1-way adjustable coilover. However, it won't work with your Magnetic ride.

I believe KW DDC coilovers are plug-and-play for Audi's Magnetic Ride or VW DCC, however they're quite expensive.

With variable shocks, I think your best bet is to go with springs. Personally, I'm not a fan of springs at all though.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

B14 is the best bang-for-buck for street use. It's decently-priced with great quality. It lacks damping adjustment but that's because it's built to be a 1-way adjustable coilover. However, it won't work with your Magnetic ride.

I believe KW DDC coilovers are plug-and-play for Audi's Magnetic Ride or VW DCC, however they're quite expensive.

With variable shocks, I think your best bet is to go with springs. Personally, I'm not a fan of springs at all though.
Thanks for the response. When you say you are not a fan of the springs at all you mean S3 stock springs. right? Yes, the stock springs are very soft and they don't seem to have enough resistance to work well with the dampers. The stock springs need to be changed for sure.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the response. When you say you are not a fan of the springs at all you mean S3 stock springs. right? Yes, the stock springs are very soft and they don't seem to have enough resistance to work well with the dampers. The stock springs need to be changed for sure.
I'm not a fan of lowering springs of any kind, on stock shocks. Coilovers are always #1 option for me. This is also why I would never opt for options such as Mag Ride (for any vehicle).
Old 03-19-2015, 05:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm not a fan of lowering springs of any kind, on stock shocks. Coilovers are always #1 option for me. This is also why I would never opt for options such as Mag Ride (for any vehicle).
For anyone thinking of a spring change or coilovers, you should check out MSS Kits. Fully Adjustable Performance Spring Kits. I used to own a TT RS which had the magna ride suspension. William at MSS developed a spring kit with Eibach that vastly improved the TTRS handling. On the track and off. He now has several versions for different cars. An upgraded rear antisway bar and a set of his springs was a much more cost effective solution than coilovers.

I just received an S3 and the first mod I will make is his sport springs. My TTRS behaved similarly to the new S3.

Last edited by 21212; 03-20-2015 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Sway bars and other suspension components