Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

VAG-COM = VCDS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VAG-COM = VCDS?

I'm new to Audi/VW - Just picked up a 2018 S3. I've heard some of you mentioned VagCom for diagnostic and programming, but not exactly sure which specific hardware/software you're referring to? Does VagCom means VCDS? This => https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/

I just like to use it for diagnostic and basic programming. For example, setting the exhaust valve to be permanently open as well as disabling auto start/stop.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

yes.. VAG-COM is now known as VCDS.. both are synonymous.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Save yourself some money and get an obdeleven.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by s3burgh
Save yourself some money and get an obdeleven.
Thanks. Does OBD Eleven have long code helper like VCDS? I like to know what exactly that I'm changing so I can revert back if needed. OBD Eleven is nice with its Apps, but that's like coding things blindly and trusting the Apps that it does toggle the correct bit, which may not always be the case. I also like the fact that VCDS will work as a standalone without needing a WiFi connection
Old 11-03-2017, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XMetal00
Thanks. Does OBD Eleven have long code helper like VCDS? I like to know what exactly that I'm changing so I can revert back if needed. OBD Eleven is nice with its Apps, but that's like coding things blindly and trusting the Apps that it does toggle the correct bit, which may not always be the case. I also like the fact that VCDS will work as a standalone without needing a WiFi connection
Yep, in addition to the apps, OBDeleven also has adaptations and a long coding interface. The only drawback is that you need an Android device. I picked up some cheapo tablet which is complete crap. I would recommend getting a decent device (if you don't already have one of course).
Old 11-03-2017, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by akraev
Yep, in addition to the apps, OBDeleven also has adaptations and a long coding interface. The only drawback is that you need an Android device. I picked up some cheapo tablet which is complete crap. I would recommend getting a decent device (if you don't already have one of course).
I do see long coding available on OBDeleven, but looking at some videos, it doesn't have description of what each bit does like the long coding helper in VCDS? VCDS have a description next to each bit, so you know exactly what to enable and disable.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to see this too, but my guess is if odbeleven is showing you the changes it's making to enable VIM for example, then people aren't going to pay the 100 coins for it.

Ad a tech guy myself that has had problems many times with scripts making changes to the windows registry, I want to know what's going on.