Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Weird sound when reversing...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 12:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird sound when reversing...

Whenever I'm backing up my car, I end up hearing a strange "clunking" sound. It appears to be stemming from underneath the car. I can actually feel the sound via vibration. It happens during motion and only once (I think). I don't think this is normal since I have not experienced it in any cars I've owned and/or driven. Is this normal for the S3? I plan on taking it to the dealer for inspection, but wanted to see if this is an isolated issue or not.

:/
Old 12-31-2014, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Clunking sounds and cars should be an atypical thing. I would certainly call the dealer and see what they have to say.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mines made a clunk/'pang' a couple times reversing after sitting all night. I figured it was the ebrake or rust film on the brake system. I've been keeping an ear out for it but, so far, it doesn't seem like a big deal.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by the_runner213
Whenever I'm backing up my car, I end up hearing a strange "clunking" sound. It appears to be stemming from underneath the car. I can actually feel the sound via vibration. It happens during motion and only once (I think). I don't think this is normal since I have not experienced it in any cars I've owned and/or driven. Is this normal for the S3? I plan on taking it to the dealer for inspection, but wanted to see if this is an isolated issue or not.

:/
+1 on the brakes, it's the pads moving in the caliper.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

you might also get the sound reversing with your steering wheel turned fully in one direction.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
+1 on the brakes, it's the pads moving in the caliper.
So it's normal? I was thinking it was an all-wheel drive thing since I've never owned one before the S3, but then I thought about driving my friend's A7 several times and never had that issue. Hmm...
Old 01-02-2015, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by the_runner213
So it's normal? I was thinking it was an all-wheel drive thing since I've never owned one before the S3, but then I thought about driving my friend's A7 several times and never had that issue. Hmm...
If you hear a low, barely audible sound with the wheel turned to lock in either direction, the quattro will make a slight noise and stutter a bit moving forward OR back. That is also normal AWD behavior.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My S3 does this consistently, and I've always figured it was the pads, as arU4ic says.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you hear a low, barely audible sound with the wheel turned to lock in either direction, the quattro will make a slight noise and stutter a bit moving forward OR back. That is also normal AWD behavior.
Thank you! I will cancel my service appointment now.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

There needs to be a technical term for the situation and sound when 4wd or AWD slightly binds in a tight turn on dry pavement.

How about, 'Differential Bind Shutter'

Meh. Someone else?

Quick Reply: Weird sound when reversing...