Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKIII Discussion forum for the 2022 and up Audi A3, S3 and RS3

Why hidden exhaust tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why hidden exhaust tips?

What possibly could have been the reason for the hidden exhaust on the 2022 8Y A3s? That's how my A3 Prestige came- not a deal breaker, just annoying to me. Has anyone found or done a mod to a rear valance, added dual or single exposed chrome tips?
Old 09-01-2022, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 908 Likes on 744 Posts

I am also not a big fan of the hidden exhaust tips. Interested to see if anyone has found a “fix”
Old 09-01-2022, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Educated guess...

Their designs are starting to become influenced by their inevitable move to electric. And since electric vehicles don't have an exhaust system, beginning to hide them now preps the market/makes the transition to electric a bit less obvious.
Old 09-01-2022, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

It's most likely not because of their move to electric - otherwise they wouldn't put giant fake exhaust tips to bring more attention to the rear exhaust. It's an insurance thing from my understanding. By divorcing the exhaust pipes from the bumper valence the car is easier to repair in the event of a rear end collision (where majority of accidents happen). Instead of replacing the entire bumper, the exhaust, muffler, etc. It's cheaper to just replace the plastic bumper piece. And therefore will be cheaper to insure compared to other vehicles.
Old 09-01-2022, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by royalnewjersey
It's most likely not because of their move to electric - otherwise they wouldn't put giant fake exhaust tips to bring more attention to the rear exhaust. It's an insurance thing from my understanding. By divorcing the exhaust pipes from the bumper valence the car is easier to repair in the event of a rear end collision (where majority of accidents happen). Instead of replacing the entire bumper, the exhaust, muffler, etc. It's cheaper to just replace the plastic bumper piece. And therefore will be cheaper to insure compared to other vehicles.
Your understanding is incorrect, sorry. Audi/Volkswagen is not the only car company doing it and although Audi/Volkswagen have not come out and blatantly stated why they are doing it, other car manufacturers have. We can draw logical conclusions from them.

As an example, in 2020 when Volvo first started hiding their exhausts in their MY21 cars, Robin Page, Volvo's Global Design Chief said “Exposed tailpipes have traditionally reflected the power and speed of internal combustion engine cars"

When he was asked "Is this intended as a move to coordinate the look of everything in the lineup, from gasoline to PHEV to EV?"he responded "Yes, we love the clean Scandinavian design look and the positive message it portrays to our customers as we move into electrification."
Old 09-01-2022, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iamBATMAN
Your understanding is incorrect, sorry. Audi/Volkswagen is not the only car company doing it and although Audi/Volkswagen have not come out and blatantly stated why they are doing it, other car manufacturers have. We can draw logical conclusions from them.

As an example, in 2020 when Volvo first started hiding their exhausts in their MY21 cars, Robin Page, Volvo's Global Design Chief said “Exposed tailpipes have traditionally reflected the power and speed of internal combustion engine cars"

When he was asked "Is this intended as a move to coordinate the look of everything in the lineup, from gasoline to PHEV to EV?"he responded "Yes, we love the clean Scandinavian design look and the positive message it portrays to our customers as we move into electrification."
You're quoting Volvo's design chief when answering a question about an Audi product? They're two completely different companies with different clientele and different design philosophies. Audi is intentionally putting large FAKE exhaust tips on the outside of the vehicle to draw more attention to them, not hiding them to "visually nod to an electrified future lineup" or whatever you're saying... I'm sorry but you don't know what you're talking about.

The reasons are:
1) Cost (easier to manufacture two separate pieces that don't have to work directly together)
2) Cost (lessens the coordination between engineers and designers, given that they don’t have to consult the engineers regarding the powertrain of the vehicle before formulating the aesthetic qualities of its exhaust tip)
3) Cost (worker spends less time aligning an exhaust pipe to a bumper cutout, then the production process should be more cost-effective)
4) Cost (as previously mentioned, cheaper to insure/repair, and therefore a favorable market position for them and their customers).
5) Also probably slightly safer since the hot parts of the exhaust are not exposed down where people's legs and feet often come in contact when loading/unloading cargo.

Last edited by royalnewjersey; 09-01-2022 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You're quoting Volvo's design chief when answering a question about an Audi product? They're two completely different companies with different clientele and different design philosophies. Audi is intentionally putting large FAKE exhaust tips on the outside of the vehicle to draw more attention to them, not hiding them to "visually nod to an electrified future lineup" or whatever you're saying... I'm sorry but you don't know what you're talking about.

The reasons are:
1) Cost (easier to manufacture two separate pieces that don't have to work directly together)
2) Cost (lessens the coordination between engineers and designers, given that they don’t have to consult the engineers regarding the powertrain of the vehicle before formulating the aesthetic qualities of its exhaust tip)
3) Cost (worker spends less time aligning an exhaust pipe to a bumper cutout, then the production process should be more cost-effective)
4) Cost (as previously mentioned, cheaper to insure/repair, and therefore a favorable market position for them and their customers).
5) Also probably slightly safer since the hot parts of the exhaust are not exposed down where people's legs and feet often come in contact when loading/unloading cargo.
You're right, your explanation makes way more sense. Auto insurance companies and internal combustion engine cars have been around for 120+ years. Over these many many years, removing the exhaust from the rear/bumper to save insurance companies money and/or cut down on production costs has never been thought of before. And yet, now that we are entering a world of EVs, where exhaust systems are completely missing from the picture, and other car companies have flat out stated that they are hiding them on their lineups because of the transition to EVs, Audi/Volkswagen, the outlier and rebel car company that it is, has decided it is finally time to save some money. You sir win at logic today.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

You're right, your explanation makes way more sense. Auto insurance companies and internal combustion engine cars have been around for 120+ years. Over these many many years, removing the exhaust from the rear/bumper to save insurance companies money and/or cut down on production costs has never been thought of before. And yet, now that we are entering a world of EVs, where exhaust systems are completely missing from the picture, and other car companies have flat out stated that they are hiding them on their lineups because of the transition to EVs, Audi/Volkswagen, the outlier and rebel car company that it is, has decided it is finally time to save some money. You sir win at logic today.
Your argument doesn't even make sense. If they were trying to hide exhaust tips to get people used to electric cars... they would... you know... hide them (which they're not). Or you know what, instead of arguing you could just go do a google search... maybe here... or here.... or here.... or here... or here.

Not one of these articles mention electrification as a reason. Because it's not.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Your argument doesn't even make sense. If they were trying to hide exhaust tips to get people used to electric cars... they would... you know... hide them (which they're not). Or you know what, instead of arguing you could just go do a google search... maybe here... or here.... or here.... or here... or here.

Not one of these articles mention electrification as a reason. Because it's not.
OP is talking about his Audi A3 right? Or did I misread the original post? He is asking why they hid the exhaust. Lets take a look at the rear of his A3 shall we?

Hmm, I don't see any fake exhaust design elements on this A3, do you?
The following users liked this post:
Steve2079 (09-10-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

OP is talking about his Audi A3 right? Or did I misread the original post? He is asking why they hid the exhaust. Lets take a look at the rear of his A3 shall we?
Hmm, I don't see any fake exhaust design elements on this A3, do you?
Alright, I'll give you that. I misread the original post as "S3" when he typed "A3s". That's my misunderstanding - I assumed we were discussing the "fake tips" visual design element found on the S3 and RS3.

However I stand by my original statements. The A3 doesn't have exhausts because the buyers of A3's aren't looking for sportiness in the same way an S3 or RS3 buyer is. Audi as a company doesn't really care if you are "used to" electric vehicles having exhausts or not. Bigger more prominent exhaust tips area = a more luxurious expensive car with a bigger engine. They're going to keep pumping out cars with the "sportier" look of an aggressive exhaust as long as they can. I mean look at their electric A6 Avant E-tron concept for god sake...

Quick Reply: Why hidden exhaust tips?