Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

Audi A3 Brake Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A3 Brake Failure?

Hi

In addition to the usual Audi's usual incompetence, arrogance and total lack of customer service, my A3 nearly killed me through brake failure.

I am currently engaged in legal action against Audi. I know they have done major recalls across the world of A3s for potential brake problems. Anyone had similar experiences?
Old 07-02-2002, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Audi A3 Brake Failure?

what type and year of your audi? and what happened actually?
Old 07-02-2002, 10:55 AM

Details

2000 A3 1.8T Manual. Purchased "out the box" (brand new) in March 2000

Accident occured 30 August 2001
Conditions: dry, daylight, good tar road
Speed: Approx 50km
Description: Was approaching a T Junction. Applied brakes. No response. Was forced to head on to pavement. Car overturned. Airbags did not inflate. I crawled out of passenger window shocked and with a sore back, but otherwise OK.

Previous problems:
* Gearbox failure only 1 week after I took delivery
* Clutch snapped shortly after that while I was on freeway - car towed
* In another instance, car overheated on freeway and again had to be towed to dealer
* Defective CD shuttle installed. Only after I made a huge fuss did the dealer replace it
* Radio crackled. Problem was never resolved to my satisfaction, despite me sending car in a number of times
* Dealer once returned the wrong vehicle to my office. I sent in a blue A3 and got back a yellow one. Did the colours run in the wash?!
* Problems with central locking and alarm (my accident investigator reckons that an electronic rather than mechanical fault is likely the cause of the brake failure. Unfortunately this kind of fault is very difficult to find and duplicate)
* A few weeks before accident I detected a knocking sound in the steering after my car had been in for its routine 20000km service. I returned to dealer - they said nothing was wrong. I insisted a service manager accompany me in the car. He agreed there was something wrong. They put the car back up on the lift and found that something had not been tightened properly. Service manager told me to "have faith". Yeah right! We'll talk in court!
Old 07-02-2002, 10:55 PM

I know that there has been some discussion regarding the reliability of brakes on the A3, and Audi has in fact recalled thousands of A3s around the world.

Has anyone had brake problems with their A3?
Old 07-03-2002, 01:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not in my A3 1.8T but in my TT ( inside )

I'm problem free with my 50K km 1999 A3 1.8T but I had some diffuculties with my TT. (TTC FWD)

TT has 20K km on it.
I felt a hardened brake pedal 3 times in this 20k km. This hardened pedal accompanied the brake power loss and longer stopping distance. First 2 times ,I didn't make up my mind.But after 3rd. I told to the dealer and they've found nothing.But in case ,they changed some hoses and brake center. ( Don't know the English name.I can say this is the part adjusting the brake power? )
Didn't happen the same thing so far.

Second; I had severe difficulty engaging to first gear after some 15K km. And my gear box changed.Now,it's ok.

At the service I met a lady with an A3 1.6 ,she said that she have experienced a loose brake pedal going all the way to the floor.

So, I don't want to believe such a good brand ( AUDI )have these kind of serial problems. Some people say these are normal statistical problems which happen at all brands.But all my problems were dissapointing for me.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:24 AM

Default Re: Not in my A3 1.8T but in my TT ( inside )

Thanks. I think that there is definitely an issue re Audi brakes. In addition, Audi's attitude, and that of their dealers, is terrible. They are arrogant, rude, unhelpful and vicious. I regret ever buying a car from them and will definitely not do so again. BUYER BEWARE!
Old 07-03-2002, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually in my case the dealer was very helpful.....

Gearbox have changed after my warranty ended without any fee.They accepted this as AUDI's responsibility I think.
So, although I'm surprised with these quality issues of the car I must say that they took good care of me.
I wish you the besTT luck.
Old 07-05-2002, 07:09 AM

I have had 2 of the same problems as you:
August 1999 A3 1.8T. I have had problems with the CD changer (often reading error on CD's: this is not due to dirty/scratched CD's as occurs randomly and even with brand new CD's just out of the packet).The radio has also been crackling loudly: it is fine most of the time but will suddenly crackle extremely loudly- so loud that it can be dangerous to suddenly happen whilst driving. I have taken it in to the dealer on several occasions and, like you, have not had the problem sorted. I am usually told that they could not find anything wrong!
Luckily, I have not had any problems with the brakes!
Old 07-11-2002, 12:17 PM

Default ABS Chip Burns ...

In Brazil Audi and VW are changing the ABS control chip of almost all A3, TT, Golf4, New Beattle and Bora(Jetta) produced in the year 2001. My A3 had also a break problem when the chip burned. The ABS did not work and the brakes pedals became very hard. In the beginning of 2002, Audi and VW made a "recall" to change this chip of those cars.
The link bellow brings the news in a brazilian Web Site. (but it is in portuguese ...)<ul><li><a href="http://www.estradas.com.br/noticias/materia.asp?id=996">http://www.estradas.com.br/noticias/materia.asp?id=996</a</li></ul>
Old 07-12-2002, 11:25 AM

Default Re: ABS Chip Burns ...

Hi

Thanks. I know that there have been a number of recalls around the world (Brazil, Japan, Israel etc.) but did not know that it was because of a faulty ABS chip.

When I tried to stop I hit the brake and found that it was very hard; didn't have time to do anything else - next thing went on to the pavement and overturned...

If you have any more information on this, please post it on audiword or eMail me on ajturbo@hotmail.com

Thanks

AJ

Quick Reply: Audi A3 Brake Failure?