2018 A5 Cabriolet Prestige Trim Hands-Free trunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2024, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 A5 Cabriolet Prestige Trim Hands-Free trunk

Everything I have read says I have this feature but I have tried everything and can’t make it work. Help!!
Old 07-10-2024, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a brand new owner of the exact same car. When I tried this, the taillights flashed and the trunk unlocked but did not swing open. Is it supposed to? Does your flash/unlock?
The following users liked this post:
LynnFish (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
I'm a brand new owner of the exact same car. When I tried this, the taillights flashed and the trunk unlocked but did not swing open. Is it supposed to? Does your flash/unlock?

Nope- mine does nothing at all! How and where are you putting your foot to activate it?
Old 07-11-2024, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, I'm swinging my foot under the bumper. I'm not ahead of you even though I get an unlock because it's not hands free. There is no opening method that raises the lid after the unlatch - fob or microswitch. All unlatch the lid but none open it.

I didn't try this until I read your OP however before this I was experiencing a series of strange electronic gremlins. All went away when I replaced the OEM batter with a brand new one.
Old 07-11-2024, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know what you mean by "swinging", but with my sportback, "swinging" the foot left to right would not open it. Moving foot forward and backward in the middle is what did it.

I haven't even attempted this on my Cabrio. I've just used the button. I didn't think I even had that feature on the cabrio, but I guess I will try it.
Old 07-12-2024, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

By swinging I mean moving my foot from left to right. Per my post, this unlocks the trunk lid but does not open it. Based on my feeble research, this means that motor 1 is operational while motor 2 isn't with the obvious diagnosis that motor 2 isn't receiving power, isn't grounded or the motor has failed.

Since the idea of the foot movement sensor is a hands free trunk opener, my car at this point fails this feature. I need to have one hand free to open the unlatched trunk lid.
Old 07-12-2024, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I just tried mine, it for sure doesn't have that feature at all, so either its a Prestige thing or a deleted feature on newer ones, or market specific. Mine just unlocks and opens with the button when the fob is near.

But I am certain that on my sportback it was not a side to side motion that triggered it, but a kick in and out (straight forward under the sensor and then back). Side to side would not open it. You should try that just to see.
Old 07-12-2024, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I too just tried it to confirm it's malfunctioning with the microswitch, the foot business and the fob. It's under CarMax warranty so I'm scheduled to take it in for repairs next week. I don't think mine was sensitive to leg/foot direction. My manual does not mention it at all. Odd.
Old 07-13-2024, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

OK, this may be the solution for some. The Audi A5 B9s do not have a motorized trunk lid. They'll open using the door switch, the micro switch at the trunk, the fob and the bumper foot wave but will only unlatch not open all the way. I have a B9 so have resigned to the arduous task of manually lifting the trunk lid. Owell.