Mythos Black Metallic paint care

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mythos Black Metallic paint care

Just purchased a 2020 S5 in mythos black. I’m seeking recommendations for cleaning and protecting the black paint. I did not purchase the paint protection offered by the dealer. Concerned primarily with bugs and avoiding swirl marks when cleaning car. Thank you for your suggestions!
Old 06-19-2020, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiFlyGuy
Just purchased a 2020 S5 in mythos black. I’m seeking recommendations for cleaning and protecting the black paint. I did not purchase the paint protection offered by the dealer. Concerned primarily with bugs and avoiding swirl marks when cleaning car. Thank you for your suggestions!
Depends upon how much you want to spend. Ceramic done professionally is very common. I have the Mythos Black A5 - I have DIY'd Rejex - very satisfied. Did not bother to do or get done any paint correction. However, used 3M hand glaze the first time, followed by two coats of Rejex. Thereafter one coat every year only because I have so much left in the 16oz bottle and hate it dry out over time.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Ceramic coating makes cleaning the car easier, at least from what I've heard. It does not however prevent swirls or scratches. That's all in how you wash the car. This is my third dark car in a row and I've had minimal swirling (never had ceramic or film protection). You need to wash the car by hand, automatic car washes will swirl your paint. Touchless ones won't, but I've never been through one that actually washed the car worth a damn. So wash it by hand, use the two bucket system (look it up on youtube) with grit guards. Buy a quality car shampoo and mitt, along with good microfiber towels for drying. Try to minimize how much you are touching the paint, but as long as you have a good car shampoo and clean mitt, you car should look good afterwards and relatively swirl free. Drying is a key too. As long as the towels are clean they should be fine. Some people use car or leaf blowers to dry the car too. I have one, but it takes too long to get the water off, I'm better off with clean towels. Also don't let the dealer wash your car, they will swirl it. Always make sure you are the one washing it.

It's a pain, especially in winter, believe me. But there is a dedication and discipline to it if you want it to remain relatively swirl free. Otherwise you'll need to get paint correction yearly or every other year (depending on your level of tolerance for swirls). Just remember, nothing looks better than a dark car when it's clean. Good luck!
Old 06-29-2020, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 396 Likes on 354 Posts

Yeah, you're going to want to look at pro-installed ceramic coating. Black paint is a serious undertaking to keep it looking good. The ceramic coating can give you several years of protection.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

There's an old saying "You don't own a black car, it owns you."