Sunroof shattered

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof shattered

Driving south on I-65 about 30 miles from Nashville at 80-85 mph when my closed sunroof literally exploded. Can't describe it any other way. Loud boom. First thought was I was rear ended.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Wow...can't imagine what happened. NO projectiles? Were windows open or closed? Can't imagine pressure differences would do that. Keep us posted.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

That is nuts. It not even summer. I've seen that in the local news here in H-town during the summer, but that's because its' so friggin hot here.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Sunroof

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Wow...can't imagine what happened. NO projectiles? Were windows open or closed? Can't imagine pressure differences would do that. Keep us posted.
Everything was closed. No cars or trucks nearby and thankfully no one behind me.
Car at dealer today. They are "inspecting" it. Not too optimistic about the result.
Any automaker that still puts tempered glass anywhere on a car is irresponsible.
Filed a NHTSA incident report.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bcarle8563
Everything was closed. No cars or trucks nearby and thankfully no one behind me.
Car at dealer today. They are "inspecting" it. Not too optimistic about the result.
Any automaker that still puts tempered glass anywhere on a car is irresponsible.
Filed a NHTSA incident report.
stuff doesn't just happen. being science minded, my hypothesis is a rock or stone or small metal with a sharp tip flung off a tire going one way coupled with the speed your were going with and after making small contact point at high velocity resulted in that wonderful mess.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by skubeeraw
stuff doesn't just happen. being science minded, my hypothesis is a rock or stone or small metal with a sharp tip flung off a tire going one way coupled with the speed your were going with and after making small contact point at high velocity resulted in that wonderful mess.
Similar happened to me about 3 weeks ago. I had my front glass/windshield develop a rather large crack this weekend and am in the process of getting a replacement done. Only thing I recall was hearing a rock or piece of metal hit my windshield a few weeks ago before Xmas. No immediate issue...parked and went to work and came out to a rather large crack which has developed and now covers almost 1/3 of the windshield running down from roof and then across in an "L" shape. Tried initial "fill" fix but guess that has failed. Contacting USAA insurance tomorrow AM. Sh*t happens I guess out here on these roads and given enough velocity...most things man-made will bend or break I am afraid.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by skubeeraw
Certainly possible it was a golden bb. Was on an interstate, so not likely from oncoming traffic. This Consumer Reports article from two years ago matches my experience exactly.
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...nger-overhead/
Old 01-16-2020, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

how stupid is this idiot?

Rashid says he knew the temperature didn’t fluctuate much that day (CR confirmed), and no other vehicles were nearby. And he says any rock spit out from his own car’s tires would have flown backward, not up toward the roof. “The laws of physics say this is not possible,” Rashid says.

****ing dimwit. gravity states that what goes up, must come down. sure the rock could have flung backwards and up due to round tires and being round, centrifugally it will curve upwards not just horizontally backwards. and when it does come down it will make a small contact point in which is what is needed to shatter the glass. that's why you see videos of idiots flinging bricks at car windows and they bounce back and glass breakers have small triangular tips.

Old 03-20-2022, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I find it very unlikely that debri kicked up by the front tires will land on the sunroof, especially at highway speeds. The issue is that unless you have a two channel dashcam, you cannot prove it was not debri kicked up. Of course car manufacturers will deny as a warranty claim citing road debri without video footage showing no other vehicles around at the time.

Edit: kicked up by your own front tires landing on your sunroof
Old 03-27-2022, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jtdbsr
I find it very unlikely that debri kicked up by the front tires will land on the sunroof, especially at highway speeds. The issue is that unless you have a two channel dashcam, you cannot prove it was not debri kicked up. Of course car manufacturers will deny as a warranty claim citing road debri without video footage showing no other vehicles around at the time.

Edit: kicked up by your own front tires landing on your sunroof
You’re replying to a two year old thread….