Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 2018 model year and up

Another dashcam installation post.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2024, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I routed mine up the pillar next to the rear seats and out through that conduit. You can see where the conduit attaches to the body if you pull down the headliner just a bit from the angle of your picture with a trim tool - it's not too bad. Just enough to slide the wire to the hole where the other wires run into the conduit. Also, the rubber just pulls out from the body.

I then routed it under the hatch trim and mounted it onto the glass where you have the red box - all I had to do was carve a very small (~2 mm) notch in the edge of the hatch trim that meets the glass for the cable to come out. You can't see anything but the camera and 1 cm of cable running into the trim, and taking off the hatch trim is super easy.

Last edited by timmah339; 07-16-2024 at 05:38 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-16-2024, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by timmah339
I routed mine up the pillar next to the rear seats and out through that conduit. You can see where the conduit attaches to the body if you pull down the headliner just a bit from the angle of your picture with a trim tool - it's not too bad. Just enough to slide the wire to the hole where the other wires run into the conduit. Also, the rubber just pulls out from the body.

I then routed it under the hatch trim and mounted it onto the glass where you have the red box - all I had to do was carve a very small (~2 mm) notch in the edge of the hatch trim that meets the glass for the cable to come out. You can't see anything but the camera and 1 cm of cable running into the trim, and taking off the hatch trim is super easy.
I'm currently in the headliner at the rear pillar. So you are saying pull the headliner down from the truck by the rear headrest and I should be able to see where the wires go into that rubber conduit? Do you detach the conduit away from the frame of the car as well as hatch lid? Also how did you get the wire from where it enters and then hatch to the center of the house without removing that trim? Or does the trim around the window of the hatch have to come off too?
Old 07-16-2024, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by joebaggg
I'm currently in the headliner at the rear pillar. So you are saying pull the headliner down from the truck by the rear headrest and I should be able to see where the wires go into that rubber conduit? Do you detach the conduit away from the frame of the car as well as hatch lid? Also how did you get the wire from where it enters and then hatch to the center of the house without removing that trim? Or does the trim around the window of the hatch have to come off too?
Correct, use a trim tool to pull the edge of the headliner right above the rear headrests down. The clips are VERY stiff, so be careful while applying pressure. If you stick your hand in, you'll feel a bundle of cables running right into the hole in the body covered by the rubber conduit. The conduit itself detaches very easily from the body - it isn't clipped or anything, just held in by a small lip in the rubber. Gently go around the edge and it'll unseat easily.

I had to remove the entire hatch trim to run the cable under it - it's one big U-shaped piece around the upper part, mated to a single panel at the rear. IIRC there are a couple of screws under two removable trim pieces in the rearmost part, then everything just unsnaps.

Last edited by timmah339; 07-16-2024 at 06:25 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-16-2024, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Correct, use a trim tool to pull the edge of the headliner right above the rear headrests down. The clips are VERY stiff, so be careful while applying pressure. If you stick your hand in, you'll feel a bundle of cables running right into the hole in the body covered by the rubber conduit. The conduit itself detaches very easily from the body - it isn't clipped or anything, just held in by a small lip in the rubber. Gently go around the edge and it'll unseat easily.

I had to remove the entire hatch trim to run the cable under it - it's one big U-shaped piece around the upper part, mated to a single panel at the rear. IIRC there are a couple of screws under two removable trim pieces in the rearmost part, then everything just unsnaps.
Thanks I just got the last foot of wiring. I'm hoping I can run a coat hanger from the roof at the back pillar to the part of the rear headliner I need to pull down.
​​​​​​I'm worried about pulling the headliner down! I don't want to screw it up. How do you mean be careful? Sorry for all the questions and thank you so much for the help.
Old 07-16-2024, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by joebaggg
Thanks I just got the last foot of wiring. I'm hoping I can run a coat hanger from the roof at the back pillar to the part of the rear headliner I need to pull down.
​​​​​​I'm worried about pulling the headliner down! I don't want to screw it up. How do you mean be careful? Sorry for all the questions and thank you so much for the help.
No problem - just separate the headliner from the roof a little bit and use a flashlight to see where the clips are. Apply direct downward pressure to unseat the clip - try not to apply lateral or twisting pressure since the clips can unseat accidentally (this happened to me). The clips are easy to reinsert onto the headliner with needle nose pliers, though. You really only need to unseat 2-3 headliner clips on the passenger side to get your hand in there.
Old 07-16-2024, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

No problem - just separate the headliner from the roof a little bit and use a flashlight to see where the clips are. Apply direct downward pressure to unseat the clip - try not to apply lateral or twisting pressure since the clips can unseat accidentally (this happened to me). The clips are easy to reinsert onto the headliner with needle nose pliers, though. You really only need to unseat 2-3 headliner clips on the passenger side to get your hand in there.
Thanks. You have given me the confidence to not give up lol.

Old 07-22-2024, 06:44 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 363 Likes on 236 Posts

Recently had the Blackvue 970x LTE installed in both of our vehicles (RS5 and RS6). They seem to be working fine based on the audible messages when the cars are started. However, I've run into a few "challenges":
  1. Seems that wireless CarPlay interferes with the BlackVue WiFi connection method. I've found that tshe only way to connect via WiFi is to disable CarPlay. I'm then able to connect to the BlackVue camera. However, I need to disable CarPlay every time I want to connect to the dash cam. Is there a work around? Which leads me to the second issue..
  2. I got the LTE models so that I could access the cameras over a cellular network at anytime. I thought there was a promotional period whereby connection via LTE for a month was free through Blackvue. However, I haven't been able to sort this out. What am I missing?
  3. Prior to camera install, both cars were set up to beep once when the car is locked. Post install, the RS5 still beeps as normal. The RS6 however no longer beeps. The vehicle locks and the side mirrors fold like before, just no locking beep. I've checked MMI settings, and nothing has changed. Lock tone is still active in the central locking MMI settings. Next, I'm going to check things via OBDEleven. however, I'm not clear why this changed to begin with.
  4. Every once in a while when shutting the RS6 off, the dash cam will cycle through the audible shut down and start up messages several times before stopping after "Parking Mode On". Normal behavior is for the dash cam to say: "Parking Mode On" once. However, every 4th or 5th time the car is shut off, the Dash Cam will first say "Parking Mode On", then immediately say "Parking Mode Off", then, "Parking Mode On", then "Parking Mode Off", then, "Parking Mode On", then "Parking Mode Off"...and so on. The messages keep repeating ~4-~5 times before stopping after "Parking Mode On". Camera seems to function fine when the car is started after one of these Episode. I poked around in the camera settings, but couldn't find anything that would explain
Anyone have these problems and more importantly, know how to solve them?

Thanks in advance...Cheers!
Old 07-22-2024, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 192 Likes on 151 Posts

Can’t really help other than comment on issue #1. I have the FitCam camera and since it has its own network I too can’t access it if CarPlay is in use. Unfortunately, can’t use both at the same time. So, I usually don’t even bother with the FitCam app and just remove the card and view the videos on the computer. It’s also much faster that way saving videos than going through the app and downloading. Sorry, can’t help much with the other stuff.
Old 07-25-2024, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by PWDRSKR
Recently had the Blackvue 970x LTE installed in both of our vehicles (RS5 and RS6). They seem to be working fine based on the audible messages when the cars are started. However, I've run into a few "challenges":
  1. Seems that wireless CarPlay interferes with the BlackVue WiFi connection method. I've found that tshe only way to connect via WiFi is to disable CarPlay. I'm then able to connect to the BlackVue camera. However, I need to disable CarPlay every time I want to connect to the dash cam. Is there a work around? Which leads me to the second issue..
  2. I got the LTE models so that I could access the cameras over a cellular network at anytime. I thought there was a promotional period whereby connection via LTE for a month was free through Blackvue. However, I haven't been able to sort this out. What am I missing?
  3. Prior to camera install, both cars were set up to beep once when the car is locked. Post install, the RS5 still beeps as normal. The RS6 however no longer beeps. The vehicle locks and the side mirrors fold like before, just no locking beep. I've checked MMI settings, and nothing has changed. Lock tone is still active in the central locking MMI settings. Next, I'm going to check things via OBDEleven. however, I'm not clear why this changed to begin with.
  4. Every once in a while when shutting the RS6 off, the dash cam will cycle through the audible shut down and start up messages several times before stopping after "Parking Mode On". Normal behavior is for the dash cam to say: "Parking Mode On" once. However, every 4th or 5th time the car is shut off, the Dash Cam will first say "Parking Mode On", then immediately say "Parking Mode Off", then, "Parking Mode On", then "Parking Mode Off", then, "Parking Mode On", then "Parking Mode Off"...and so on. The messages keep repeating ~4-~5 times before stopping after "Parking Mode On". Camera seems to function fine when the car is started after one of these Episode. I poked around in the camera settings, but couldn't find anything that would explain
Anyone have these problems and more importantly, know how to solve them?

Thanks in advance...Cheers!
#1 unfortunately you'll have to disable wireless CarPlay to be able to connect to the camera. In my case it's a matter of disconnecting the USB cable of the Carlinkit 4 unit under the armrest, since my car only has the wired CarPlay option. I have Adguard app on the phone, which sets up a local VPN to filter ads, etc, and that interferes with the connection as well. Luckily, I don't access the camera via WiFi too often other than firmware updates and if something "crazy" happened on the road. The other option is pulling the microSD card, but it may not be practical or desirable depending on your preference.

#2 Blackvue's hardware is top notch; I wish the same were true for their apps or cloud services, although they're definitely trying to improve things.. My model is a non-LTE version (DR750X Plus) but at the time of the purchase, I did look into the LTE versions for cloud connectivity, etc. Just to make sure... are you able to access their cloud storage in the app and locate recordings? If I remember correctly, the 1 month free offer starts when you insert the SIM and connect to the cloud for the first time. Then, they start charging your card after 30 days.

#3 I assume both installs are the same between your cars? How is the continuous power supplied to the cameras for the parking mode? Hardwired? Blackvue battery? In theory it should not affect anything in the car (e.g., the issue you're describing with the RS6). If it's hardwired, can you disconnect one of the cables in the fuse box and see if the "beep" comes back?

#4 This one is strange as well, but since it's with RS6 -and not with RS5- it might be something related to the installation? As you mentioned you should only hear "parking mode off" when there's motion -if you're idling- or when you start the car normally. The fact that it's "cycling" 4-5 times between on and off mode suggests to me that it might be something with the power levels. Since they're the same cameras, can you move the one in RS5 to RS6 and see if the issue gets resolved (and moves to RS5 after the swap)? If that's the case, then the camera is the problem. If the issue continues to happen in the RS6 after the swap. then it's something with the installation. I assume you're on the latest firmware for both cameras and they have identical settings.

Last edited by Ascari_Blue_A5; 07-25-2024 at 05:48 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Not wiring or which camera to use related but I recently experimented with the Static Stickers that comes with some dashcams. Instead of sticking your dashcam directly onto the glass, you cut a piece of static sticker with at least 1/2" extra on each side of the 3M adhesive and and attached the static sticker to the area of the windshield where you want to mount the dashcam, then attach your dashcam to the sticker. It makes for easy removal if you going to park in an area where having a dashcam may invite a breakin on it's own and you can also move the dashcam from car to car easily. I was initially worried about how well it will hold up but I had mine in for over 2 months now and it's show no signs of loosening up..

The 2 bubbles you see is between the 3M adhesive and the sticker, I have since pushed it out..

Last edited by Wiz33; Yesterday at 11:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Another dashcam installation post.