Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 2018 model year and up

Anyone carry mtb/road bike on sportback??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Moving from an SUV to the Sportback, I have come to terms with removing the front wheel.

Two bikes requires a lot more gymnastics, but is doable!

I like the quilted moving blanket idea.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by heymoe
Here is another thread on this subject: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi-a5-s5-rs5-coupe-cabrio-b9-220/roof-rack-2923612/

The SeaSucker (https://www.seasucker.com/) option mentioned toward the end of that thread look pretty neat.

Edit: Doh! Just saw the OP didn't want a roof option.
I know you said you prefer no roof racks...but the seasucker is not permanent. so when your bike comes off..so does the seasucker. In my opinion this is the best option. no modifications needed to the car. Just put it on when you need it. and if you have to carry 2 bikes...one in the car...one on the roof. done.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by A5Newbie
https://stealthhitches.com/products/...y_premium-plus

They also have a thread in the forum.

Thats exactly what I have. Works great. I paired it with a Kuat Rack.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I carry my 29er MTB on a Yakima High Road rack using the Audi roof bars on my A5 sportback. It works just fine. Roof isn't too high to lift the bike up and it doesn't even seem to affect mileage all that much. I've driven long distances with the bike up there without issue.

Before I got the rack I did just put the bike in the car, which works fine, but it eats up space for the rest of my gear, slides around a bit if I go around corners quickly, and even with a tarp to protect the interior you still get mud and scuffs and such from the tires rubbing the sides of the trunk.

It's a little annoying to have the bars on the roof all the time since they make a bit of wind noise, but if I'm doing a long drive somewhere without the bike it doesn't take more than 10min or so to pull the bars off the car for a quieter drive.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hung a Stealth Hitch on mine last weekend. It's a real solid product. I was pleased with the attention to detail.

Minor trimming is required but is not evident with the car on the ground.

Now you see it...

... now you don't.

The hero.

Necessary trimming.
The following users liked this post:
dereitz (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 379 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by bmenius
I hung a Stealth Hitch on mine last weekend. It's a real solid product. I was pleased with the attention to detail..
How long did the install take? Looking at the instructions I would think a couple hours solo. Maybe a little less with help,
Old 10-13-2019, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DaveSNJ
How long did the install take? Looking at the instructions I would think a couple hours solo. Maybe a little less with help,
Yep- that feels about right. I was pulling new wires for the tail lamps at the same time, so I wasn't keeping time. The bumper cover is actually fairly easy to remove once you realize you have to pull the sides away from the car rather than sliding the whole part backward and out of trays mounted to the side of the car. The way they have the bumper cover mounted is a bit different to me, at least with my prior VW experience.

Do note that the factory service manual says to have the lane change assistance recalibrated after any event of bumper cover removal. Apparently it pays about an hour of labor time at the dealership. I've not had mine recalibrated yet, and I'm not sure I will. I'm not seeing any difference in performance thus far.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 379 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by bmenius
Yep- that feels about right. I was pulling new wires for the tail lamps at the same time, so I wasn't keeping time. The bumper cover is actually fairly easy to remove once you realize you have to pull the sides away from the car rather than sliding the whole part backward and out of trays mounted to the side of the car. The way they have the bumper cover mounted is a bit different to me, at least with my prior VW experience.

Do note that the factory service manual says to have the lane change assistance recalibrated after any event of bumper cover removal. Apparently it pays about an hour of labor time at the dealership. I've not had mine recalibrated yet, and I'm not sure I will. I'm not seeing any difference in performance thus far.
Can I assume this means you did the Euro dynamic tail lamps? In my searching it appears there is really only one source for these. True?
Old 10-13-2019, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DaveSNJ
Can I assume this means you did the Euro dynamic tail lamps? In my searching it appears there is really only one source for these. True?
Correct on the install. The source for the units wants you to believe he is the only option, but I found otherwise. I had to toil a bit on the repair wire selection, but I eventually got it. Beyond that, it was a matter of buying VCP to reflash the convenience module to EU spec.

Don't want to go too off topic, so I'd be glad to share part numbers and learnings via PM. 👍
The following users liked this post:
fwd55 (10-13-2019)
Old 10-14-2019, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperiorAdhesives
I carry my 29er MTB on a Yakima High Road rack using the Audi roof bars on my A5 sportback. It works just fine. Roof isn't too high to lift the bike up and it doesn't even seem to affect mileage all that much. I've driven long distances with the bike up there without issue.

Before I got the rack I did just put the bike in the car, which works fine, but it eats up space for the rest of my gear, slides around a bit if I go around corners quickly, and even with a tarp to protect the interior you still get mud and scuffs and such from the tires rubbing the sides of the trunk.

It's a little annoying to have the bars on the roof all the time since they make a bit of wind noise, but if I'm doing a long drive somewhere without the bike it doesn't take more than 10min or so to pull the bars off the car for a quieter drive.
Are you able to leave them on all the time and operate the sunroof? That was my big concern. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Anyone carry mtb/road bike on sportback??