Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 2018 model year and up

Changing all the speakers in a B&O sportback car

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 737 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
I never noticed a pulse on my subwoofer except when I turn off the car after adding my amp. I can't say I noticed any difference before or after adding my resistors regarding start up behavior, but I can say it hasn't failed once since adding the resistors. But Class D amps work a lot like switching power suppliers and they can be unstable without any load on them. It's common practice on PC power suppliers to put a small resistor on each output so it can be stable with no load attached. I gave my KISLOAD from Kicker to another forum user and as far as I know, he's still running strong.
The thump @m444 is referring to is when you run an Auto Scan using VCDS. You actually hear every speaker chirp. I too got errors stored after an Auto Scan, which disappeared with my VCDS fix to stop the speaker from being tested.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 282 Likes on 205 Posts

Since this B&O amplifier is a Class D amplifier, it must have been very easy to program a short high or low pulse (differential or to chassis ground) to the voice coils as a startup integrity check.

Here is one possible method for testing speaker integrity: Class-D Amplifier External Load Diagnostics

Here is another fault circuit: Automotive Diagnostics Using TAS2505-Q1

In addition most of the Class D amplifier ICs have multiple fault checks internally. The TI TPA3255 is one example:

Old 01-16-2021, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 618 Likes on 445 Posts

I’m toying with the idea of replacing the speakers for my B&O system in my car. I know nothing about car audio and I was wondering what a rough ballpark cost would be to do this?

I realize it depends on what speakers are being used but can anyone give me a pricing range or at least a very rough cost?
Old 01-16-2021, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 737 Likes on 514 Posts

It all depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go? And if you want to do all speakers, or just the essential speakers for the front row.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
It all depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go? And if you want to do all speakers, or just the essential speakers for the front row.
Ideally I'd like to change all the speakers but keep it 100% stock looking.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 282 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Ideally I'd like to change all the speakers but keep it 100% stock looking.
Coupe? ...... (rear deck OEM subwoofer)

Sportback? ...... (near spare tire OEM subwoofer)

The subwoofer change is where the appearance can most easily be affected.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by m444
Coupe? ...... (rear deck OEM subwoofer)

Sportback? ...... (near spare tire OEM subwoofer)

The subwoofer change is where the appearance can most easily be affected.
It’s a sportback.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I’m toying with the idea of replacing the speakers for my B&O system in my car. I know nothing about car audio and I was wondering what a rough ballpark cost would be to do this?

I realize it depends on what speakers are being used but can anyone give me a pricing range or at least a very rough cost?
I'm about $850 in on mine. Go to the B&O Upgrade guide and click on the My Car tab. I've replaced every speaker that isn't used for 3D effect (those are disabled) and I'm very happy with the system.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 01-16-2021, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by m444
Since this B&O amplifier is a Class D amplifier, it must have been very easy to program a short high or low pulse (differential or to chassis ground) to the voice coils as a startup integrity check.

Here is one possible method for testing speaker integrity: Class-D Amplifier External Load Diagnostics

Here is another fault circuit: Automotive Diagnostics Using TAS2505-Q1

In addition most of the Class D amplifier ICs have multiple fault checks internally. The TI TPA3255 is one example:
Wouldn't that be a hoot to open up the amp and see a bunch of TI tripath amps in it? I want to see inside one now
Old 01-16-2021, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
I'm about $850 in on mine. Go to the B&O Upgrade guide and click on the My Car tab. I've replaced every speaker that isn't used for 3D effect (those are disabled) and I'm very happy with the system.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Thanks, that's not bad. I was figuring around $1,000 plus labor for installation.

Quick Reply: Changing all the speakers in a B&O sportback car