Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 2018 model year and up

Changing all the speakers in a B&O sportback car

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 12:21 AM
DVE
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Okay, thank you for your answer.
So I will use the Faital midrange with an inductor 0.13mH in series. And the Dayton ND25FN Tweeter with an cap 8.2uF in series.
The crossover frequency is then in each case 5kHz.

BTW
To reduce the Loudness effect I have disabled the speed-dependent volume control.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by DVE
Okay, thank you for your answer.
So I will use the Faital midrange with an inductor 0.13mH in series. And the Dayton ND25FN Tweeter with an cap 8.2uF in series.
The crossover frequency is then in each case 5kHz.

BTW
To reduce the Loudness effect I have disabled the speed-dependent volume control.
Give it a listen for a week or so afterwards. If you find the tweeters are too bright, pop the covers off and cover some of the holes in the grill starting at the center of the dome and working outward. This is common practice in the automotive tweeter industry because most tweeters are more efficient than woofers, and it's cheaper/easier than adding power resistors. You can experiment on the coverage with electrical tape on the back side of the grille and then move to something more permanent like hot glue or silicone later. Don't be surprised if "the right amount" is around half of the tweeter. Or it might be less since the faitalpro is also very bright.

More than half of this kicker tweeter is covered. Most companies give it a fancy marketing lie name like "custom waveguide"

Old 05-05-2021, 12:14 AM
DVE
AudiWorld Member

I still have to ask again - sorry:

Do you mean covering the tweeters as an alternative to the cap? Or do you mean to install the cap in any case and then cover the tweeter if necessary?

Same question for the midranger. The cover as an alternative to the inductor? Or do you mean to install the inductor in any case and then cover the midranger if necessary?

Many thanks
Old 05-05-2021, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Originally Posted by DVE
I still have to ask again - sorry:

Do you mean covering the tweeters as an alternative to the cap? Or do you mean to install the cap in any case and then cover the tweeter if necessary?

Same question for the midranger. The cover as an alternative to the inductor? Or do you mean to install the inductor in any case and then cover the midranger if necessary?

Many thanks
No, covering part of the tweeter reduces its output making it quieter. You absolutely need the cap to protect the tweeter from low frequencies (and the inductor on the midrange is advised for the best sound)

Normally tweeters produce 90+ dB output with 1 watt input but most small speakers are les than that. Normally the way you'd handle this when designing a speaker is to use resistors to burn off some of the energy of the most efficient speakers to bring it down to match the least efficient speaker. The circuit for doing this is called an LPad. Here is an explanation of how that works: https://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/Cal...dCircuit/Help/ Designers prefer to make the tweeter the most efficient driver because there is a lot less energy in the high frequency range so the can use smaller resistors and create less heat.

This is fine for home speakers since they have room in the cabinets for chunky power resistors and can tolerate the heat output, but this is a bit more tricky in a car, so car audio manufacturers usually cover part of the tweeter to reduce it's output instead. Usually they know what woofer the tweeter is mated with so they know exactly how much to attenuate the tweeter. Since we are buying home speaker gear, the tweeters are full output and they assume we'll pad them down to the level we need them to be. Covering half of the tweeter will reduce it's efficiency by 3dB. Usually this is done by math when building a speaker, but since the car is a non ideal environment, and the faitalpro mids are high efficiency, you should listen to the system for a while and adjust to your taste later. I think it's a mistake to chase the dragon of theoretically perfect flat frequency response in car audio and instead focus on what you think sounds good.

The reason why they cover the center of the tweeter is because most dome tweeters have the cleanest output around the voice coil, and the highest distortion at the center of the dome due to how waves propagate over their surface. I'm splitting this hair pretty fine with good quality tweeters though.

Last edited by Bobby Kinstle; 05-05-2021 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:10 PM
DVE
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for the detailed answer, now the matter is clear.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:13 AM
DVE
AudiWorld Member

On the passenger side are now installed the Faital midrange and Ciare midwoofer. What can I say, a real difference between driver and passenger side I can not hear so. Maybe the Ciare is a little more precise. With the midrange I hear no difference at all. Either I have so dull ears, my expectations were too high or something else ...

Old 05-09-2021, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 737 Likes on 514 Posts

Remove the inductor and check if you can hear a difference. Those Faitalpro speakers are fantastic drivers compared to the cheap factory ones.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Originally Posted by DVE
On the passenger side are now installed the Faital midrange and Ciare midwoofer. What can I say, a real difference between driver and passenger side I can not hear so. Maybe the Ciare is a little more precise. With the midrange I hear no difference at all. Either I have so dull ears, my expectations were too high or something else ...
Try listening to this song:

I found her voice was pretty harsh in the louder passages on the factory mid, but not on the replacement mid (but I have the peerless woofer). Also listen to the room effects. On the factory mid, I only heard some reverb in the background, but after replacing the mids I realized she was singing in a very large room like a church. The biggest gain from replacing the factory mid was eliminating a lot of harshness at certain frequencies, especially the female vocal range.

For testing the woofer, I suggest listening to music with lots of bass guitar or cello. That woofer only plays a very limited range up to 43-170 hz (and frankly the system asks way too much from the midrange) so it won't really change vocals much, but bass notes will be tighter, deeper, and cleaner. It's especially noticeable on string instruments. If you listen to a lot of 80's rock, or country you'll get cleaner tighter drum beats but not much else.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:38 AM
DVE
AudiWorld Member

Thank you, I will check it that way.
When comparing, I move the balance control fully to the driver or passenger side.
This will give me a real and separate comparison - do you agree?
Old 05-10-2021, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Originally Posted by DVE
Thank you, I will check it that way.
When comparing, I move the balance control fully to the driver or passenger side.
This will give me a real and separate comparison - do you agree?
That's probably the best comparison you'll get, but sometimes you need both ears working to get the best sound representation.

Quick question, Did you open up the grille area on the front door woofers? That makes a pretty big difference since the woofer is about 75% blocked on the factory grill. I briefly ran mine with the grills removed entirely and I was sorely tempted to leave them off.

BTW I like how cleanly you mounted the filter. Nice job.

Quick Reply: Changing all the speakers in a B&O sportback car