Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 2018 model year and up

EU Drivers Really Nannied

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2024, 10:19 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Default EU Drivers Really Nannied

New cars to be fitted with automatic speed limiters across Europe from this week - can they be turned off?

I hadn’t seen much coverage of this until now.

New cars that are sold in Europe from this week (July 7, 2024) will host automatically-installed speed limiters, following the introduction of a new EU law.

Even though the rule to install the technology does not apply in the UK, many of the cars will have been made in Europe and so will feature the Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) anyway. The technology allows the car to automatically restrict its speed based on GPS location, speed-sign recognition and cameras within the vehicle.

It does so by reducing the engine power until the relevant speed limit is met. This is not done simply by applying the brakes, which could be dangerous, but by gradually reducing the engine's power.

However, drivers will first get a warning that they are driving too fast and be told to slow down before the measure takes affect.

The law will officially come into effect from Sunday, July 7.

There are currently no plans for the Government to introduce a similar law here in the UK.

A spokesperson for the DfT told This is Money: "The Intelligent Speed Assistance laws coming into effect in July apply to the EU and Northern Ireland only, not Great Britain.

"We are constantly carrying out research into how transport users across all modes can benefit from the latest technology, ensuring journeys are safe, reliable, and cut emissions."

In the EU, drivers will be able to turn off the system every time they start their car. It cannot be permanently shut off.”

Link To Original Article

I would think any US legislative body that tried that in the US would find themselves voted out of office.

— John
The following users liked this post:
JD15 (07-23-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 618 Likes on 445 Posts

It's been mentioned in a lot of EU car reviews. I mean you can disable it when you get into the car and I'm sure people will come out with work arounds like they did for start / stop for people who really want it.
Old Yesterday, 01:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 737 Likes on 514 Posts

All cars have been electronically limited at the top end, for many years now. That took about 5 mins to crack. But I have no idea where these people are driving without the limiter, except maybe to brag at the pub. This won't take long to overcome, if it is forced on.