Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 2018 model year and up

Winter Wheels: What to Look For/Avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

For what it's worth I actually did some 18" MSW Type 73's on my RS4. I went with Nokian WR G4's which are plenty for what i need and i'm in Wisconsin. I used to run Hakka R's but those are overkill and won't handle as well on dry roads. The wheels are cheap but since i'm running these in the winter i personally find no reason to spend too much cash on them. I'd rather spend more on the tires. Those G4's are quite impressive.
The following users liked this post:
dadrocker (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

It's not hard to find used Audi wheels on sites like Craigslist. I picked up an OEM set of the actual Audi S4 accessory winter wheels with decent Blizzaks for under $900. Even purchasing inexpensive wheels from Tire Rack plus shipping and tax would be more expensive.
garberfc (09-01-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 560 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by dadrocker
... But would 18" look silly on a car I've grown accustomed to seeing with 20" wheels? My old A5 SB had 18" wheels on it and it was fine to my eye then.
Nikon1 posted a pic of his S5 coupé with his 19" summers on the back and 18" winters (both OEM) wheels on the front, which is a very handy reference for the size difference. See link below.

It is completely personal, but given you are coming from a 20" wheel, you will find the difference profound. I always used to go a wheel size down, in both diameter and width, in winter. Certainly good in extreme conditions. But I am not driving in extreme conditions very often, so most of the time performance was compromised, not improved.

Some care needs to be taken with non-OEM 18" wheels, as not all may clear the B9 S5's brake caliper. Given you are in an area where salt is used, Audi don't recommend most of their summer wheels be used in these conditions, specifically those that use any polished elements. These are covered with a thin clear coat, and it can be hard to see if this is intact. The problem with salt corrosion on an aluminium alloy wheel is that it worms its way inside the structure, rather than starting on the surface as a steel wheel does. The Audi winter wheels, such as the Ramus, have at least 4 paint coats. This is a conservative view from Audi, and I ignore it - but I wash my wheels if I have been driving on salt.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25304638
dadrocker (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 147 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey T
It's not hard to find used Audi wheels on sites like Craigslist. I picked up an OEM set of the actual Audi S4 accessory winter wheels with decent Blizzaks for under $900. Even purchasing inexpensive wheels from Tire Rack plus shipping and tax would be more expensive.
Right, I've been looking. Still have time . . .
Old 08-31-2020, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
Nikon1 posted a pic of his S5 coupé with his 19" summers on the back and 18" winters (both OEM) wheels on the front, which is a very handy reference for the size difference. See link below.

It is completely personal, but given you are coming from a 20" wheel, you will find the difference profound. I always used to go a wheel size down, in both diameter and width, in winter. Certainly good in extreme conditions. But I am not driving in extreme conditions very often, so most of the time performance was compromised, not improved.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud.../#post25304638
Thanks for surfacing that great comparison, which is illuminating and sways me back toward 19", for sure.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,206 Likes on 939 Posts

I have been very happy w/ MSW wheels in a premount package from Tirerack.com.
I would not say spending the money on BBS is worth it at that point. Save your $ for better summer tires come time you burn up the OEM rubber...
I will post up what 18s look like on my Q7. I don't think they are out of place and there are plenty of pics to see what a Q7 looks like with 20s (stock) compared to these. I really don't care about the looks that much, considering they get sand blasted all winter long.
dadrocker (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I appreciate the range of opinions here, and the discussion many of you have offered. There are two camps, basically, each with some appeal to me.

One side suggests I go with whatever looks suit my taste and don't sweat the construction method or branding. I think this is based at least in part on the notion that salt and potholes will take their toll on whatever winter wheels I buy, so why spend more than absolutely necessary. The other argues for at least matching the OEM wheels in terms of quality, as laid out by @Glisse. My instinct is closer to the latter (think about quality), but the price spread is material. For instance, the BBS SX is $400 each, while an MSW Type 71 (for example) is half that. Both are Low Pressure Cast. On other vehicles, I've gone with seriously cheap winter wheels (like Sport Edition from Tire Rack, if memory serves) and they did indeed get bent, but I have no idea if a better quality wheel would have suffered the same fate. So I'm still not clear on what I want to do, but I'll just keep noodling on it and listening until it's time to pull the trigger. In the interim, just wanted to thank those who have offered their thoughts.

I also appreciate the discussion on tires. I've got some experience with winters in my current environment, so I feel okay making that decision. Basically, barring being caught unawares in a sudden blizzard, the chances of being forced to drive in a real mess are vanishingly small. That's been true, but is especially so for the foreseeable future as I expect to continue working from home well into the winter season, if not throughout. So I'll likely go with a performance winter as I've done in the past.

Thinking about these topics does raise a different but related question, on which I know there is a wide set of opinions (about which I'm generally ignorant). I've all along planned to go with 19 x 8.5, but of course on any of these wheels or tires, moving down to 18" makes the package quite a bit cheaper. The BBS SX, for example, is $400 at 19", and $285 at 18". I do understand that, basically, skinnier and smaller are superior for driving in snow. But would 18" look silly on a car I've grown accustomed to seeing with 20" wheels? My old A5 SB had 18" wheels on it and it was fine to my eye then.
I went from a 20” to an 18” wheel on my Q7 for winter and I think it looks fine.

Old 08-31-2020, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mhoran89
I went from a 20” to an 18” wheel on my Q7 for winter and I think it looks fine.
Thanks for posting those pics.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for posting those pics.
No problem.

Overall, it does not look as sporty, but you need to remember overall diameter / circumference isn't changing so it will still fill the wheel wells just the same, just have a different look.
Also, I prefer the meatier look of snow tires with some sidewall. Something just doesn't seem right rolling on rubber band man tires in the winter when they are snows.
Plus you will save boku bucks by going with a tire with more sidewall. Otherwise manufacturers try to balance performance, handling, ride quality, etc. into a tire with less to work with. For a higher performing summer tire, less sidewall is better, up until a point.
AudiOldSchool (09-06-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be aware of the wheel offset. Recently bought a set of Audi 19" with almost new Blizzaks for $900 for my RS5 (- 1" diameter and width). They do clear the brakes laterally but not by much; bought a set of 3mm spacers for peace of mind.
dadrocker (09-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Winter Wheels: What to Look For/Avoid?