Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 2018 model year and up

Wireless Android Auto and WiFi data

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 737 Likes on 514 Posts

OK, so this is definitely a problem with Wireless AA and/or Android. I had indeed set it up correctly I.e. I had not explicitly set up a WiFi connection to the wireless AA dongle, I just paired to its Bluetooth as required. What Wireless AA does is that it will create its own WiFi connection between the phone and the dongle. It does this without showing the WiFi icon on the phone. But you can see the WiFi connection made when you go into the WiFi settings. So it appears like WiFi is not used but it is.

Now if I force select the car's WiFi hotspot, the phone will briefly make a connection to it, but that stops AA. However worse still then AA will grab the WiFi connection again and kick you off the WiFi access point you selected.
This behaviour is irrespective if you are in the AA MMI menu or not. Because for the car, and the phone, the fact the Wireless AA dongle is plugged in that means that I want to use AA and I have to forgo my ability to use the car's data connection. Man this sucks.
Old 02-02-2023, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

I use an iOS device along with a wireless dongle, which works fine for connecting to the car's hotspot while using CarPlay. It sucks that AA forces you to use your phone's data rather than the in -car hotspot.

A quick search of Reddit posts showed that this behavior is not car brand, phone model or head unit specific, as VW and BMW owners with different Android phone models are all reporting the same thing. Sorry...
Old 02-02-2023, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes this really sucks big time. My only option now is to move the unlimited data SIM into the second SIM slot on the phone. Which is a poor solution but atleast it won't make the main phone's data run out due to AA. It will also mean that all the others in the car won't enjoy the car's WiFi network.
And ofcourse Samsung in their wisdom makes you choose between an SD card and a second physical SIM!
Old 02-02-2023, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Yes this really sucks big time. My only option now is to move the unlimited data SIM into the second SIM slot on the phone. Which is a poor solution but atleast it won't make the main phone's data run out due to AA. It will also mean that all the others in the car won't enjoy the car's WiFi network.
And ofcourse Samsung in their wisdom makes you choose between an SD card and a second physical SIM!
In that setup, can your passengers connect to your phone's hotspot -since that SIM has unlimited data- for internet access, while your phone is connected to the car via AA? I hope AA connection doesn't disable your ability to generate a hotspot and/or allow others to join.
Old 02-02-2023, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

https://support.google.com/androidau...ame-time?hl=en

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidAuto...ore_dual_wifi/
Old 02-02-2023, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ascari_Blue_A5
In that setup, can your passengers connect to your phone's hotspot -since that SIM has unlimited data- for internet access, while your phone is connected to the car via AA? I hope AA connection doesn't disable your ability to generate a hotspot and/or allow others to join.
I will need to check that. But even if it works, its a horrible option. It means that the phone with the hotspot has to be in the car to provide the connection. At the moment, the car is the gateway and this way my Audi Connect traffic also goes through my car's own SIM. That will stop too!!
Old 02-02-2023, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_Blue_A5
I will need to check that. But even if it works, its a horrible option. It means that the phone with the hotspot has to be in the car to provide the connection. At the moment, the car is the gateway and this way my Audi Connect traffic also goes through my car's own SIM. That will stop too!!
There's a similar issue with that. The phone can't be a hotspot while using Wi-Fi for AA. As far as I know this doesn't work with iOS, either. Can't use the Wi-Fi for anything else if the hotspot is active.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
There's a similar issue with that. The phone can't be a hotspot while using Wi-Fi for AA. As far as I know this doesn't work with iOS, either. Can't use the Wi-Fi for anything else if the hotspot is active.
This I know is possible on Android atleast and we use this all the time when at hotels and airports. Sometimes hotels/airports will give you only 1 wifi login, so one of us logs in and then creates a hotspot for the rest of us. That works fine.
Old 02-02-2023, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

This I know is possible on Android atleast and we use this all the time when at hotels and airports. Sometimes hotels/airports will give you only 1 wifi login, so one of us logs in and then creates a hotspot for the rest of us. That works fine.
Good to know. I know this works with Windows, too. Maybe it works in the latest iOS as well now, I've never tried, but Apple made changes to the hotspot a while back. It's always on now, whereas previously you had to turn it on first, and then it dropped the existing Wi-Fi connection to free it for the hotspot connections from what I remember.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Interesting, so let me check if there are any settings on the phone that I have not set correctly that might be the issue here. It could also be that I have set up wireless AA incorrectly, because it uses both Bluetooth and WiFi and maybe I shouldn't have connected to the AA WiFi explicitly and just chosen the Bluetooth.
I will report back on what I find.

BTW the Motorola MA1 dongle works quite well. And sits nicely snug in the small, otherwise useless, division behind the phone's wireless charging pad in the armrest. So its all very unobtrusive.
I don't think you can do wireless AA just over BT, you need the WiFi bandwidth.

Quick Reply: Wireless Android Auto and WiFi data