Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

s5 Alignment (was it bad, is it good?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 05:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s5 Alignment (was it bad, is it good?)

Just bought new tires (Mich. PS2) for my 2012 S5 so I also arranged to have the dealer do the 4 wheel alignment.

Take a look at the attached as I'm curious....Was it bad ? Is it now good ? I'm not questioning if I should have done the alignment.

The picture is not so good I hope you can see it, if not let me know how to better show it. I simply took a photo of the alignment report with the iPad and attached.

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2013, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not done a wheel alignment on my S5 (2011) but from my past experience with my Allroad it seems you didn't have anything too extreme. What stood out to me was the inconsistency from side to side which means you made the right call in having it done.

My question is if the alignment was done to manufacturer parameters or your own? I don't know what they are but was wondering if people have played around with the alignment in search of different handling feeling or other?

Thanks for posting, I think I need to find a good alignment place and do this myself. I don't think mine has ever been done or checked.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those look to be pretty typical figures. The one thing that stahnds out to me s the negative toe on the left side to start. Having atching positive toe after the alignement should make the car feel more stable. especially at speed on the highway. Some people will set toe to neutral to make the car feel quicker in the turns, but I would not recommend that except for auto-crossers. Slight negative camber is good - makes for better grip in the corners than 0 camber, but at some expense of faster tire wear along the inside edge of the tread.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies...

I did the alignment because I believe it is always the right thing to do after a 4 tire replacement. It was done to Audi standards, I gave no specific instructions. It drove true before the alignment and I feel no difference since WRT alignment issues anyway.

I did mention to the service tech that the LF tire clearly showed more wear on the inside edge (might have been the outside edge) than any of the others. Audi did the alignment but did not do the new tire mounting.

The old tires were stock PZero's with 18K miles. I was never a fan and they were getting loud with lots of vibration. Yes, I was happy with the miles but they were done and they still had a fair bit of tread life. Not a PZero fan...time will tell with the PS2's. Tires...thats a different story altogether. I'm NOT wanting to start a tire conversation here but the Michelins are sweet!