Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

19" winter tire option

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 19" winter tire option

Hi All

Just got my first A5 and I am happy as I can be! This is a great site and would like your input on winter tires. Dealer recommneded 19" Dunlop DS winter tires (as I do not get severe winter condtions BC Canada) for $2100(installed).
Your thoughts would be highly appreciated.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Firstly congrats on your new car. I assume your dealer recommended 19" tires because you aren't intending on swapping your current wheels and using a dedicated winter wheel/tire set?? What's your current wheel set-up?

You could probably source an 18" winter set of wheels and tires for less than the C$2,100... have you looked at tire rack?
Old 11-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by eire42
Firstly congrats on your new car. I assume your dealer recommended 19" tires because you aren't intending on swapping your current wheels and using a dedicated winter wheel/tire set?? What's your current wheel set-up?

You could probably source an 18" winter set of wheels and tires for less than the C$2,100... have you looked at tire rack?
Thanks for your reply Eire42. Current configeration is 19" wheels with Pirrali P zero tires. No I am not planning on having dedicated snow wheels and tire set as it requires wheels balancing and installing (cost). I thought having one set of wheels with two sets of tires (winter and performances) would cost less and look better.

No I haven't checked the tirerack. Is it availble in Canada ? and if I add shipping and installation am I better off getting it from dealer?

Will post pics soon...
Old 11-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by harshaca2007
No I haven't checked the tirerack. Is it availble in Canada ? and if I add shipping and installation am I better off getting it from dealer?
TireRack is definitely shipping to Canada. Both my sons and I have bought tires and Audi config. wheel/tire sets via Tirerack.com with great results. In fact, if you are near the USA/Canadian border, it likely is even more financially beneficial if you can ship to a close-by USA shipping agent (as we have here in ND, just an hour south of Winnipeg) and bring them through the border yourself. Has saved us at least a couple of hundred dollars (per 4 tires/wheel sets) considering also shipping and border brokerage fees over what you likely will pay at a Canadian tire dealer. We bring Audi parts in from California also this way.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harshaca2007
Thanks for your reply Eire42. Current configeration is 19" wheels with Pirrali P zero tires. No I am not planning on having dedicated snow wheels and tire set as it requires wheels balancing and installing (cost). I thought having one set of wheels with two sets of tires (winter and performances) would cost less and look better.

Will post pics soon...
I'm not sure about your logic..

If you're concerned about the cost of wheel balancing and installation - how will that differ if you swap out tires on the same set of rims. When they mount the winter tires, they then will need balancing. Since Tire Rack will have shipped the set mounted and balanced - I can't possible see how you are going to swap tires out twice a year and have that work out more cost effectively than having a dedicated set of winter wheels.

Additionally, the mounting process takes its toll over time on the tire/rim. I wouldn't like to see that mounting device used on my wheels more than is neccessary.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have just bought a 2009 leftover A5 with 19" performance tires (255/35-19). Need Snows & rims. The Audi winter package puts 225/45-18 on the car. Tire Rack & others seem to suggest 245/40-18.
Which is best?
Thanks
Old 11-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for all sugggestions. So it makes sense to get sets of tires and alloys from aftermarket dealer(like tirerack). Can you suggest a good wheel tire package (effective yet a bargain) may be from tirerack?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by pghaudi
I have just bought a 2009 leftover A5 with 19" performance tires (255/35-19). Need Snows & rims. The Audi winter package puts 225/45-18 on the car. Tire Rack & others seem to suggest 245/40-18.
Which is best?
Thanks
P.S. I live in CT. Willing to sacrifice a little winter effectiveness for better handling in dry weather. Also, I like the look of the wider tires. Sounds like 245/40-18 is the answer?
Old 11-20-2009, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just do a search on here for winter tire A5 / S5.

If you go on the audiworld tire/wheel forum Gary from tirerack lurks and can answer specific questions.

If you go on tire rack's website, load in your vehicle information, and click on winter tire packages, it will give you the reccommended sizes, and it comes down to pricing, and picking the rim and tire you like. (sounds like performance winter (not studless ice and snow) is what you want) Dunlop 3D or Bridgestone Blizzaks are the popular choices around here.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went from 18" low profile Pirelli PZero M+S to 17" Michelin Pilot Exalto standard profile All Weather tires.

The Pirelli's are nice, but for noise, handling, gripping in the winter, and subsequent wear and performance in the summer, the Michelin Pilot Exalto's are the best I could determine were out there.

And, you'll be amazed, awed, and grinnin' large at the lack of noise alone if you go Exalto's after driving those Pirelli's.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

Quick Reply: 19" winter tire option