Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2.0TFSI/DSG A5 in the pipeline for USA - Price point?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0TFSI/DSG A5 in the pipeline for USA - Price point?

I went for a 2009 A3 2.0TFSI/DSG/Quattro at least partially because I couldn't get that combo in an A5. Now it looks like 2.0TFSI and MAYBE DSG/Quattro will be offered in the 2010 A5! Any conjecture on what the MSRP might come in at?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Zetetic
I went for a 2009 A3 2.0TFSI/DSG/Quattro at least partially because I couldn't get that combo in an A5. Now it looks like 2.0TFSI and MAYBE DSG/Quattro will be offered in the 2010 A5! Any conjecture on what the MSRP might come in at?
I ordered the 2010 2.0T A5, but Tiptronic and 6-speed manual are the only current transmission options. I know they offer the S-tronic in Europe with the 2.0T A5, so not sure why we're not getting it. Maybe for 2011...too late for me.

The current Tiptronic is very smooth though, and can still get the paddle shifters with the S-line package. Just won't be quite as fast-shifting as the DSG would have been.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No DSG for the US market other than the TT and A3. All order guide information states TIPTRONIC no mention of the S-tronic/DSG
Old 06-17-2009, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AofC_RR
No DSG for the US market other than the TT and A3. All order guide information states TIPTRONIC no mention of the S-tronic/DSG
How much less $$$ is the 2.0TFSI versus the old V6?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zetetic
How much less $$$ is the 2.0TFSI versus the old V6?
No pricing is out but the difference is $3300 on the 2009 A4 so it would make sense for the difference on the A5 to be similar.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scottacus
No pricing is out but the difference is $3300 on the 2009 A4 so it would make sense for the difference on the A5 to be similar.
Too bad I already got my new A3, I would have grabbed an A5 at that price! Maybe next time around but I might be interested in the A1 when/if it gets to this side of the Atlantic. I like small & fast.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:08 AM
jwj
Audiworld Junior Member

With the weight of this car, (A5) I think the 3.0 TDI would be a better choice and fuel consumption would not be that different. I drove the 3.0 TDI for a few days in the Q7 and it has plenty of power and I was getting 30 mpg on the hwy, (flat roads here in FL).
Old 06-21-2009, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why does AoA make DSG such a big deal? I'm sure a lot of people are willing to pay extra for it.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm a BIG (DCT) Dual Clutch Transmission fan. VW/Audi's DSG is a gearbox I've lived with for 60k miles in my MY06 VW TDI w/DSG. With your right foot to can precisely ride an engines torque output with ease, fun actually. BMW has a DCT offering or at least maybe in the works, Ford has one coming, MB et cetera. (Make that Getrag, ZF, Porsche in house, Borg Warner) VW/Audi has the familiar 6sp DSD err S-Tronic in Audi speak and their newest 7sp mated to the 3.0 TDI V6 in the ROW.

Poor USA market,,,, often the last in line in terms of the Motherland offerings. The Euro ownership paradigm of fuel use 1st over performance 2nd is coming our way.. That being said, is a A5 3.0TDI w DSG such a bad thing? Not bloody likely! Audi’s trick is how to position the TDI as a premium cost option on the Order Guide. Make my 3.0 TDI w/ 7sp DSG (whatever) silver metallic.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:08 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Schneideau
I'm a BIG (DCT) Dual Clutch Transmission fan. VW/Audi's DSG is a gearbox I've lived with for 60k miles in my MY06 VW TDI w/DSG. With your right foot to can precisely ride an engines torque output with ease, fun actually. BMW has a DCT offering or at least maybe in the works, Ford has one coming, MB et cetera. (Make that Getrag, ZF, Porsche in house, Borg Warner) VW/Audi has the familiar 6sp DSD err S-Tronic in Audi speak and their newest 7sp mated to the 3.0 TDI V6 in the ROW.

Poor USA market,,,, often the last in line in terms of the Motherland offerings. The Euro ownership paradigm of fuel use 1st over performance 2nd is coming our way.. That being said, is a A5 3.0TDI w DSG such a bad thing? Not bloody likely! Audi’s trick is how to position the TDI as a premium cost option on the Order Guide. Make my 3.0 TDI w/ 7sp DSG (whatever) silver metallic.
Audi will bring the TDI over when Americans prove wiling to accept diesels in premium cars. I am sure they will be closely watching how the BMW 335d sells, as well as the Q7 TDI. If they sell well we may see the 3.0 TDI after all.

Why does AoA make DSG such a big deal? I'm sure a lot of people are willing to pay extra for it.
They are reserving the DSG for the S models at first to create a bit more differentiation. When the S5 arrives with the 3.0 V6 next year, it will have DSG. I would guess that DSG will make it into the non-S models in a few years to boost sales when the B8 platform is near the end of its lifecycle to keep people interested.

Quick Reply: 2.0TFSI/DSG A5 in the pipeline for USA - Price point?