Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2008 S5 vs. S6 on the highway today

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yup, but that doesn't mean at higher speeds the S5, can keep up , it shouldn't be able to

the S6 with higher HP, should be able to walk away, because, it will have room to spare, the S5 will in short max it's self out. It's kind of like the S5 and RS4 have the same torque HP curve up until 5500 RPM, the RS4 which can withstand for more stress at higher speeds will continue to accelerate at the pont where the S5 is maxing out.

The S5 is quicker than the S6, the S6 is faster than the S5. It's like 2 olympic runners, one is quicker, the other faster, the one who is quick has a fster 40 yards but the one who is faster, simply has another gear and walks away in the last 40 of the 100 yard dash. quickness and fast are not the same, anyway, point, makes sense the S6 walked away when these guys were up at speed.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I believe we're saying the same thing, just a different way in our posts - so yes I agree ;)

Except he says "shot past" which sounds like he blew the S5 out of the water and left it for dead. Unless either the S5 gave up and slowed down, or possibly hit the speed limiter - I don't think it was annihilated by the S6. My .02
Old 01-06-2008, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: 2008 S5 vs. S6 on the highway today

I thought all German cars were limited to 155. I'm sure you can get the car over that speed, but 170? I doubt it. 160 with momentum, probably. Another note, if you're doing 170, don't take your eyes off the road to see how fast you're going!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Cops could be using your S6 soon......oouch

Speeder's Confiscated Dodge Becomes DARE Car
June 19, 2007 - 8:58 AM

NAPERVILLE, Ill. - A Naperville man learned a hard lesson about speeding when his prized sports car was seized by authorities who clocked him traveling 127 mph in a 35 mph zone.

The lead-footed motorist?s violation came to light recently when Plainfield police unveiled their new DARE car: a 2000 Dodge Viper. Plainfield patrol Officer Mario Marzetta was about finished running radar on Essington Road in March 2006 when the catch of the day flew by.

He heard it before he saw it -- the Viper?s engine revving high before the car passed him traveling nearly 100 mph over the speed limit. The driver was eventually charged with felony fleeing and eluding police, while his car became the property of the Plainfield Police Department. Plainfield authorities wouldn?t identify the driver.

Now the shiny black Viper with a cognac leather interior has a fresh-paint detail and is outfitted with lights, ready to serve as the department?s new DARE car. DARE stands for Drug Abuse Resistance Education. The DARE car, which will be taken to community events, block parties, parades and schools, will make its public debut Tuesday at Cruise Night in downtown Plainfield.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:02 PM

Default wtf?

they can really do that? seize a car?
Old 01-06-2008, 01:09 PM

Default well

I would like to see a video of a legitimate race before anything. The S6 has 15 hp than the RS4 but its ~550 lbs heavier. Which means its most likely slower than a RS4 high speed or not. And the S5 doesn't get blown away by a RS4 so I doubt the S6 would completely annilhlate the S5 like described.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's b.s.

You can fine me, you can throw me in jail, but that's government robbery if you can take my stuff. Was my car gained through illegal means, if not, then they shouldn't have it. Period.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

yes, my hometown Bloomfield Hills MI, cops seized a CTS-V and a Corvette Z06!
Old 01-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default NYC can confiscate too and maybe CT, probably others

Probably depends on what road you do it on and whether they can show you were putting lives at risk - if 130mph in a 35mph zone you might deserve it but on a highway is another matter.

Also heard a story about a guy in Finland a few years ago... over there it costs you a small % of your income for certain traffic offences, but as he'd made a bundle that year selling his internet company it cost him something like $100k in fines for plain vanilla speeding.

Shows that a radar detector is a good investment if you plan on pushing it.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Agree but they are trying it.. you can probably get it back after going to Supreme Court :-)

Here's just one google search - you can probably find others, just not sure if this stuff has been shot down in court anywhere as it should be.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9401E7D8133CF93BA15752C0A9669C8B 63

Police Confiscate First Car Under Reckless Driving Policy

By JUAN FORERO
Published: January 28, 2000
A Brooklyn man accused of driving a Buick LeSabre at 117 miles per hour early yesterday became the first person to lose his car under a new city policy aimed at confiscating the vehicles of reckless drivers, the police said.

The driver, identified by the police as Peter Ruggeri, 38, of 112 Avenue T, was pulled over by two highway unit officers at 2:40 a.m. as he sped west on the Belt Parkway near the Flatbush Avenue exit, a stretch of roadway where the speed limit is 50 m.p.h.

After Mr. Ruggeri's four-door 1988 LeSabre was pulled over, he was charged with reckless endangerment, a felony punishable by seven years in prison upon conviction, and reckless driving, a misdemeanor, the police said.

He was also charged with driving while intoxicated, a misdemeanor. The police said that they administered a Breathalyzer test after detecting alcohol on his breath and that Mr. Ruggeri had a blood alcohol level of 0.15 percent.

By yesterday afternoon, the police were citing the case as a prime example of why reckless drivers should face charges and the loss of their cars, a policy that is closely modeled on the nearly year-old city program of seizing the vehicles of drunken drivers.

The police said that Mr. Ruggeri was pulled over about 100 yards from where a reckless driving incident occurred on Jan. 16 in which two young people died when a Mercedes-Benz traveling at least 73 m.p.h. slammed into the compact car in which they were riding.

Patrick E. Kelleher, the first deputy police commissioner, called yesterday's arrest ''a perfect example of what our aggressive enforcement policy is all about, getting people off the highways and taking their cars from them if they don't show the responsibility to utilize them properly.'' He added, ''we did what we thought was the correct thing in taking his vehicle away from him.''

Mr. Ruggeri remained in custody yesterday afternoon awaiting arraignment. New York Department of Motor Vehicle records show that he has one conviction for speeding in Brooklyn in 1997.

According to records from the Department of Motor Vehicles in Florida, where Mr. Ruggeri lived before moving to Brooklyn and where his Buick was registered, he was charged twice with driving while under the influence of alcohol and on separate occasions faced speeding and other charges.

Word of the first arrest under the reckless driving crackdown drew criticism from Norman Siegel, the executive director of the New York Civil Liberties Union, who contends that the program is unfair and not based on state law.

''We think it's fundamentally flawed, the initiative, because you're supposed to have your day in court before the government can punish you,'' Mr. Siegel said.

The Civil Liberties Union has already filed suit on behalf of drivers whose cars were seized as a result of the drunken driving policy, but the program has withstood two court challenges. Mr. Siegel said the reckless driving policy might be more vulnerable to a legal challenge because arrests and car seizures in such cases -- for example when a driver has been spotted weaving in and out of traffic -- are based on subjective observations by the police.

The police, however, have countered that before arresting drivers and confiscating cars, officers look for signs of potentially lethal driving -- either three dangerous moves or traveling at twice the speed limit. The police then later decide whether to seek forfeiture of the car in a civil action, a course they say they could take even if the driver is acquitted of the charges.

Mr. Kelleher and other police officials marveled that no one was hurt by Mr. Ruggeri yesterday before he was pulled over. Although his LeSabre is 12 years old, Mr. Kelleher said it had reached a speed far above the safe level for a highway like the narrow and curvy Belt Parkway. Officers followed Mr. Ruggeri's car, the police said, clocking him on their speedometer.

''You have to remember the Belt Parkway and other roads like this were built many, many years ago,'' he said. ''They are not meant to be traveled on at such speeds, with bumps and gaps and such. Even if it was a flat road, which it is not, it would have been dangerous.''

Quick Reply: 2008 S5 vs. S6 on the highway today