Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2009 A5 3.2 vs. 2010 A5 2.0T ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 A5 3.2 vs. 2010 A5 2.0T ?

Hi all,
I'm new to the forums here, but have been an avid reader of AudiWorld for years. I'm looking to buy an A5 in the next month or so and have a couple options. My local dealer has a 2009 that I could buy now, Premium, S-line package, B&O, and iPod interface. My other option is to order the 2010 A5 with the 2.0 TFSI engine option. This would either save me some cash with the cheaper engine or allow me to add more options like nav. Right now I'm leaning toward ordering the 2010, but was curious to hear people's thoughts on the 2.0T option vs. the '09 3.2.

I know the newest revision of the 2.0T is pretty darn close to the performance of the 3.2 from the factory, and gets better mileage. Was also thinking a tuning program from somewhere like APR would put the performance of the 2.0T slightly better than the V6. Would love to hear people's opinions, as I'm trying to make a decision in the next few days.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wgosling
Hi all,
I'm new to the forums here, but have been an avid reader of AudiWorld for years. I'm looking to buy an A5 in the next month or so and have a couple options. My local dealer has a 2009 that I could buy now, Premium, S-line package, B&O, and iPod interface. My other option is to order the 2010 A5 with the 2.0 TFSI engine option. This would either save me some cash with the cheaper engine or allow me to add more options like nav. Right now I'm leaning toward ordering the 2010, but was curious to hear people's thoughts on the 2.0T option vs. the '09 3.2.

I know the newest revision of the 2.0T is pretty darn close to the performance of the 3.2 from the factory, and gets better mileage. Was also thinking a tuning program from somewhere like APR would put the performance of the 2.0T slightly better than the V6. Would love to hear people's opinions, as I'm trying to make a decision in the next few days.

Thanks!

If you plan on reselling the car in a few years, you want NAV on it.

I like my 3.2 but if I were in your situation I would get the 2010.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi all,

Thanks!

This may sound absolutely silly, but I'm one of those detail kind of guys. I would only consider buying the 2.0T if the exhaust pipes were identical to that of the 3.2 FSI. For me, visually speaking, this gives the car the balanced symmetrical look when viewed from behind and I really prefer this look instead of the exhaust pipes being justified to the left side only - as seen on the B8 A4 2.0T. I've seen pictures of the upcoming A5 2.0T Cabrio (European model) with symmetrical exhaust - and if this is true for the coupe (U.S. model), I will definitely consider going the 2.0T route. The performance and mileage figures are a plus, no doubt. I plan on ordering my car in September. I also agree if you go 2010, definitely add the NAV not only for resale but because it's a much better bit of kit than the 2G MMI - notably with RTTI - Real Time Traffic Information.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Like newbie said, the third gen MMI is enough to warrant holding off for the MY10 model. When pricing come out I'll be the first one at the dealer.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And just as a note to those considering the A5 2.0T, I got an email from AWE Tuning this morning announcing their B7 GT Turbo kit which bumps the B7 version of the 2.0T to 377 hp!

I've got to thing it won't be too long before a similar kits comes out for the B8 engines. Yeah, 377 hp has GOT to be stressing a 2.0 pretty good, and at about $6K it ain't cheap, but that's got to be a blast to drive!

Cheers
Old 06-02-2009, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Speedy
Cheers

Nice ride you have there.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mgd99
Nice ride you have there.
Thank you and the same to you! I came very close to buying an A5 or S5 - I think they are drop dead gorgeous - before I lost my mind and ended up with the Cayman. Not that I'm complaining mind you, but I'll always have a soft spot for the A5... :-)
Old 06-03-2009, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks all for your responses. I ended up going with the 2010. Would have had to wait until September but turns out my dealer had ordered one for stock that was exactly what I wanted...so will take delivery in July! I'm pumped. Haven't had an Audi since my 1995 S6 was sold in 2005.

2010 A5 2.0 TFSI
Monza Silver
Prestige
S-Line
Old 06-03-2009, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks all for your responses. I ended up going with the 2010. Would have had to wait until September but turns out my dealer had ordered one for stock that was exactly what I wanted...so will take delivery in July! I'm pumped. Haven't had an Audi since my 1995 S6 was sold in 2005.

2010 A5 2.0 TFSI
Monza Silver
Prestige
S-Line
Hi, I am in the same situation as you are, though I haven't talked to any dealer yet. (especially I'm in your area as well Could you please post or email me the price you got and what dealer you are going with? Thanks a lot!
Old 06-03-2009, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DebugDerek
Hi, I am in the same situation as you are, though I haven't talked to any dealer yet. (especially I'm in your area as well Could you please post or email me the price you got and what dealer you are going with? Thanks a lot!
DebugDerek, I sent you a more detailed private message. In short I'm working with Audi of Oakland and will be paying dealer invoice + $900. 2010 pricing is not released yet, but asking for invoice plus a certain amount was easy. The dealer is guaranteed a certain profit and a committed order.

Quick Reply: 2009 A5 3.2 vs. 2010 A5 2.0T ?