Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2010 A5 to 2013 S5....and....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marshall Placid
Not sure about State laws... but if I were you, I would try to declare the car as a "lemoN" car and get a replacement.

The current car being serviced might have more problems later.

It is best to take care of this now.

Don't let Audi USA delay it further by saying that they have to "wait for parts", etc. etc.(lemon laws have a time limit... not sure how long). It sounds like the fact they "need" to get it from overseas will postpone this further.
A friend of mine is an attorney and I have apprised him of the situation. The basics for the NY State lemon law is that the car has to be at the dealer for repairs for 30 days in the first 18 months of ownership OR it has to have the same issue repaired four times.

Even if it is eventually declared a lemon, the issue would also be that I would not just another S5 off the lot...I had to wait three months for it to be ordered from the factory as I want it the exact color and options that I want...and paid for
Old 05-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jamblastx
A friend of mine is an attorney and I have apprised him of the situation. The basics for the NY State lemon law is that the car has to be at the dealer for repairs for 30 days in the first 18 months of ownership OR it has to have the same issue repaired four times.

Even if it is eventually declared a lemon, the issue would also be that I would not just another S5 off the lot...I had to wait three months for it to be ordered from the factory as I want it the exact color and options that I want...and paid for
That's what I was thinking, and why I wouldn't recommend going the route I did. I didn't have plans to special order, I bought a '12 that the dealer found me en route to the US, and long story short it was well on its way to lemon status when they agreed to swap my '12 for a '13 with identical options, again, on its way here. They tried the mechatronic unit first, then replaced the whole tranny, both had to be shipped from Germany so the car was just sitting at the dealer for probably 10-20 days of the 25 they had it (law is 30 days here). And that was all within the first 60 days of ownership, so if Audi had planned to hide behind the law I made sure they were aware it would be to their detriment as this was my 3rd Audi but first new purchase and experience with the company itself. As you said, you custom ordered and would expect an identical vehicle; mine had a different exterior/interior combo, both of which I was happy with.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lately this message board has been filled with mechanical issues. I feel lucky I bought a 2012 S5 and have no problems.

Feeling not so good about Audi right now. I've been wanting to add an A3, but now think a Lexus CT200 (hot looking hatchback) may be better.

Audi better watch trying to grow sales like a weed. They could get crap quality. Really concerned
Old 05-07-2013, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Lemon Law is not the only way to go, you have the implied warranty and the Tarr Baby Act. Lemon Law is not cut and dry.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wreck111
Lemon Law is not the only way to go, you have the implied warranty and the Tarr Baby Act. Lemon Law is not cut and dry.
And quite honestly the lemon law is truly a last resort just because in my best case scenario with that, would be for a new build which would be another three months at least. I am just hoping that the car was delivered with a faulty part, and that after it is replaced, the issue will be corrected for good.

And to an earlier poster, I agree...it surely does seem that there are way too many issues on this board. Being a long time VAG group owner and apologist, I wanted this thread to be a celebratory one. Even with the initial onset of the warning light coming on, never in my wildest dreams did I think this would be happening. I mean...one hour into ownsership? Wow...
Old 05-07-2013, 04:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I hear you regarding waiting an additional 3 months for a new car, but man, if I were you, I would want nothing to do with a brand new car that had such significant problems within the first 100 miles. You said you paid $60K+ for the car? Surely $60K+ entitles you to something that works/runs perfectly, IMHO. I would be absolutely livid if I were you.

And quite honestly the lemon law is truly a last resort just because in my best case scenario with that, would be for a new build which would be another three months at least. I am just hoping that the car was delivered with a faulty part, and that after it is replaced, the issue will be corrected for good.

And to an earlier poster, I agree...it surely does seem that there are way too many issues on this board. Being a long time VAG group owner and apologist, I wanted this thread to be a celebratory one. Even with the initial onset of the warning light coming on, never in my wildest dreams did I think this would be happening. I mean...one hour into ownsership? Wow...
Old 05-07-2013, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I know you wouldn't wanna wait 3+ months for another car -- why not see what's available? maybe something with equal or more options that they're willing to give you.

.....or ask for a more suitable loaner car if you do decide to re-order...and take a few road trips with the loaner
Old 05-07-2013, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Same problem on my brother's new 2013 S5. MIL came on with 50 miles on the clock. Part ordered... driving the car instead of letting it sit at the dealer for an unknown amount of time. I don't think this is a "lemon" issue but rather one poorly designed part that's going to cause Audi a bunch of headaches.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Just got off the phone with the dealer and Audi Corporate....5 to 10 days to get the drive unit since it is on back order from Germany. What a joke...less than 100 miles and a part fails that they cannot even locate in the entire US. Plus I have ZERO confidence that when they get it and replace it, that it will not be something else. After it is said and done, they will 'compensate' me but nothing can comepensate for this.
If the "drive unit" doesn't fix it, I would ask for a buyback.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Muhammad
Same problem on my brother's new 2013 S5. MIL came on with 50 miles on the clock. Part ordered... driving the car instead of letting it sit at the dealer for an unknown amount of time. I don't think this is a "lemon" issue but rather one poorly designed part that's going to cause Audi a bunch of headaches.
In a weird way, that is somewhat comforting to hear. I would much rather it be some faulty part (which is maybe why there is a delay in getting it) than some overall issue with the engine. The short amount of time that I had it, driving it was absolutely fine even with the Check Engine light on.

Ironically enough, my 85 year old father bought a Fiat 500 almost a year and a half ago and he too has his car at his dealer due to an engine issue. In his case, the engine sounded awful...kinda like if someone switched it with the original 500's 2 cyl air-cooled one. He was telling me yesterday that they may have to swap out the engine entirely.

Quick Reply: 2010 A5 to 2013 S5....and....