Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2010 A5- oil low at 5000 miles. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cabriolow
Thanks for the quote from the manual - closure
These days, the last place people seem to look is the owner's manual. I'm a moderator on one forum and a member on many others...and I see so many "RTFM" posts because people simply don't read it these days.

And, yes, it hopefully does provide closure.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cabriolow, by the way, my comment wasn't directed at you
Old 04-04-2010, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This brings up another question. I am a new S5 owner and have been monitoring oil level via MMI. I'd like to do it via dip stick too. Where is it located? There is a short, tiny stick on the right front side of the engine, but it does not appear to function as the oil dip stick. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is no dipstick. There is just a plug to seal up the dipstick tube.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hobbes
There is no dipstick. There is just a plug to seal up the dipstick tube.
Again - in the manual!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by cabriolow
Thanks for the quote from the manual - closure
To: atombomb33 and cabriolow

So you said that "1/2 quart (+/- 0.5 Lt of oil) per 600 miles", -according to the manual-, right?

Well, here's my situation:
I have a 2010 2.0T A5. One Saturday morning when my A5 had only close to 4000 miles I suddenly got a message on the MMI that said "NO OIL". I stopped the car, checked the MMI, and asked for help to Audi Road Assistance. The lady on the phone just wanted to fix my request by sending a flatbed (Saturday morning -thanks for ruining my weekend!) ... Anyway, one State Trooper stopped by and took me to the closest shop and I got 3 liters of the noted oil on the manual... I poured the 3 litters, ( I know, I could have only poured .250 lt. and that would have been enough – it’s on the manual right!) So I took the car in to the dealership on Monday and I was surprised to hear that they wouldn’t reimburse the 3 liters of oil that I needed to get for the vehicle… (Eventually they did reimburse -like close to 3 months later, and a series of very annoying phone calls-)… so the dealership performed the 5K miles service when the car had only 4K miles… and their explanation was that the car’s engine was designed to be used at speeds of over 70 miles per hour and that since I use the car mainly in the city, I should take the car out to the highway and run it at 70 miles per hour… (I though German engineering was smart enough to realize that they were designing a car for civil usage and not for semi-racecar purposes…) Anyway, after that Audi-trained-technician piece of advice, I took-off and hoped to never have to experience again running out of oil in an Audi.

My same 2010 2.0T A5 has now almost 6800 miles (only 2800 more miles after they did the 5K service and topped the oil levels), and the car is almost OUT OF OIL AGAIN !?!?!? Are you serious??? This car has used 6 liters of oil for less than 7K miles!
That’s over the 0.5 liters per 600 miles… what should I do experts?
Attached Images    
Old 12-23-2010, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had ongoing issues with my oil sensor. After 30,000 miles I've had it in at least five times for the MMI telling me I need oil. Audi refuses to replace the sensor, so I'll just keep taking it in. I wish it just had an old fashion dip stick.
The following users liked this post:
Insanekitty (11-09-2023)
Old 12-23-2010, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sigredz
Personally I think any new car that needs oil anywhere before
60k miles has a problem. But then again I've never owned a forgeign car until this one, so we will see. I still have my 1st car, a '94 cavalier and it still has never needed an additional drop of oil in 140k
I bet your cavalier doesn't need synthetic oil or premium gas either. You can't really compare the two.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i have the same issue...around 3K miles, i put a quart when the indicator was 3/4ths down but i didnt get the warning. the MMI showed i was full after that. I got my 5 K done, now around 9K miles, i got the msg thats says add 1quart max. i did that and it still gave me the same msg, i added anther, same msg. i refused to add a third and have driving the car to about 9800 miles. i was planning on changing the oil at 10K anyway so im just going to schedule a appt with the dealership to have a look at the oil sensor as well as another couple of things that have been bothering me with the car lately (RPM fluctuates between 2200-2400 at about 25-40 mph at times, when reversing, the wheel makes a weird grinding sound and vibrates)
Old 12-23-2010, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by juan.garcia76
My same 2010 2.0T A5 has now almost 6800 miles (only 2800 more miles after they did the 5K service and topped the oil levels), and the car is almost OUT OF OIL AGAIN !?!?!? Are you serious??? This car has used 6 liters of oil for less than 7K miles!
That’s over the 0.5 liters per 600 miles… what should I do experts?
Your car is not out of oil - nor was it out of oil the first time around. The "oil level" meter does not measure your total oil level. It only measures about a quart or so ABOVE the safe minimal level. So when your meter is at zero, it's not like the car has no il in it - it's just that it's down a quart.

In other words, your car has consumed about a litre of oil over the past 2800 miles.

Quick Reply: 2010 A5- oil low at 5000 miles. Normal?