Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2010 owners, how you like 3g mmi?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 owners, how you like 3g mmi?

I hear a few complaints out there: small poi database and street names not appearing unless really really zooomed in. true?

also, does audi still refer to poi's as "special destinations"?

how you like that little joystick they put on top of the controller? is it really useful?
Old 09-01-2009, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

also, for ownwers in san antonio, texas...does the 2010 navigation database have all those new highways that opened up in the north part of town? [near the north bmw dealer and the mall and airport]
Old 09-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i've never owned another audi w/ navi
but i just dont like this one.
tall 3b buildings block roads

2d view theres no street names regardless how much you zoom.
its as if the street names are in a dedicated section (for example "Broadway" will only show on Broadway and 34th street regardless of zoom)
so if im zoomed in at broadway and 30th street i wont know what streets i am on...

Also
if you play around with the joystick to move the screen around to figure out what street you are on, its impossible to go back to your current location.
i will only see the location of where my joystick left me.

the only thing i like about the new mmi is the dvd feature.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

They should higher the Garmin folks to do the nav system. Garmins are great.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derXmasta
i've never owned another audi w/ navi
but i just dont like this one.
tall 3b buildings block roads

2d view theres no street names regardless how much you zoom.
its as if the street names are in a dedicated section (for example "Broadway" will only show on Broadway and 34th street regardless of zoom)
so if im zoomed in at broadway and 30th street i wont know what streets i am on...

Also
if you play around with the joystick to move the screen around to figure out what street you are on, its impossible to go back to your current location.
i will only see the location of where my joystick left me.

the only thing i like about the new mmi is the dvd feature.
If you hit the return button after you've "joysticked" around the screen, it will return you back to your route/current location.

That being said, the NAV system in my wife's 2008 Acura is far superior to what's in the Audi. Getting around the NAV isn't as intutive as with the Acura and when we tried to find a specific restaurant in POI we got so frustrated, we abandoned and just drove from memory.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

To get the cursor back after scrolling around with the joystick, you have to hit the return button that is on the bottom center of the mmi console.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tiger4366
If you hit the return button after you've "joysticked" around the screen, it will return you back to your route/current location.

That being said, the NAV system in my wife's 2008 Acura is far superior to what's in the Audi. Getting around the NAV isn't as intutive as with the Acura and when we tried to find a specific restaurant in POI we got so frustrated, we abandoned and just drove from memory.
Hmm... i couldve swore ive tried that but ill try it again

what about when you enter a destination and it only shows you the End point as opposed to current location??

Yes i agree about Acura Navs. Also Infiniti's old and New nav are far better as well.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

In general, the Japanese navigation systems have been the best. Far better than the European. The one on my Honda pickup is vastly superior to the one on my wife's Mercedes.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derXmasta
Hmm... i couldve swore ive tried that but ill try it again

what about when you enter a destination and it only shows you the End point as opposed to current location??

Yes i agree about Acura Navs. Also Infiniti's old and New nav are far better as well.
when i last test drove a 2009 infiniti, the nav system restricted what you could do while driving...i don't believe the audi nav system does. for example, on a g37 if you are driving and want to see a specific poi, it will show you 1 screen's worth (about 5-7 items) and that is it, it will not let you scroll down to see the other 100. however, if you are parked, then you can see all of them. no destination entry while driving as well.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by topdowns5
In general, the Japanese navigation systems have been the best. Far better than the European. The one on my Honda pickup is vastly superior to the one on my wife's Mercedes.
what year is your wife's car? i just drove an e350 coupe and found the mb nav very easy to use. also, i noticed no restriction on what you could do while driving.

Quick Reply: 2010 owners, how you like 3g mmi?