Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2010 owners, how you like 3g mmi?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeinaustin
when i last test drove a 2009 infiniti, the nav system restricted what you could do while driving...i don't believe the audi nav system does. for example, on a g37 if you are driving and want to see a specific poi, it will show you 1 screen's worth (about 5-7 items) and that is it, it will not let you scroll down to see the other 100. however, if you are parked, then you can see all of them. no destination entry while driving as well.
Yes inifiti locks their Navs to only One screen and no inputs
you can enter destinations only if they are on your first page of favorites...

i just found their functions easier to manuver around
Old 09-01-2009, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by derXmasta
Yes inifiti locks their Navs to only One screen and no inputs
you can enter destinations only if they are on your first page of favorites...

i just found their functions easier to manuver around

does audi nav restrict you in any way while driving??? also, i test drove a new 370z and it did not restrict you to one page like the g37 did - i thought that was rather odd given they were probably the exact same system. however, i do know for 2010 the g37 gets an all new nav system (higher resolution graphics, etc, etc). i hope they remove these restrictions.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

what year is your wife's car? i just drove an e350 coupe and found the mb nav very easy to use. also, i noticed no restriction on what you could do while driving.
She has a 2006 E500. Yes, the Europeans generally allow you to do what you want while driving whereas the Japanese are more protective. They must have more lawyers.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

does audi nav restrict you in any way while driving???
It just makes you acknowledge a safety warning if the car is in motion before allowing full operability.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by topdowns5
She has a 2006 E500. Yes, the Europeans generally allow you to do what you want while driving whereas the Japanese are more protective. They must have more lawyers.
not quite, jaguar has an extremely restrictive nav system while driving. probably about the same as the lexus. i just test drove a 2010 xf this last weekend.

however, any 2010 owner want to comment on their poi database? also, does the 2010 a5 give you weather radar?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

not quite, jaguar has an extremely restrictive nav system while driving. probably about the same as the lexus. i just test drove a 2010 xf this last weekend.

however, any 2010 owner want to comment on their poi database? also, does the 2010 a5 give you weather radar?
I'm still plus/minus 80 days out from delivery to speak intelligently on POI database, however, I can say that I have toyed around with the 3G MMI in a Q5 and nowhere did I see anything for weather info/radar. I think Acura is the only manufacturer (that I'm aware of) that overlays XM weather info on the navigation display - thus allowing the driver to see where inclement weather will become a factor along a given route. Very nice, but the graphics are very sub-par/poor IMO.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

believe it or not, ford's newest system has weather radar and overall a very nice system. i don't know if they limit what you can do while driving.

for 2010 infiniti g37's get weather radar, speed limit advisories all on a new very high resolution screen. if it wasn't for the fact they limit what you can do while driving, i would say that is the best overall system out there (if you like touch screen that is). personally, i love the audi non-touch screen interface. i find it extremely easy to use.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

also....in the center gauge color display, if you are NOT currently travelling to a destination, will it show the current street you are on (and direction) when you put the display in "nav" mode?
Old 09-02-2009, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by topdowns5
Lawsuits, that was the 2nd phase of hte marshall plan, while in our attempt to do away Japanese culture, banning Sepluco and the Code of Bushido, we introduced the code of the attorney, thou shall sue for all and anything.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

also....in the center gauge color display, if you are NOT currently travelling to a destination, will it show the current street you are on (and direction) when you put the display in "nav" mode?
anyone?

Quick Reply: 2010 owners, how you like 3g mmi?