Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2011 S5 Coupe Arrived

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jaymacc077
Thats awesome man! I like the new 3d software with the navigation. But I thought Hill hold was not available anymore and I bet you turn a lot of heads with the sprint blue color. Im more of a racing type and would probably have all my settings in dynamic lol

I drove an M6 the other day and fell in love with everything but the styling. Im still and audi nut but it almost had me thinking.
I've seen a couple of people see my S5 and just end up staring at it, giving a thumbs up or nodding with a big grin... and then forget that they are driving a car at the same time. I've also seen an instance where someone took a picture of my car with his cell phone.

I even had someone shopping for an Audi staring at my car while I was completing the required paperwork.

As far as the 3D navigation maps... I would like it if I could make the map orientation so that north was the top. That's how I like my maps (Google defaults to this), so 2D for now. I'll probably use the 3D maps if I travel and need building reference points.

During the period that I was saving up for a new car, I saw several ads for a 2007 M6 and was quite tempted... until I thought about the even worse gas mileage and the incredibly high maintenance costs. Would have been nice, though.

Last edited by questionlp; 08-29-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hehe, funny reading your posts because I'm going through the same things with my S5 that I just picked up, except about learning a manual since i've been driving them for a while.
I've reached for a key a couple of times to shut off the car when leaving... But more so when leaving, I start to leave and remember I have to press the button to shut off the car. Somehow I'm expecting the convenience key to shut it off too. ^_^

For my daily driving, I've set the engine to comfort and everything else to auto. I like how the steering gets light when parking or driving at slow speeds. Makes it more comfy... Plus, with the engine set to comfort mode, it's a lot smoother to drive and less jerky. Mainly during upshifts, it's much smoother. Additionally, it almost seems like it consumes less gas in comfort mode.

Regarding the map, I think if you don't have it in 3D mode u're missing out on something... Sort of. Seeing the roads that are a little ways ahead, but coming up. What I mean is this... If I'm headed somewhere I'm not familiar with and don't have a destination entered, I can see that road where I need to turn coming up a little be of ways because of the bird's eye view. Not sure if the 2D map allows for that.

With that said, the car is quite customizable and I still have a lot to learn in order to make the best use of it. Namely the voice guidance. I haven't been using it yet except for phone calls, because I need to learn the commands.

I do need help with something though.. The mirrors. I'll have to create a post about it, but let me ask you in case you use it maybe you can let me know how it works on your car... The heated mirrors. I set the mirror switch to the center and press it down. But it almost seems as if the passenger side isn't working. It takes a heck of a long time for it to remove any fog on the mirror. Takes at least 10-15mins, whereas in the Infiniti and the AMG, it takes a very short time. On those vehicles, you could actually touch the mirror and tell it was hot, but not on this car.
Also, for some reason, my passenger mirror doesn't tilt down automatically when put in reverse. I move the switch to the right, put the car in reverse and nothing happens. It saw it do that twice since I owned the car, but it hasn't been doing so lately. Can you check on your car and let me know how these 2 features operate?

Thanks, enjoy your ride.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sorcereur
Hehe, funny reading your posts because I'm going through the same things with my S5 that I just picked up, except about learning a manual since i've been driving them for a while.
I've reached for a key a couple of times to shut off the car when leaving... But more so when leaving, I start to leave and remember I have to press the button to shut off the car. Somehow I'm expecting the convenience key to shut it off too. ^_^

For my daily driving, I've set the engine to comfort and everything else to auto. I like how the steering gets light when parking or driving at slow speeds. Makes it more comfy... Plus, with the engine set to comfort mode, it's a lot smoother to drive and less jerky. Mainly during upshifts, it's much smoother. Additionally, it almost seems like it consumes less gas in comfort mode.

Regarding the map, I think if you don't have it in 3D mode u're missing out on something... Sort of. Seeing the roads that are a little ways ahead, but coming up. What I mean is this... If I'm headed somewhere I'm not familiar with and don't have a destination entered, I can see that road where I need to turn coming up a little be of ways because of the bird's eye view. Not sure if the 2D map allows for that.

With that said, the car is quite customizable and I still have a lot to learn in order to make the best use of it. Namely the voice guidance. I haven't been using it yet except for phone calls, because I need to learn the commands.

I do need help with something though.. The mirrors. I'll have to create a post about it, but let me ask you in case you use it maybe you can let me know how it works on your car... The heated mirrors. I set the mirror switch to the center and press it down. But it almost seems as if the passenger side isn't working. It takes a heck of a long time for it to remove any fog on the mirror. Takes at least 10-15mins, whereas in the Infiniti and the AMG, it takes a very short time. On those vehicles, you could actually touch the mirror and tell it was hot, but not on this car.
Also, for some reason, my passenger mirror doesn't tilt down automatically when put in reverse. I move the switch to the right, put the car in reverse and nothing happens. It saw it do that twice since I owned the car, but it hasn't been doing so lately. Can you check on your car and let me know how these 2 features operate?

Thanks, enjoy your ride.
With the engine in comfort, I have found it a bit easier to start from a dead stop and shifting into 2nd. I've been able to get an average of about 21 MPG on the highway in Auto and around 16 MPG in mixed driving. I'll probably get a bit better as I get more used to the transmission.

With the 2D map, I can zoom down to the 3-4 block level, which is usually enough for me. I like the fact that there is the option for the 3D map when needed.

I haven't tried the setting the mirror to tilt down upon reverse. I'm still used to the regular procedure since I don't have anything fancy in my A4. I also have not had a chance to test the heated mirror, since the weather hasn't really allowed for it yet. I'll see if I can test the mirror tilt, but I may not be able to report on the heated mirrors for a while longer

I hope someone else can help you with the mirror problems.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just got back from a nice drive and run of errands, and was able to test out the mirror tilting when going in reverse. I selected the passenger side mirror, put it into reverse and saw that the mirror did tilt down. I turned the **** to the heating position and the mirror tilted back up (didn't test setting it to the driver side).

It sounds like you may have a bum passenger side mirror assembly.

I still couldn't test the heated mirrors as there was no condensation to clear this morning.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by questionlp
  • When playing files off of an SD card, it doesn't save the shuffle setting the next time I start the car
This annoyed me as well... I noticed the same behavior when I copied a bunch of music to the jukebox to test that functionality out and the shuffle setting is not persistent after power cycling the MMI.

The 10Gb jukebox option is still pretty slick though... I was not aware of that feature until after I bought the car. I fall back on it if slacker crashes or I cant seem to find any stations I'm content with.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by td80
This annoyed me as well... I noticed the same behavior when I copied a bunch of music to the jukebox to test that functionality out and the shuffle setting is not persistent after power cycling the MMI.

The 10Gb jukebox option is still pretty slick though... I was not aware of that feature until after I bought the car. I fall back on it if slacker crashes or I cant seem to find any stations I'm content with.
I'll probably import some of my favorite albums on to the 10GB jukebox; but considering how inexpensive SD cards are now, I'll probably continue down that route. The only thing that I wish MMI supported are the two more common lossless formats: FLAC and Apple Lossless. I know, I could use my iPod for the latter, but I'm sick of iTunes :P
Old 08-30-2010, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by questionlp
I'll probably import some of my favorite albums on to the 10GB jukebox; but considering how inexpensive SD cards are now, I'll probably continue down that route. The only thing that I wish MMI supported are the two more common lossless formats: FLAC and Apple Lossless. I know, I could use my iPod for the latter, but I'm sick of iTunes :P
Since Slacker started supporting station caching, I have completely migrated to that as my portable and fixed music source wherever I am. I bought an iPod touch purely for that purpose not long ago and have had reasonably good luck with it. The quality of satellite got on my nerves and the playlists have gone down hill severely as of late. I now have 25 cached stations on my touch which stays in the car at all times for that purpose only. The quality of Slacker is still only that of MP3, but leaps ahead of the horrendous quality of Sirius/XM.

Now if I could only get the iPod display to show up on the MMI screen I'd be 100% happy. Until then, I'll deal with the display only being on the touch and remain only 90% happy.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey, thanks for checking... Figured out the mirror tilt thing, had to do with the memory function. The memory button needs to be turned on in order for the mirrors to tilt.

Yea, so i'm not imagining about the smoothness while in Comfort.. Heck of a difference. I just wish I didn't have to always select "Individual" when I start the car.

I got about 23mpg on the highway yesterday, on about 20mile stretch... Pretty good.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by td80
Since Slacker started supporting station caching, I have completely migrated to that as my portable and fixed music source wherever I am. I bought an iPod touch purely for that purpose not long ago and have had reasonably good luck with it. The quality of satellite got on my nerves and the playlists have gone down hill severely as of late. I now have 25 cached stations on my touch which stays in the car at all times for that purpose only. The quality of Slacker is still only that of MP3, but leaps ahead of the horrendous quality of Sirius/XM.

Now if I could only get the iPod display to show up on the MMI screen I'd be 100% happy. Until then, I'll deal with the display only being on the touch and remain only 90% happy.
I agree that the audio quality of Sirius/XM is crappy, though it acts as a filler when I'm tired of what's on my iPod or SD cards. Then again, having two good sources of music on HD Radio helps to keep me from getting that bored with music.

I'll look into Slacker later this week. Cheers.