Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2012 A5 not leasing well right now

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 A5 not leasing well right now

Just went to check out the A5 (P+ with SP) and liked it but the lease rate is horrendous. I was quoted a shocking $7XX/month ($0 down, 10k, 36 mths). The dealer is only willing to go $1-2k below MSRP. Is there any chance the MF will come down or some sort of promotion near term to sweeten the deal? I can get a similar MB C-Class C250 Coupe for around $500/month.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol the C250 compares nothing to the A5, everyone drives that....
Old 09-12-2011, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Phantom BlacK
lol the C250 compares nothing to the A5, everyone drives that....
I mean the just released C Coupe. Not the run of the mill sedan.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default don't hold your breath

Originally Posted by tubi
Just went to check out the A5 (P+ with SP) and liked it but the lease rate is horrendous. I was quoted a shocking $7XX/month ($0 down, 10k, 36 mths). The dealer is only willing to go $1-2k below MSRP. Is there any chance the MF will come down or some sort of promotion near term to sweeten the deal? I can get a similar MB C-Class C250 Coupe for around $500/month.
In short: no chance. Audi (and VW group) is sitting on a ton of cash and planning to open 7 more factories. Currently they are cash king in the world and really don't need to knee for anyone. So unlike other car manufacturers, they are not desperate to kill themselves with discounted sales prices and low interest rates. On top, they want to maintain the prestige of the brand by not making it available to everyone with average income.

I pay mid 6xx monthly with 10% down, 12K annual, 24months term, buy out option at the end of the lease. (2012 A5 P+ with navi and rear view parking camera)
Without the 10% down it comes close to mid 8xx monthly.

Sorry if I had to disappoint you.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2012 c-250 vs 2012 Audi A5

I looked at the new c250 as you described. Some features very similar to Audi (interior) except the unbeatable A5 media center, but I personally never liked the Mercedes's driver cockpit.

Also the exterior, especially the front bumper area is not really nice with Mercedes.

On the positive side they seem to implemented a really nice sunroof and their leasing price is much more affordable. Check though the capital reduction after your lease expires in case you consider buying it at the end of your lease.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That is a lot. I am paying 750 a month for my S5 with 15k miles. An A5 should be in the 600's at most.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mattsblackS5
That is a lot. I am paying 750 a month for my S5 with 15k miles. An A5 should be in the 600's at most.
Did you get your S5 under some special promotion or put a lot of money down?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I mean the just released C Coupe. Not the run of the mill sedan.
C250 is more comparable to the A3 than the A5 IMO.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you get your S5 under some special promotion or put a lot of money down?

Nope, just first month, tax and inceptions.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need Details

To compare apples to apples, you need the following details:

1. The price the lease is set on (cap cost)
2. Term of the lease (10k and 36 months is a start)
3. The residual (this is set by the bank based on the line above)
4. The money factor (this is set by the bank but the dealership can mark this up to almost double...you want the "buy rate" or the rate that they are getting).
5. The security deposit (if you pay it up front, it decreases the lease payment approx $10-15/month and you get it back at the end assuming no damage to the car).
6. The acquisition fee/bank fee should be paid up front (you don't want to pay interest on it)
7. Additional fees (tax - monthly for your locale, title, tag, and all other miscellaneous fees such as "doc" fees).

If at the end of the calculation it costs too much, here's why:

To say that you can get a C250 Coupe for $XXX makes no sense unless you've gone through a calculation of your own lease and you really understand what you are paying for. Comparing lease monthly payments is silly unless you know what it is made of. If it is a good lease, they terms will be good (cap cost, residual, and money factor). The money factors are competitive for Audi but the residuals are more realistic of what the car will be worth at the end of the term. In other words, BMW and Mercedes inflate their residuals so that your monthly payment is lower. Then, at the end of your lease their hope is that you'll see it makes no financial sense to buy the car you've just leased and get you into a new car at a similar low payment. The same time they'll internally "write-off" their inflated residual and sell the previously leased car thereby making 2 sales that they are making a handsome profit on. Oh, and don't forget, they will nickel and dime you for every scratch, ding, or chip on your old car and charge your much more than it would cost to fix it on your own.

Real life example....the BMW I just returned had an MSRP of $6000 more than the Audi I just leased yet cost me approx $100 less per month than the Audi. Why? The Audi's residual is slightly lower and the discount on the BMW was greater (European Delivery). BUT, the residual for that car was ridiculous seeing that there are many more 2008 535xi's on the market than will be 2012 S5's. The bottom line is that BMW was asking about $15,000 above market price for me to buyout my car but multiple sources have told me that Audi's residual value will approximate or be slightly less than market value.

And for goodness sake, please do not EVER pay a down payment (aka cap cost reduction). If you total the car, NOBODY is going to pay that back to you unless your car's market value is substantially more than what you owe the bank. Asking for cap cost reduction is just a way for the dealership AND bank to get you to part with your money and fool you into thinking that you're able to make a more affordable monthly payment. Don't fall for it.

Rant over...

Quick Reply: 2012 A5 not leasing well right now