Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2012 A5 not leasing well right now

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The current A4 and A5 have never leased well since the start. This is unlike the previous generations. While I agree that Audi/VW is sitting on a lot of money right now, they have also been claiming to want to lead in sales. The poor lease incentives will not help this cause.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering about this. Audi's site is crappy for finding out payments for anything. They just direct you to dealerships and have no info.

BMW 328i sedan is leasing for $299/mo for 36 months with $4500 due at signing.

328xi coupe is like $409/mo with 3500 down.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryanjm
I was wondering about this. Audi's site is crappy for finding out payments for anything. They just direct you to dealerships and have no info.

Some dealers will be able to honor these. Most will not. Read the fine print. There are certain packages that are included with these payments. The dealerships typically do not have all the cars advertised on the website set and ready to go. They may have to trade or wait for allocation to become available. At year-end, you may only be able to get what they have on the lot and dealerships in the US typically order more options/packages than these example leases include. Want keyless entry? Nav? That's a whole new payment in a whole new ballpark. On the flip side, don't want the upgraded sound, ventilated seats, and active cruise that is already on the car? Sorry, that is an additional $300 per month. And again, the "down" is stupid. It's the same, in the case of the 328xi coupe example, as paying $97 more per month. If you total the car, nobody is going to pay you what you put down.

Audi is in a unique situation. They want to sell more cars overall yet Johann de Nyschen's regime has gone on record as saying that they want an Audi to be prestigious and they want you to be pulled into the dealership rather than push the cars out towards you. They view driving an Audi as a distinct privilege. They can't have it both ways (expand AND be exclusive) so they will have to decide here at some point. Also, Audi's restrictive European Delivery program limits the potential brand loyalty that could be established if they loosened things up like BMW and MB.

Last edited by cha777; 09-14-2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: adding facts/clarification
Old 09-14-2011, 09:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ryanjm

Bare in mind, the BMW 3-series is an old model about to be redesigned. The new model will debut very shortly. These crazy low lease deals always surface as a model is about to be changed.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cha777

Audi is in a unique situation. They want to sell more cars overall yet Johann de Nyschen's regime has gone on record as saying that they want an Audi to be prestigious and they want you to be pulled into the dealership rather than push the cars out towards you. They view driving an Audi as a distinct privilege. They can't have it both ways (expand AND be exclusive) so they will have to decide here at some point. Also, Audi's restrictive European Delivery program limits the potential brand loyalty that could be established if they loosened things up like BMW and MB.
Is it true Audi no longer considers MB a competitor? That was what the salesman told me.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tubi
Is it true Audi no longer considers MB a competitor? That was what the salesman told me.
Absolute lie. BMW and Mercedes are huge Audi competitors. Never believe any salesman story or pitch. Do your own car research and do not rely on a dealership, as they will always put their need for the highest possible profit above all else.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by cha777
Some dealers will be able to honor these. Most will not. Read the fine print. There are certain packages that are included with these payments. The dealerships typically do not have all the cars advertised on the website set and ready to go. They may have to trade or wait for allocation to become available. At year-end, you may only be able to get what they have on the lot and dealerships in the US typically order more options/packages than these example leases include. Want keyless entry? Nav? That's a whole new payment in a whole new ballpark. On the flip side, don't want the upgraded sound, ventilated seats, and active cruise that is already on the car? Sorry, that is an additional $300 per month. And again, the "down" is stupid. It's the same, in the case of the 328xi coupe example, as paying $97 more per month. If you total the car, nobody is going to pay you what you put down.
Yeah I realize there are going to be limitations with it. Even with 0 down and adding $100/mo onto the payment, you're still looking at $500/mo for a 328xi. I've seen people quoting like $600-700/mo for an A5.

I guess it must really be the re-design coming up that's pushing the prices lower. Heck, maybe it's a great time to pick up a 335xi! $459/mo (more like $559 factoring in down payment), but still cheaper than an A5, and yet with S5 speed.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SFV A4
Absolute lie. BMW and Mercedes are huge Audi competitors. Never believe any salesman story or pitch.
He even said Audi has more prestige than MB these days because you don't see one on every street corner.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm paying $1000 a month for my S5, 39 month 10k/yr. zero down.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

^Wow that is rape. $39,000? Hopefully your buyout is $20,000.

Quick Reply: 2012 A5 not leasing well right now