Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2012 S5 - Summer Tires in Snow?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Michelin Alpin is how I roll in Winter and highly recommended. Great performance grip in snow/slush/sleet yet remarkably quiet.

I also go with 18" Winter rims to provide a somewhat taller sidewall than my Summer 19" for a bit of pothole protection.

I'll be taking my snow's off this weekend as we had a 70 degf+ day yesterday!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Yup, think my snows are coming off this weekend too. Pretty much guarantee Boston will get a foot of snow in the next couple of weeks!

I have the Dunlops Wintersports as well. They have been great.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have all-seasons (Either Pilot Sports or Conti DWS) that can comment on how the car does in various weather conditions with these tires?
Old 03-13-2012, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I acquired my 2012 S5 last September. Late October installed a set of Michelin Alpin 3 tires on some cheap rims from Tire Rack. Last three winters here in ND averaged over 50 inches of snow. This year barely any. So, my theory is that putting winter tires on my S5 prevented ND getting any snow. +70 again today so will consider changing to summers by Easter.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dunlop Wintersport 3D is what I run. Great tire overall and offers excellent performance. Friends have used them through the years on other cars and have got excellent life out of them. Only had mine one season and I have no complaints.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have the Michelins, but have only had them for one winter, where there was hardly any snow as everyone noted. But when there was snow, it drove great.

If you read the reviews at Tirerack.com you will find that the Dunlops and the Michelins rank at the top, and the Blizzaks are in that class too. You really can't go wrong, as you can tell from the reviews here.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by sled1130
I just got my brand new 2012 S5 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with how the summer tires work in the snow...I know they're not meant for snow but are they sufficient in the snow? Or is it a must to get a separate set of winter tires for the winter/snow? Any input is appreciated
I just got a new S5 as well, and we had a light dusting of snow. The tires worked fine, but you are seriously compromising yourself. I'd definitely get winter tires for the winter. Why skimp on a car like this?

Mark
Old 03-17-2012, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 547 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by The5tig
Does anyone have all-seasons (Either Pilot Sports or Conti DWS) that can comment on how the car does in various weather conditions with these tires?
I've used Conti DWS the past two winters (last winter had 130" of snow) and they are quite good in the snow. Not as good as performance winter tires, but close. I will probably switch to the Dunlop 3D for my next set of winter tires, but have been pleased with the DWS so far.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JD15
I've used Conti DWS the past two winters (last winter had 130" of snow) and they are quite good in the snow. Not as good as performance winter tires, but close. I will probably switch to the Dunlop 3D for my next set of winter tires, but have been pleased with the DWS so far.
Do you think using the DWS all year is a bad idea? I'm going to live in a city and thanks to my life as a medical resident I truly will have almost zero time to deal with things like going to switch outmu wheels every season. I'm sure I could do it, but I'd rather not. I've heard good things about them. If I understand correctly the compound is a blend between summer and winter ( which seems obvious) .
Old 03-18-2012, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

All season tires would seem to be ideal in your case. They're a bit of a compromise both Summer and Winter, but typically good enough in most climes and you will avoid having to maintain two sets of rims/tires. I prefer Michelin AS (wife's car), but Dunlop has some great tires as well.
All the best with your residency!

Originally Posted by The5tig
Do you think using the DWS all year is a bad idea? I'm going to live in a city and thanks to my life as a medical resident I truly will have almost zero time to deal with things like going to switch out my wheels every season. I'm sure I could do it, but I'd rather not. I've heard good things about them. If I understand correctly the compound is a blend between summer and winter (which seems obvious).

Quick Reply: 2012 S5 - Summer Tires in Snow?