Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2013 S5 - No rear differential?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 S5 - No rear differential?

My dealer is ordering their first batch of 2013 S5's. They called me because they knew I wanted to order one as soon as they are available. Rear differential is not an option this year. Unless it's built in to all the models? According to the GM of my dealership, it doesn't appear to be an option. Could that really be possible? I ordered it anyway, because I am looking forward to the new 6-cylinder turbo engine.

Has anyone heard anything differently re rear differential on the 2013 models?
Old 03-19-2012, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe they cut corners for the new S5, if it does not have it. Not good with no sports differential.

My recommendation: Tell the dealer to scout for the last remaining S5s with sports differential in the US inventory.

After all, you get a V8 and a much better city mileage on the V8 than the gas-thirsty supercharger V6. You can get 18-19 MPG on the V8 and only 14-16 MPG on the V6 for city driving.

The sports differential is a must if you enjoy driving in the twisty or accelerate in curving roads

Last edited by ayap; 03-19-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

[QUOTE=ayap;24277199]
After all, you get a V8 and a much better city mileage on the V8 than the gas-thirsty supercharger V6. You can get 18-19 MPG on the V8 and only 14-16 MPG on the V6 for city driving.

T/QUOTE]

V8 is much thirstier then the v6 supercharged.... i had a s5 for 3 years, now i have an S4... i averaged 13-14 around town in the s5, I am getting 17-18 in the S4

V8 is better though, this v6 is fun but has no sound without upgrading the exhaust, I should have done it but it would have been a waste for a 12 month lease.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

You meant of course supercharged (vs. turbo). But the V6T moniker is confusing to be sure.

Doubtful Audi would cancel the sports differential, although it's probably not a commonly equipped option, especially for dealer stock orders.

Originally Posted by jfitzpat9
My dealer is ordering their first batch of 2013 S5's. They called me because they knew I wanted to order one as soon as they are available. Rear differential is not an option this year. Unless it's built in to all the models? According to the GM of my dealership, it doesn't appear to be an option. Could that really be possible? I ordered it anyway, because I am looking forward to the new 6-cylinder turbo engine.

Has anyone heard anything differently re rear differential on the 2013 models?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Huey52
You meant of course supercharged (vs. turbo). But the V6T moniker is confusing to be sure.

Doubtful Audi would cancel the sports differential, although it's probably not a commonly equipped option, especially for dealer stock orders.

Yes, you're probably right. Hopefully in my case it's the fact that this is one of the dealer stock orders? But what concerns me and makes me think that the sports differential may not be an option this year is the fact that the dealership (including their senior managers - not just the salesperson) said that it's not available this year. Granted, they may be mistaken as they haven't yet received the regular order catalogs with full pricing yet.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If the Manager himself tells you there's no sports differential option, then do not order the 2013 S5 model.

I've driven and S4 and S5 without the sports diff, and it's not just as fun to drive. It's either you get the last batch of 2012s with a V8 or wait for 2014.

I also wanted to get the V6 supercharger thinking it will save me gas money. I was wrong, since I've seen many V6 supercharger owners saying they get 14-16 MPG for city driving. The V8 will save on gas - since it's more fuel efficient than the V6 supercharger in city driving. I get 19 MPG city driving - and this is actual MPG not computer.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Although I applaud your tenacity of opinion, and don't doubt your own experience, stictly from an engineering perspective the V6T should be more fuel efficient than the V8. The intercooler provides a denser charge at all times and when not in boost it's a V6 after all, and lighter to boot. However, personal driving style (easy/lead foot) and typical driving environment(highway/byway mix) are the primary components of fuel economy.

Oh, and I've known Audi managers to have poor intel as well.

Originally Posted by ayap
I also wanted to get the V6 supercharger thinking it will save me gas money. I was wrong, since I've seen many V6 supercharger owners saying they get 14-16 MPG for city driving. The V8 will save on gas - since it's more fuel efficient than the V6 supercharger in city driving. I get 19 MPG city driving - and this is actual MPG not computer.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Optional

The sports differential is listed as standard on the 2013 RS5 and optional on the 2013 S5, n/a on A5, as noted in the 2013 A5/S5/RS5 Product Information Book (Feb 2012) as posted on this forum and then removed.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No, engineering-wise, the supercharger consumes more gas in stop-n-go traffic, because the supercharger is activated at short intervals and that's never efficient for gas consumption.

In terms of personal driving - again, you're very mistaken. I'm always on 'dynamic' mode in city driving, not comfort or auto mode - there's just no way I'm driving in comfy or auto modes . So my driving is not about being gas efficient as I go for speed. Yet, I can easily achieve 18-19 MPG. If I were after gas efficiency in city driving, 20 MPG is very achievable. So, don't think I'm saving gas, because I stomp on the gas hard at each stoplight. In fact, in any stoplight with at least 2 lanes, I always pull ahead of the other car at the stoplight. Probably, one of these days, I'll put in in comfy mode and drive like a turtle to see if I can get 21 MPG for city driving, but I might die of boredom before I consume all 16 gallons.

The V6 Supercharger does better in highway driving, reaching 25-27 mpg. So far, I've done 24-25 mpg and I've heard other S5 owners got to 27mpg. But I don't know if 27MPG is possible with my kind of aggressive driving where I always try to hit 100-110 if I'm on the highway.

Originally Posted by Huey52
Although I applaud your tenacity of opinion, and don't doubt your own experience, stictly from an engineering perspective the V6T should be more fuel efficient than the V8. The intercooler provides a denser charge at all times and when not in boost it's a V6 after all, and lighter to boot. However, personal driving style (easy/lead foot) and typical driving environment(highway/byway mix) are the primary components of fuel economy.

Oh, and I've known Audi managers to have poor intel as well.

Last edited by ayap; 03-20-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK, I had a 2008 S5 6-speed and now have a 2010 S4 DSG. My driving style hasn't changed and I get better mileage in town with the S4. Did I love the V8-yes. But I like this supercharged V6 even more. And I agree with getting the sport diff. It transforms the car.

Quick Reply: 2013 S5 - No rear differential?