Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

2014 S5 rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 S5 rear brakes

Do I have to have an OBDII scan tool to replace rear pads and rotors, and if so which scan tool should I buy that will work. (not the most expensive one)

Thank you in advance. Steven Kingsbury
Old 06-05-2023, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,759 Posts

You don't need a tool that can scan codes, like a generic OBD-II scanner. You need a tool that can initiate "basic settings". J540 (EPB), basic settings, group 007 (open) and group 006 (close). Some useful tools (cheaper ones) have one button actions that perform those tasks (Foxwell, e.g.). More openly useful tools simply provide direct access to the concepts (VCDS, e.g.). VCDS will always be my first recommendation for a diag tool for a B8; there's no reason for any B8 owner to not own one. But if you don't have a Windows laptop, Carista and OBDeleven are mobile device apps. Note, you can't do change operations with those without additional cost.

https://caristaapp.com/en/supported-cars/audi/s5/b8
Carista is kind of mixed bag between full access tools like VCDS and OBDeleven (only with the $50/year Pro subscription) and one button limited access tools like Foxwell. But it has as cheap as a monthly $10 subscription so you can kick it in only when you need to. Also, Carista licensing will only be present on one ecosystem. You buy it through Google Play, you're licensed to operate the app on iOS, etc. The web site no longer lists specifically what falls under free actions vs subscription actions.
Old 06-06-2023, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
You don't need a tool that can scan codes, like a generic OBD-II scanner. You need a tool that can initiate "basic settings". J540 (EPB), basic settings, group 007 (open) and group 006 (close). Some useful tools (cheaper ones) have one button actions that perform those tasks (Foxwell, e.g.). More openly useful tools simply provide direct access to the concepts (VCDS, e.g.). VCDS will always be my first recommendation for a diag tool for a B8; there's no reason for any B8 owner to not own one. But if you don't have a Windows laptop, Carista and OBDeleven are mobile device apps. Note, you can't do change operations with those without additional cost.

https://caristaapp.com/en/supported-cars/audi/s5/b8
Carista is kind of mixed bag between full access tools like VCDS and OBDeleven (only with the $50/year Pro subscription) and one button limited access tools like Foxwell. But it has as cheap as a monthly $10 subscription so you can kick it in only when you need to. Also, Carista licensing will only be present on one ecosystem. You buy it through Google Play, you're licensed to operate the app on iOS, etc. The web site no longer lists specifically what falls under free actions vs subscription actions.
Is there a specific Foxwell you recommend?
Old 06-06-2023, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,759 Posts

After my experience with Foxwell support after problems with an NT644 Pro and a GLS350 Bluetec, I don't recommend any Foxwell. Besides, those handheld devices are such a pita to use, click click click click, compared to a computer UI device.

But if your experience with Foxwell is other and you like their stuff, then whichever one they say does the EPB on an Audi. I assume the entry level scan tool that can do that will be an NT5xx, appears to to be NT530 currently. But it appears Foxwell is finally doing something about that human interface design, and there's an NT710 more tablet style device (though the screen is still small, 5.5" touchscreen). But for those kinds of monies, you're better off with VCDS for $200. And you can get OBDeleven with a 12 month Pro for less. And you can get Carista with a one month subscription for $50, and that you don't have to pay extra to plug it into different makes. While the Foxwell are multi make, it appears the base price only gets you one make support.

Stepping into the more expensive multi-make tablets, I'd be more apt to go Autel then Foxwell.

https://www.foxwelltech.us/support-fun-list.html
They have a site that shows what models support what functions for a given vehicle module, but it's not the easiest thing to use. In this case, you have to know to pick 53-parking brake control. Then look for models that list "all system all function" or "all system all function advanced".
Old 07-31-2023, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All you really need is a torx bit to release the PB and pads.