Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

3G MMI iPod problems - stuck loading?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3G MMI iPod problems - stuck loading?

I have an iPod touch (4th gen with iOS 4.1) which I can not seem to get going in the S5. I recently put my iPod adapter back into the glove box and plugged in my iTouch to test it out, however, when I switch to MEDIA and choose the iPod source (it does show my iPod's name as an available source) the MMI screen just shows "loading" and never gets any further. Has anyone experienced similar issues?

FYI as well -- I have NO songs on my iPod if that makes a difference. I was hoping to test and see if I could possibly get any music output while streaming with the Slacker application instead of using the 3.5mm Aux AMI cable.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have no songs on your iPod, it won't find anything to "load." I have not been able to get my phone to play anything other than locally-stored songs. Pandora and other streaming services haven't worked for me. Since you're using an iPod Touch, how do you plan to get streaming service while driving?

I would load a few songs onto your Touch first; you'll see the menu when it loads those songs.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

it's look for song files. that's what it's "load"ing. you won't get anywhere with no files. if you want to do an app, use the AUX jack.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Aviator Gray/Blue TT
If you have no songs on your iPod, it won't find anything to "load." I have not been able to get my phone to play anything other than locally-stored songs. Pandora and other streaming services haven't worked for me. Since you're using an iPod Touch, how do you plan to get streaming service while driving?

I would load a few songs onto your Touch first; you'll see the menu when it loads those songs.

Ah, makes sense. I'll give it a shot. I use the aux jack today, but I heard rumors of other people being able to play audio from an external app through the iPod interface if you did it in a certain order. I was going to give it a shot when i ran into that issue. I'll copy an MP3 of some sort to it and try again to see if I can actually confirm the rumor -- even though I'm of the rumor since I swear I had tried that previously.

As for playing streaming radio without Internet access, the 2.0 version of Slacker supports "station caching" which allows you to download up to 25 different stations onto your device, and then play them at your leisure without the need for an Internet connection. I was extremely happy when this option came out as I was completely fed up with the increasingly shrinking playlists on Sirius/XM. Each station has approximately 100 to 200 songs so you end up getting a pretty decent playlist, and the ability to put your own custom stations on the unit as well. You also get the benefit of being able to skip any song you dont want to listen to, and also saving favorite songs/artists (or banning them) on each station.

I purchased an iTouch purely for this purpose alone and I have it permanently mounted to my dash today. I use it as my single source for music now, and no longer have a Sirius subscription. I refresh my stations once a week over WiFi in my garage to update them with new content and go about my business throughout the week.

The app isn't without a few flaws either, it's been completely reliable for me since Apple release iOS4.1.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can stream music via pandora, last FM, Slacker etc via the ipod connect cable.

First off you Must have music on the device to get the audio stream to work.

Connect the device to the ipod cable, wait for it to play music stored on the iPod, Then you must pick up the iPhone/Touch, hit the home button, navigate to your preferred app, open the app and hit the play button. I use this feature all the time in the truck (Tacoma) without error.

That said, MMI 2g or 3g does not play well with iOS products. When you hit the play button in Slacker for example the stream will start and play for about 5-10 seconds... then MMI seems to detect that unauthorized operations are being made (which are unacceptable and will not be tolerated) and it reverts back to the ipod music.

On another note... I was really hoping to be able to bluetooth stream music from the iPad to the car (passengers could navigate and select music on the beautiful screen) but this is not possible either. The iPad is not recognized via bluetooth or ipod cable connection.

Hope I was able to shed a little light on the subject.