Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

500 Miles on New S5 Cab and ice took me out

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading this thread a month back while awaiting delivery of my new S5 cab thinking... damn I hope nothing like that ever happens to me.

Well I took delivery of my new S5 cab 3 weeks ago, had about 900 miles on the clock. Was waiting an intersection giving way to traffic, and a sleepy taxi cab driver who thought I'd moved on looking at the direction of the oncoming traffic I was giving way to, accelerated and rear ended me.

While his car looked pretty much undamaged, my rear bumper was clearly damaged and plastic insert underneath bent out of shape. One of the reverse sensors knocked out completely. Other than that, no apparent metal damage (I hope and pray) though boot required a bit more force to latch closed.... not serious but my car is no longer a virgin I hate to say

Currently in repair shop now and posting here to empathise with you

Sickening feeling in a brand new car... and worse still, nothing I feel I could have done to avoid the accident. **** happens I guess.

How is your car after repairs, any updates ?
Old 05-22-2010, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am sorry to hear about your accident-it is a sickening feeling! My accident was caused by my stupidity-yours was caused by the other driver's stupidity. I hope you have a good body shop-that's the key. Any body shop can fix them-but you want them to appear as if it never happened, and use original Audi parts. Also the insurance companies will take short cuts on things you don't even realize. I was fortunate-my body shop owner was a close personal friend as well as my insurance agent-so they made sure no corners were cut.

My S5 Cab is back on the road and looks like new. Though my passenger door and front bumper and front fender was damaged-there was no frame or suspension damage. Mine was all cosmetic-but boy these cars use expensive make up!

My only issue the dealership had to get back involved in was the reprogramming of right headlight. Since it was scratched-I had it replaced with a new one. It had to be reprogrammed with computer-and that took about 15 minutes. The owner of the dealership came and looked at the car-and told me-if he hadn't known the car had been damaged (because they were the group that located the parts) he would never had known it-because of the excellent work done by the body shop.

I can testify there is life after stupidity and I am almost beyond it. Almost.... last night I found my self looking around the hood-thinking I saw something that didn't look right-but it was simply the light and shadows. Ha-ha -like I said almost........
Old 05-22-2010, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sucks but glad your ok. Bet you'll go slower or call in sic now.

Originally Posted by tboy58
Well- needless to say in a moments time I became as sick as you can get-but not because of illness.

I left my house Tuesday morning-the sun was shining but snow on the roads. I have driven my wife's 2010 Q5 in the snow multiple times and it has never even slid or spun the tires.

I am less than a mile from my house in my new S5 Cab -it has less than 500 miles on it. I am driving no more than 20 mph and I go to take a slight curve left-but it doesn't turn. Immediately I knew I was in trouble-I let off accelerator and turned it as hard as could turn and "nothing" it continued straight.

As in slow motion- I slid into the ditch and took out an old wire fence. Needless to say- as I sat there I could only imagine the damage. I reluctantly got out and walked around on passenger side- the door had a dent the size of a crater, the right head light was damaged, scratches along the entire passenger side and the hood was scratched as well. The front quarter was dented and scratched and the front bumper was as well.

Gosh I was sick. As soon as a friend was able to pull me out of the ditch-two other cars slid in the ditch in the same spot. Just a freak lay of the road-enough of a downward slope to that curve-when iced the momentum carries you into the ditch.

My dear friend has the best body shop in town and works on all the Jags, Porsches, Audis, custom bikes etc. He called my dealer which is 90 miles away and together they found parts in 7 different states. Since S5 Cab is so new-no one dealer has many parts. In fact three trim pieces had to be ordered from Germany.

All parts should arrive in 10 days and I should be back on road in 30 days.

Hood- repainted; passenger door-replaced; front quarter-repainted, front bumper-replaced-front trim pieces-replaced, back quarter-repainted, trim pieces along bottom-replaced.

Shields all along the bottom, had some scratches so they will be replaced; two passenger side wheels had a few scratches so they will be replaced. I am sure we will replace both passenger side Pirellis as well.

Nothing damaged on top/windows/engine or suspension/frame. In fact everything that even has a scratch we will replace.

As we put it on the lift and looked underneath- the protective shields than run the length and breath were scratched up but they so protect the S5 from damage.

Its all cosmetic, so to say, but expensive none the less. I see why these cars are so expensive!

That one mile ride devalued my S5 $10,000 -so I will keep it for awhile.

Oh yea-the good news is that I stopped 5 ft from a huge old tree- the only thing hurt on me was my pride and feelings that my new S5 Cab which I had researched and picked out was now hurt. Oh well- as my daughter said- "Dad, they are making them everyday.'

On top of that-its almost 60 and sunny today-and I am driving a old man Lincoln rental car-haha!!!!!