Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 8 Speed Tiptronic Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 8 Speed Tiptronic Problems

I'm new to this forum and I would like to start by saying I love my A5. Over the years I've owned 3 cars which were Motor Trend Cars of the Year, none of which draw the attention and kudos of the A5.

Now for the downside. I was wondering if anyone is experiencing shifting problems with their A5. I have a 2011 that started acting strange on the 2-3 shift from day 1. Now with just over 2000 miles it's getting worse. The problem is most noticeable when taking off on a hill with about half throttle applied. When you get to the 2-3 shift you sometimes get a shift bump with no change in engine RPM or you get a real hard shift. When shifting in manual mode it's always smooth and predictable. This tells me the transmission is probably healthy but it has a program or sensor issue.

Today I brought it to the dealership and took the mechanic out for a ride and he agrred there was an issue. They performed a reflash which did nothing. Now I need to bring it back and have some data downloaded and sent to Audi.

I've never had a new car in 20 years shift so bad, I hope they can fix it without deep surgery.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

My 8-speed suffers from an occasional rough downshift when slowing down gently (as if the car is holding the gear too long). Brought the car to my dealer, took a mechanic (their "transmission expert", as I was told) for a drive and had him witness the problem. The dealer's "fix" was to plug the car to a computer, tell me that it threw no error codes (I could have told them that...) and that it had the latest version of the software. In other words, total waste of my time.

My guess is that our problems are lie either the poorly coded adaptation software or the TCU itself.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well my car has been in the shop for 3 days now going through a series of shift adaptation programs. If the car does not shift properly with the factory program or latest reflash, something tells me that the transmission has some mechanical abnormalities. Does anyone think that Audi should extend warranties been their products must be controlled by custom programs ?
I also noticed that my 2010 A4(6 speed) loaner has a lot more power than the 2011 A5(8 speed).
Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i was in a mcdonalds parking lot pulled into a spot on a small incline. The car wasnt going as i slowly pushed on the gas pedal, and then it jumped and went right into the pole at the end of the spot. Havent eaten mcdonalds since. On a serious note though, that really happened, and the lag shows up from time to time. Hills suck with this 8spd
Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

oh, and i had a rough spot when starting to go in the beginning, but it certainly has smoothed out since, just like the dealer said it would.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcg913
i was in a mcdonalds parking lot pulled into a spot on a small incline. The car wasnt going as i slowly pushed on the gas pedal, and then it jumped and went right into the pole at the end of the spot. Havent eaten mcdonalds since. On a serious note though, that really happened, and the lag shows up from time to time. Hills suck with this 8spd
This sounds like driver error to me...
Old 12-10-2010, 05:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Hash Brown
This sounds like driver error to me...
Im glad you think so. So its driver error that the car wouldnt respond to light touches on the gas pedal and then jumped out. i can magicly control the lag and so its my fault. got it.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Why would you be "lightly touching" the gas pedal?

From a standing start, you wouldn't "lightly touch" the pedal. In a parking lot situation (or other tight spaces), assuming that you have an automatic transmission, you almost don't have to touch the pedal for small movements. The car has a turbocharger - and unless you want to drop some coin into the car, all turbos have some level of lag before the car starts to move - and as the owner/driver of the car, isn't that something that the driver should be expected to know and factor into ANY driving situation?

I wouldn't be so blunt to simply say "driver error", but I don't think I would blame the car.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

do you not comprehend that the car was on an incline? last i checked, automatics dont exactly just roll up a hill. How would you suggest i get up a hill without the gas pedal, enlighten me.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

turbo lag isnt exactly predictable either now is it?

Quick Reply: A5 8 Speed Tiptronic Problems