Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 mechatronic unit failure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 mechatronic unit failure?

Bought the car back in May last year and it started acting up recently around 7000 miles. I have a 2.0T. Steering vibration when at a stop sign with brake pedal down and turning the wheel, or when reversing and turning the wheel. Then on inclines, even the slightest, the car's RPM would fluctuate in 2/3rd gear between 2200-2400 rpm around 25-40 mph, sometimes even up to 60mph until I pushed the pedal further to increase the RPM and force a gear change. Other times I let it be and after gaining speed the gear would change as well. Around 8500 miles I had the oil sensor problem. Ask me to put a quart, I did, asked for more, I put another, asked for more. I didn't put the 3rd and call my dealership.

I finally or a chance to drop it this last Tuesday and got a loaner from them. The called the same day, informed me some hose had to be changed for the power steering and they have it in stock so that's gonna be done. They ordered a oil hood sensor because the engine oil light was faulty. Their computer did not show any faults for the incline rpm problem. I should have the car Wednesday.

I got a call yesterday saying they went through Audi's guidelines and their not satisfied with the RPM issue and wanna keep the car for more diagnostics. Fine...I get a call today saying they had to order a mechatronic unit? Supposedly there was a update to the engine unit by Audi to fix the rpm fluctuation and when they tried to update the unit, it locked up. So according to them the mechatronic unit will have to be replaced. That's on order and they expect it by Monday and hopefully car is ready by Tuesday. Service rep stated it's good that the failure happened there and not on the road...

My concern is the car has 10,000 miles and all these problems...has anyone else has their mechatronic unit fail on them? What is the cause for it failing?

Ps:
I was about to get the APR tune and thankfully didn't yet...who knows...Audi wouldn't have fixed this issue since warranty would have been void with the chip.