Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

A5 V. BMW

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 V. BMW

This is going to get me into trouble. But I want to hear some hard core Audi fans support.

I currently have a 2004 A4 3.0. My twin brother and I got our cars at the same time, he opted for a 2004 BMW 330ci SMG.

I understand my car (The A4) isnt a good comparison to his car, but him being my twin, there has always been competition over whos car is better. I hate to admit it but his car, when it comes to performance and speed, definitely is better.

Now it's time for new cars. He's dead set on a new 335i coupe and I am interested in an A5. I want to beat him this time, but am beginning the painful process of admitting to myself that I wont with the A5. The S5 would but thats out of my price range, and I dont want a gas guzzler.
So has anyone actually driven the A5 3.2? How does it compare to the new 335? Has Audi finally managed to step it up to "that" level? LEts be honest, they've talked about it for years, but havent managed to do it. Does the 3.2 hold a candle to the twin turbo 300HP BMW powerplant? I just dont want another NICE, but frankly, underpowered, under perormer . I LOVE my A4 and I still maintain that it is a bettercar than the 3 series, but when it comes to performance, I cant take being 2nd place. I respect Audi too much for that.

I know a quick response will be "Quit complaining and get the 335." Well, if you were an identical twin, would you want identical cars with your identical brother?

Input please...
Old 03-10-2008, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Only the S5 numbers match up with the 335 BMW....
Old 03-10-2008, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sadly, no... With the A5, u'll beat the 328xi coupe hands down..

Leave the 335xi to the S5 and the M3 to the (future) RS5!

But the A5 is so much better than any BMW in so many, many ways. Dont think you'll regret it.

Cant wait for mine to arrive!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Step it up? Since when did Audi need to step it up to that level? You realize Audi was turbo

and BMW was the NA engine guys until last year. S5 2.7tt set the bar, and that's when BMW started thinking about coming out with a turbo.

As far as your question is concerned, you aren't going to do it with an A5 if your only concern is straight line speed.

The A5 hads down overall , in terms of looks and refinement is simply a more luxurious car than the 335.

The 335 as a sport , straight line, speed will be better performance wise than the 3.2, however, the S4 will be a 6-cylinder forced induction car and it will be cheaper than the s5, and it will perform better than the 335.

The common misconception is the A5 is simply a coupe form of the new '09 A4, in some ways it is in some ways it is not, the A5/S5 series of cars are meant to be GT cars, especially the S5, with it's v8, and why the upcoming S4 won't get the v8.

If you are waiting on buying a new car the new S4 which likely debut sometime in '09 is probably more the car you are looking for , it will price higher than the A5 but likely less than the S5. And will be more a direct competitor to the 335.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No matter what you buy, there will always be something "better"...

...unless you buy a Veyron, but who can afford that?

So, why care about what your twin decides to buy? Why not just buy what is right for YOU, a car the YOU like.

BTW - I've driven the A5 3.2, and it feels underpowered IMHO.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: A5 V. BMW

If it were me and all I cared about was going as fast as I can for the $$$ I would get the 335. Since your brother is an identical twin you probably want something different and with some personality which the A5 is a better car. I can tell you that driving around in my S5 over the last few weeks people take notice. The A5/S5 look is very capturing and I bet people will think it is much cooler than the Audi.

On another note you will have AWD which I think is a big advantage. You might get better fuel economy and the interior is far beyond the 335.

Its all a matter of perspective. Keep being different!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Get a 135! Same engine, less weight, cheaper, faster. ;-)

But never as nice as an A5
Old 03-10-2008, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default If you "dont want another NICE, but frankly, underpowered, under perormer"

Then don't get the A5. The A5 is a very nice car aesthetically, but not such a nice car performance wise. A BMW 335 will flat-out destroy the A5 in an acceleration run.

The A5 needs more performance. Period. A Honda Accord V6 Coupe can out-accelerate an A5. There's something wrong when a run-of-the-mill $28k Japanese coupe can out-perform a $45k "Premium" German Coupe.

The A5 has a special design, Special interior but it's powered by an engine that is far from being special.

I have a rough time grasping the Idea of the A5. The A5 is one of those cars that looks faster than it actually is.

And what's the deal with the non-functioning sunroof? Audi couldn't figure out how to design a sunroof for the A5/S5?

Other than that the A5 is a very nice car. It just needs more power and a functioning sunroof in order for me to give it consideration.

Get the 335 If you want an exclusive level of performance. The A5 doesn't offer an exclusive level of performance. It offers Toyota Solara like performance.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy what makes you happy.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Which is sad. There was a time when the Audi "S" competed against the BMW "M"s

Quick Reply: A5 V. BMW