Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

About to buy A5 S-Line model

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
To be fair, the "cheap" V6 in the new Mustang makes 305 bhp and runs the 1/4 mile in the high 13s and while I do think the S-Line package is a great deal, the name itself is somewhat misleading. Lexus is doing the same thing with their F-Sport package though.
And BMW has been doing it with the M-Sport package for years. Considering the S5 is nothing more than A5 3.0T, I don't see how it's "misleading".
Old 10-01-2012, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeylop
Hi all I'm about to purchase my first Audi, A5 S-Line model, and have a question pertaining to extra dealer options

I'm planning on purchasing the Audi Care package for maintenance, but not sure yet about the extended warranty. Is this something to consider?

Does Audi offer a protective sealer? Is it worth getting it? Or is this something I can do later, plus I live in California so the weather is pretty good.

Thank you
Audi Care is a must, unless you're like me and enjoy doing the work yourself.

Originally Posted by MonzaA5
^^ Ignore the above troll. The S-line package is well worth the money. You get sport suspension, nicer looking exterior and MUCH better seats.
Originally Posted by a5sport
Yes...ignore the Troll...it is a nice option.

S line® Package
With a more aggressive suspension, 19-inch wheels, and an interior makeover, the S line® Package sharpens the attitude and appearance of the A5.
Package contents
- Power driver seat with fore/aft, recline, height, and lumbar adjustment
- Stone guard body covers
- Leather/Perforated Alcantara® seating surfaces
- S line front and rear bumpers
- 19" 5-segment spoke design wheels with 255/35 summer tires
- Aluminum door sill inlays
- Black headliner
- 3-spoke, flat-bottomed, leather multifunction sport steering wheel
- Twelve-way power sport front seats (includes four-way power lumbar adjustment)
- Sport suspension calibration (-20 mm ride height)
Agreed about the troll. I personally will never buy another Audi unless it's an S series or w/ the Sline trim level. All black interior is much nicer than the grandma beige or old fogey grey. The seats are frakin' awesome.

Originally Posted by bagwell
yep the Audicare maintenance pkg is just a few oil changes....note its approx every 10K miles...so I think its 5 oil changes and that's about it.
Filters and a spark plug change @ 35K. If you have an Auto trans, that service alone is worth getting AC.

Extended is really a gamble - up to you.

Opti Coat may be a cheaper solution than Clear Film on the hood, etc.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...13-Opti-Coated
Old 10-02-2012, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Considering the S5 is nothing more than A5 3.0T, I don't see how it's "misleading".
Plus the option of the Sports Diff, ADS and DSG set it apart from the A5.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A5 S-line vs. S5 base PP. I saw a newly purchased A5 yesterday and it appeared plain. Black/Black usually looks great but this A5 was missing the WOW factor. The S-line gives it that Wow factor but you spend the same as a simply optioned S5.

This particular A5 had 18" rims, dull plain dual exhaust pipes and plain smaller calipers and rotors.

The S5 by comparison looks aggressive if left plain stock. Quad exhaust chrome tips, largers rotors/colored cailpers, S badging, and Sport seats etc. Add the 19" optional rims and it looks awesome from any angle.

Folks need to compare a fully equipped A5 @ $48-54K with a simply equipped (19" rims, B&O & Advance Key) S5 @ 52-55K, where you get an awesome 3.0SC 333hp-Sweet shifting S-Tronic. The S5 is sooo much the better deal IMHO!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NHman
Plus the option of the Sports Diff, ADS and DSG set it apart from the A5.
And larger brakes...different interior...the Supercharger...as opposed to the Turbocharger on the A5...yep..."the S5 is nothing more than A5 3.0T".

Can't wait to get my A5 3.0T...but probably won't notice the difference...darn.

Originally Posted by lmariorod
A5 S-line vs. S5 base PP. I saw a newly purchased A5 yesterday and it appeared plain. Black/Black usually looks great but this A5 was missing the WOW factor. The S-line gives it that Wow factor but you spend the same as a simply optioned S5.

Folks need to compare a fully equipped A5 @ $48-54K with a simply equipped (19" rims, B&O & Advance Key) S5 @ 52-55K, where you get an awesome 3.0SC 333hp-Sweet shifting S-Tronic. The S5 is sooo much the better deal IMHO!
Agreed. That's why I went for my S5 optioned the way it is. Virtually the same price as a comparably equipped A5 S-line. And only costing slightly more on the monthly lease payment than my current A5.

Last edited by a5sport; 10-02-2012 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO I would pass on ALL dealer "recommended" add ons which are just meant to increase their bottom line, and with the money saved look for some of the after-market mods you may be tempted to do later on. If you will do paint protection, do it at a specialty shop....NOT the dealer!!
Old 10-02-2012, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by a5sport
And larger brakes...different interior...the Supercharger...as opposed to the Turbocharger on the A5...yep..."the S5 is nothing more than A5 3.0T".

Can't wait to get my A5 3.0T...but probably won't notice the difference...darn.
You will notice the difference in terms of acceleration. There will be no improvement in handling, braking or steering feel (in fact, the A5 might actually be better because it has a lighter front end). That's why I say that the S5 is basically A5 3.0T. It's like BMW 328i vs. 335i or Mercedes C300 vs C350. If you want to get a "special" version fo the A5, you have to pony up for the RS5.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow...I find that hard to believe, but I'll not pass judgement because the A5 was never a player for me once they dropped the 3.2.

I could not see spending 45K for a 211hp 2.0T no matter how great it looked or better low end torque it provided.

I've read where others said the A5 was "all show and no go"
I'm sure that's overstated but the value wasn't there for me.

On the other hand, I can say the S5 is all show and no joke, and does everything quite well.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

You will notice the difference in terms of acceleration. There will be no improvement in handling, braking or steering feel (in fact, the A5 might actually be better because it has a lighter front end). That's why I say that the S5 is basically A5 3.0T. It's like BMW 328i vs. 335i or Mercedes C300 vs C350. If you want to get a "special" version fo the A5, you have to pony up for the RS5.
I am sure that with the inclusion of the Sports Diff on the S5 I have on order, there will be a significant difference in the handling between my current A5 w/Sport Package & the S5.

I'll let you know in about 4-6 weeks.

You are correct in your assumption about the added front end weight affecting the handling, as the V8 S5 did not handle as well (think Skid Pad g-force results & stopping distances) as the 2.0T due to the weight difference. But the weight difference between the 2.0t & the 3.0 is not as great, and therefore will not have the same effect.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...trumented-test

Also, the S5 gets body mods & interior differences not included on the A5, or even the S-line cars. BMW & M-B do not do that with the models you mentioned, however. You have to go the the AMG versions to get the more aggressive look.

But, you have your opinion...and I have mine...and we are both entitled to them.

Last edited by a5sport; 10-02-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Why don't you test drive both, and then pull the trigger? The 2013 S5 looks very good to me, even compared to my 2012 S5.

I bought the 2012 S5 because I like the V8 sound. But that's me.

Quick Reply: About to buy A5 S-Line model