Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

About to buy A5 S-Line model

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 10:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MonzaA5
When was the last time you've been up here? Under the new laws, exceeding the speed limit by 50 kph (~30 mph) is considered "street racing". This means that if you're caught doing 90 mph on the highway, you will automatically: a) have you driver's license suspended; b) have you car impounded on the spot; and c) get charged with a criminal offense and, if convicted, fined anywhere between $2,000 and $10,000 (not to mention, get a criminal record). And they don't care if you're not Canadian either...the OPP loves to pull over Americans who are not familiar with the laws up here. Might want keep that in mind next time you visit
Back in the late 1980's, I drove from Buffalo to Toronto, and from Buffalo to Detroit (across Canada), many many times, and it was common to see cars going 90mph or faster. I recall being able to pass the OPP on the QEW without any problem. My Canadian friends would tell me that as long as you drove without being reckless or crazy, the OPP would not stop you. I initially thought it was hard to believe, but I certainly tested it many times and was never stopped.
Lots of trips up to Mosport (race track) on the QEW, driving behind a lot of Porsches (and a few Ferrari's and Lamborghini's) doing triple digit speeds, and nobody ever got stopped.
That sucks if its now changed.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uroplatus
Back in the late 1980's, I drove from Buffalo to Toronto, and from Buffalo to Detroit (across Canada), many many times, and it was common to see cars going 90mph or faster. I recall being able to pass the OPP on the QEW without any problem. My Canadian friends would tell me that as long as you drove without being reckless or crazy, the OPP would not stop you. I initially thought it was hard to believe, but I certainly tested it many times and was never stopped.
Lots of trips up to Mosport (race track) on the QEW, driving behind a lot of Porsches (and a few Ferrari's and Lamborghini's) doing triple digit speeds, and nobody ever got stopped.
That sucks if its now changed.
A lot of things have changed since the 80's...and not just in Canada..