Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Adult passengers in the backseats?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adult passengers in the backseats?

Have you taken adult passengers in the backseats for a road trip? If so, how did that work out? Did they ever complain about the low roof or crammed room at the back?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...

rhetorical question
Old 10-09-2009, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've done it a few times. The worst part of it is getting in and out. Even moving the seat up, you need practically be a contortionist to get in and out. The rear passengers typically stumble out of the car - if you do carry passengers, please make sure someone is 'spotting' them as they emerge from the car.

Once back there, leg room is pretty insignificant, but the headroom is actually not that bad, and there is ample room side to side. If the person was a dual leg amputee, it would be nice - there's even 4 cupholders for the passengers in the backseat - 2 in the center armrest that folds down, and two on the sides - which I think is a german middle finger to the US for demanding they put cupholders in cars.

On the passenger side, the front passenger can usually keep their seat far enough forward for the person behind them to have blood circulation to the feet - and still not have their face pressed on the windsheild.

Forgetting adults for a second, my briefcase cannot be stored behind my seat on the floor, if that gives any indication. In my normal driving position (5'11") I am down to a few inches of room behind the drivers seat.

I've had 4 adults in the car, but this is only possible with a cramped drivers position. If you take a deep breath, you can honk the horn.

I'm being slightly facetious here, but only slightly.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Of course!

They must be short, and preferably not having legs... but you can.

I think by now you got the point, but I'll narrate my own experience. I got to ride in the back of my own car for 4hr and it was not confortable at all. My wife gave me enough space for my feet, but contrary to what has been written before I couldn't sit straight as there was not enough head room for me (I'm just 5'10").
I survived the ride... it wasn't miserable, but barely acceptable. 60min is OK, 120 may be... more is not.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tubi
Have you taken adult passengers in the backseats for a road trip? If so, how did that work out? Did they ever complain about the low roof or crammed room at the back?
My son is over six feet tall and he sat for an hour trip and didnt complain.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by CAP930/A5
My son is over six feet tall and he sat for an hour trip and didnt complain.
Of course not. The other alternative is to walk back home.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ok i'm 6'2. I have no trouble riding back there. Granted the way I'm shaped I'm short on headroom but I fit. Tall people have no trouble sitting in front of me on test drives. Would i like more rear room? Yes! But it's pretty good for a coupe. There's a technique to getting out smoothly. Had a client tell me the A5 has as much rear room as their Lexus IS.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have had 5 hours trip in the back seat of an A4 Cab and it sucks. Mainly because of the seating position (my back was literrally straight up the whole entire time and leaning left right just doesn't fix that. The A5/S5 has much more room back there compared to the A4 Cab. I like the way they position the seat (less straight up and the seat kind of hug you in rather than letting you slide back and for). Any long trip, i will say yes. All this with the assumption that you're a slim driver like me (5ft11 165lbs). if you're the type who always try to seat way far back then forget about carrying anyone.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Also, if you're thinking about carrying your family member then sure. but if you're trying to carry customers or car pool to work then forget about the A5/S5. It's a huge liability to carry passengers in the back seat of a COUPE.