Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Alcantara seat trim

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did anyone of you expirienced any problems with premature wear of the leater sides that come with the alcantara ?

The sales manager at my dealership showed me his A4 B8 with alcantara sits and 35.000km on the clock, and the leather part looked terrible.

He strongly advised to get the full leather on my S5 (which I did) since the lether that comes with the leather pcg is of higher quality that the one which comes with Alcantara.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a full believer in the alcantara and have it in both cars. I have silver alcantara in the S4 and assuming you treat the car properly and not as a garbage truck, it really doesn't require and cleaning.

The best parts about it are that is stays cool in the summer and you don't slide around when driving the car. I hate all leather seats and sliding back and forth.

As far as the side leather, all leather needs to be taken care of and if allowed to dry out, will break down quickly. I've got 47,000 on my S4 and have no issues.

Good luck.

Eric.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts

I have had only leather seats in my cars since the 90's but decided to go with the Alcantara this time around because it came with the S-Line package. Not only is it beautiful to look at, as others have said it is cool in the heat and keeps you in place while driving. I would go with it again in a heartbeat.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:37 AM

I just got an S4 with very badly damagedd alcantara seats which I am going to try to clean using the Leather Master foam stuff etc..this is from neglect. If you apply a protectant every 6mo or so they should be fine. Advantages of alcantara are the velvet like feel obviously, but they will keep your *** planted when railing around corners, giving you more control over the car. A lot of race cars use it. The key is preventative maintenance, just like the rest of the car.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I had the same exact situation

Originally Posted by tiger4366
Would welcome thoughts around pros and cons of this? Am waiting on a ordered car, but have found one that has everything that I ordered, but has the alcantara trim. I didn't initially want this, so now I'm wondering if it's worth having my dealer pursue a dealer trade, or continue to wait. I am close to having it built, but it still may be a a few months off from delivery

Thanks in advance for the advice.
The car had everything i wanted except it had alcantara. I had had the car now for a few months and i love the seats. I thought they would be annoying and get dirty but i have had no complaints about them so far. Plus they give the interior great contrast with the black alcantara.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same exact situation, but now i love my alcantara, i have had no problems that i thought i would
Old 04-23-2009, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks to all for the comments. Looks like now the car I was pursuing won't happen. There was a car exactly like I have an order in for, apart from it has the alcantara seats, which I didn't order.

But, they're not willing to do a dealer trade with the dealer my order is with and I have too much down as a deposit to just buy this one, plus I got a decent deal with dealer #1. I guess dealer #2 thinks they're in a better position to sell it themselves instead of dealer-trading it.

But, for some reason, they've had it on their lot since March and still haven't moved it. Dealer #1 tells me Dealer #2 has already "punched" the car, hence it's already seen as being sold and warranty clock ticking and whatever incentives that took from Audi in March would have be un-wound and they're not willing to do it.