Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

For All S5 Owners, Do You Drive Tip Or 6 Speed and Why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spaniardone
I also had a headache debating whether or not to get a 6MT or 6AT in my future S5. I've driven both and both are great, V8 is a beast in any form or shape. I must say that paddle-shifting is contagius and the S mode does it without having to shift 500 times for interurban rides. To me and taking into account the only few times I had to rev my 3.2 to the extreme in the past 2 years, I think I am going go with the Tiptronic or S-tronic, whichever is available for 2011. If I lived in Europe, anywhere in Europe, I would take a 6MT anytime but for US roads and US life.. a good automatic transmission does it, not just any automatic like those crappy GM or Chryler cripple gearboxes but a german engineered automatic, big difference!
To be honest, spaniard, the tiptronic in the C6 Vette spanks the S5, but they are both rubbish compared to the manual. 5000 RPM clutch dumps, what? There's a reason that the auto is slower 0-60
Old 04-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

hows is the response with the paddle shifters, is there a big big difference shifting gears with the tip compared to the dsg in the v6T? or is the response only minimal?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by k7-seven
hows is the response with the paddle shifters, is there a big big difference shifting gears with the tip compared to the dsg in the v6T? or is the response only minimal?
I test drove the tiptronic one for about 5 minutes - put it in S mode and it took two shifts to put a big frown on my face. it took FOREVER to change gears, and they were nice and comfortable. There was no neck-snapping thrust like with the manual.

The DSG / S Tronic is a whole different beast. It's a manual tranny with a clutch and everything - but the clutch and shifter works by electric servos instead of your left foot and right hand. It's similar in concept to what F1 cars use, but not QUITE as fast.

Boiled down - tiptronic = automatic slushbox trying to be a manual, whereas S Tronic/DSG = manual trying to be an automatic...
Old 04-13-2010, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

the vette spanks the S5 because it has 430+hp, and weighs less than 3300 lbs. doesn't matter which tranny you have.

If your "spank" is referring to quality, and shift responsiveness, i would still give the nod to the Audi.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

difference in response time is huge. You have to try it to really feel the difference.

Night and day.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

???

You just mentioned a little over a week ago that you were getting at 2010 A5 2.0, because the S5 was $10k more, plus gas guzzler tax?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

FWIW, I spent 1 hour 20 muinute last PM driving home (18 mile trip) on the Westside Highway, NYC. If that's the kind of driving you will be doing I think it would be merciful for any car to get it with an automatic. If I lived where my daughter does in the Berkshires I would get the manual - no question.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by IAS5
the vette spanks the S5 because it has 430+hp, and weighs less than 3300 lbs. doesn't matter which tranny you have.

If your "spank" is referring to quality, and shift responsiveness, i would still give the nod to the Audi.
I was referring specifically to the transmission. I drove them both in the same week. The vette's shifts were firmer, crisper, and faster than the S5 and it didn't seem to throttle-down the motor as much to match the next gear. It would nudge you in the seat a bit at each gear change - still nothing like a manual, but more like a THseries with a very light shift kit installed...
Old 04-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anybody's brain adknowledge a 0.3sec difference between an S5 Tiptronic and a Manual??? So shift-paddles in S5 steering wheel aren't faster than holding the wheel with your left hand and shifting with the right one? I mean there has to be equally fast if not faster! perhaps the difference rely in the power giving through the gear relations... but I mean 0.3 difference to 60mph?? I don't think anyone in here except perhaps a professional racetrack driver could achieve that difference and feel the extra 0.3 extra juice.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spaniardone
Can anybody's brain adknowledge a 0.3sec difference between an S5 Tiptronic and a Manual??? -- BLAH BLAH BLAH -- I don't think anyone in here except perhaps a professional racetrack driver could achieve that difference and feel the extra 0.3 extra juice.
Yes, some of us CAN tell a difference, and that's why we choose manual.

Quick Reply: For All S5 Owners, Do You Drive Tip Or 6 Speed and Why?