Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

For All S5 Owners, Do You Drive Tip Or 6 Speed and Why?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s5forum
for you i would immediately go to a GIAC dealer and have them flash the car. when in dynamic the car stays in s mode and will stay in gear and go to redline much more often. The awe exhaust or other brand will just make the difference even better with more power. After driving a caymans for 3 years in Miami i wanted to pull my leg off. the tip works great and i still have my mustang with shift. my left calf is bigger than the right and i workout quite a bit. i miss it though
How is shifting the gears though? I really wanna keep pushing those paddles all day long.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

The new 7 speed RS5 is not an auto - it's a standard with an automatic clutch and gear shift. Same with F1 cars, and all other high profile racing spec cars... the only races you will find a hydraulic automatic transmission is in bracket drag races where consistency wins...
Old 04-15-2010, 11:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone who chooses Tiptronic probably doesn't know how to drive a manual... bring on the flames.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudisticS5
Anyone who chooses Tiptronic probably doesn't know how to drive a manual... bring on the flames.
I didn't learn how to drive a manual until about a year ago, so my transmission of choice has been automatics with or without Tiptronic.

With that said, the S5 that I will be ordering will most likely have a manual transmission. The only reason why I am still wavering a bit is whether or not my not-so-great knees will get back at me later on.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by questionlp
I didn't learn how to drive a manual until about a year ago, so my transmission of choice has been automatics with or without Tiptronic.

With that said, the S5 that I will be ordering will most likely have a manual transmission. The only reason why I am still wavering a bit is whether or not my not-so-great knees will get back at me later on.
That's a fair concern. My last car was a G35 coupe in manual and I tore my ACL playing softball and couldn't drive the car for 2-3 months. It was in the back of my mind when I ordered my S5 in manual but, in all honesty, you'd be missing out big time on being "in touch" with car with an automatic. The manual in this car is so sweet and you really feel like you're driving the car, not just steering. Plus, as my dad always said, real men drive stick
Old 04-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elf_cruiser
The new 7 speed RS5 is not an auto - it's a standard with an automatic clutch and gear shift. Same with F1 cars, and all other high profile racing spec cars... the only races you will find a hydraulic automatic transmission is in bracket drag races where consistency wins...
Tiptronic, DSG, PDK.. you name it! They are all automatic transmissions, period. To say that a DSG is a standard with an automatic clutch is such a lie.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spaniardone
Tiptronic, DSG, PDK.. you name it! They are all automatic transmissions, period. To say that a DSG is a standard with an automatic clutch is such a lie.
With all due respect, you're about as mechanically inclined as Martha Stuart. I suggest you get your facts straight before trying to bash the information that I've given out. If you think I am making stuff up, please see the following links-

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a.../photo_02.html

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/dsg_faq.htm

"VW's direct shift gearbox (DSG) is a 6 speed dual clutch manual-like transmission that automatically shifts. It has manual transmission like internals with a "brain/valve body" called mechatronics which shifts it. Either VW/Audi or Borg Warner makes VW/audi DSG transmissions. It's better than a conventional automatic transmission and great on turbo cars because the more constant power keeps the turbo spooled up. The main disadvantage is that it harder to modify, heavier, and gives slightly lower fuel economy compared to a traditional manual transmission. The fluid and filter should be changed every 40,000 miles."
Old 04-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by elf_cruiser
With all due respect, you're about as mechanically inclined as Martha Stuart. I suggest you get your facts straight before trying to bash the information that I've given out. If you think I am making stuff up, please see the following links-

http://www.motortrend.com/features/a.../photo_02.html

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/dsg_faq.htm

"VW's direct shift gearbox (DSG) is a 6 speed dual clutch manual-like transmission that automatically shifts. It has manual transmission like internals with a "brain/valve body" called mechatronics which shifts it. Either VW/Audi or Borg Warner makes VW/audi DSG transmissions. It's better than a conventional automatic transmission and great on turbo cars because the more constant power keeps the turbo spooled up. The main disadvantage is that it harder to modify, heavier, and gives slightly lower fuel economy compared to a traditional manual transmission. The fluid and filter should be changed every 40,000 miles."
I agree with that DSG is just another automatic type of transmission, whether it comes with a clucth or without it. I've driven all types of automatics in the past and they all act the same, faster or slower shifting yet the same logic
Old 04-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Banned

by the way.. I was given a dealer owned 08 S5 Tip as loaner during a special service I had 2 months ago at my local audi dealer and in S mode it felt as strong and progressive as the manual, I loved the steering mounted paddle-shifter. I wish I had driven it before I purchased mine. I suggest anyone thinking of purchasing an S5 for the first time, to drive both manual and tip and then pick, but not just drive ir around the dealer, take it to the highway, downtown..!! not to mentioned there is not gas guzzler tax and returns better mpg. Someone mentioned here a 0.3sec diff. to 60mph between the tip and manual.. a second would be something but 0.3? non-sense!!
Old 04-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ayecarumba
by the way.. I was given a dealer owned 08 S5 Tip as loaner during a special service I had 2 months ago at my local audi dealer and in S mode it felt as strong and progressive as the manual, I loved the steering mounted paddle-shifter. I wish I had driven it before I purchased mine. I suggest anyone thinking of purchasing an S5 for the first time, to drive both manual and tip and then pick, but not just drive ir around the dealer, take it to the highway, downtown..!! not to mentioned there is not gas guzzler tax and returns better mpg. Someone mentioned here a 0.3sec diff. to 60mph between the tip and manual.. a second would be something but 0.3? non-sense!!
how was shifting the gears with the paddle shifters? was it smooth? or was it laggy? with the paddle shifters can you be entertained by it all day with the S5?

Quick Reply: For All S5 Owners, Do You Drive Tip Or 6 Speed and Why?